Daily Annoyance, The Eternal

Datepalm

First day of classes sucks. Being back in the same place again and knowing its for another year is just depressing and bringing out every bit of anxiety and discomfort I've got about...everything. Though the university has been the more stable and successful part of my life over the past few years and I'm generally enjoying the MA. It's just the cyclicality of it or the sense of being stuck or I don't-know-what. I just want to be done with this place and be moving on to whatever is after it, and, crucially, to find out what the hell that is, because it beats me right now and some of the options may be terrible, but theres a pause before I can tackle figuring it out. It's like being in the second half of a book you don't like very much but want to know the ending of. So you're just pleasurelessly skimming through hundreds of pages of something with vague annoyance. Or 262 days between now and my last exam. Not that I'm counting or anything.

Thesis proposal: filed. Seminar: Done. Number of credits left: 20. Number of credits registered for this year: 35. Number of really lost people directed today: 4. Life goal: never set foot in this postmodernist labyrinth ever again after July 27th.

On 06/11/2016 at 11:42 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Good luck with your exams!

Thank you so much

I think I did all right in the end it was just one of those almost comical moments when one thing goes wrong and then everything starts to go wrong.

Still I think I did alright, have two more exams to do.

10 minutes ago, WarriorWitch said:

Thank you so much

I think I did all right in the end it was just one of those almost comical moments when one thing goes wrong and then everything starts to go wrong.

Still I think I did alright, have two more exams to do.

Keep positive! Only two more now! Wishing you the best of luck on those :)

• 2 weeks later...

A mod in a Facebook group I'm part of - which is a lovely group generally but very big on the whole safe space mentality, trigger and content warnings on everything - just asked me to edit a post about how 'crazy' the weather has been lately. Don't get me wrong, I do see value in that way of thinking up to a point, but the stage at which you can't even refer to the weather as nuts seems well past that point of reasonableness or usefulness.*

(*reasonability and utility? You know what I mean)

I loan this turkey 20$. Months pass and I'm not paid back. Then the turkey tells me it's his mom's birthday tomorrow and they need to buy a card for their mom and can they borrow 5$? I tell them I loaned them 20 and they never paid me back. They at first don't recall it. Then they recall it as a 10$ loan that they forgot to repay. I inform them, no it was 20$. Now, they are loudly proclaiming around others how they are going to pay back the 20$. Two weeks later, still no 20$.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent most of today shooting a commercial as an extra for a major entertainment venue which shall remain nameless. The director kept making sexist comments, while the AD tried to hush him up. The stand-out moment was probably during a scene where the bartender drops a cherry into a cocktail and the main actor gives it to a gorgeous girl. The director decided this was an opportunity to crack hilarious jokes about rohypnol, not once, but multiple times. The actor looked mortified, and I felt so sorry for the actress who had to just sit there while this creep made jokes about her being date-raped and then yelled at her for not smiling genuinely enough.  What an utter arsehole.

16 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

I think I have even said this one before.  Having some jackass I work with continue to derail discussions and talk over everyone else on any phone call no matter what the topic is.

We have one of those here too.

Today mine is helping a co-worker with something on her computer, and she's one of those who double-click everything, even the things that don't need a double-click.  

Archived