Stark revenge/ Arya's next move

Nocturne

Its almost complete right now isn't it? Their biggest rival throughout the centuries ( Boltons ) are effectively eradicated. The red wedding is avenged, and their name holds the north again, not only that the alliance with the Vale stands strong again.

Arya is taking care of business at the Twins, but house Frey still has numerous sons to take up the mantle. What do you think Arya's next move will be? Will she stick around to finish destroying house Frey? Or is she going after Cersei?

My guess is that Arya moves for Cersei, and Jon/Sansa + the Vale army secure the Twins (good place to stand against the upcoming zombie army)

I will say going after Cersei, there is nothing in Winterfell as stories for Sansa and Arya at this stage of the show, and the amicable, friendly and warm (despite what some simpleton dark hearts with zero understanding of the story want to see for a very long time without any success) Sansa/Arya reunion will be in KL

3 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

I will say going after Cersei, there is nothing in Winterfell as stories for Sansa and Arya at this stage of the show, and the amicable, friendly and warm (despite what some simpleton dark hearts with zero understanding of the story want to see for a very long time without any success) Sansa/Arya reunion will be in KL

With Sansa I think its easier to imagine plotlines that might be interesting in the North although I'd agree she seems more likely to head south again but with Ayra I really don't see how going north helps her story at all.

Cersei definitely seems the most obvious with potentially the Hound along for the ride as well to take on zombie Gregor. If they'd wanted to spin out Ayra killing Freys then why have her killing all three of the main characters last season? even a confrontation with Jamie heading north again makes little sense as she ignored him.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I think the very first thing that will happen is have a short meeting with The Hound. It has been  kind of foreshadowed in the HoBaW

Can we really expect it? or Sandor will be who will do the convergence of views between Sansa and Arya because he knew the two sisters?

2 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Can we really expect it? or Sandor will be who will do the convergence of views between Sansa and Arya because he knew the two sisters?

Arya is in The Riverlands and Sandor is there too. This season Arya remembered Sandor (and in s5 also IIRC), that is what makes me think that it's very plausible.

What you say it's also another possibility. I don't know where Arya will go first (KG or WF, although I believe she will go to both places) but IMO an encounter between the 3 of them: Arya, Sansa and Sandor is quite possible as well.

36 minutes ago, MoreOrLess said:

With Sansa I think its easier to imagine plotlines that might be interesting in the North although I'd agree she seems more likely to head south again but with Ayra I really don't see how going north helps her story at all.

I thought that way because IMO the north story with the incoming danger of the WW and the end of the Boltons' story  will be the story of Bran/Jon/Daenerys, I can't see Sansa and Arya in the north

36 minutes ago, MoreOrLess said:

Cersei definitely seems the most obvious with potentially the Hound along for the ride as well to take on zombie Gregor. If they'd wanted to spin out Ayra killing Freys then why have her killing all three of the main characters last season? even a confrontation with Jamie heading north again makes little sense as she ignored him.

maybe it will be a continuation of Arya/Jaime, by the look that she gave him I think the writers want to tell something

27 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Arya is in The Riverlands and Sandor is there too. This season Arya remembered Sandor (and in s5 also IIRC), that is what makes me think that it's very plausible.

I agree, I also fully expecting that to happen before Sansa/Arya reunion

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

What you say it's also another possibility. I don't know where Arya will go first (KG or WF, although I believe she will go to both places) but IMO an encounter between the 3 of them: Arya, Sansa and Sandor is quite possible as well.

It is too predictable to have Mel heading South just as the BwB/Sandor are heading North with Arya right in the middle of it all. There will be a conformation and it will center around Arya and her facing up to her future. If she goes North, it will be to protect her family and fighting for a real future or if she goes South she will choose vengeance that may lead to her death.

I don't think she will kill Cersei/TheMountain, that showdown has Dany/Tyrion/Dragons written all over it. 

Arya is going home.   

I think it would be really interesting what Maisie said about Arya going home and having Jon want to protect her instead of letting her contribute to the war. Maisie said Arya wasn't going to stand for that. If she arrives to Winterfell with her direwolf and a giant wolf pack that would make a great moment for S7.

There are also some rumors that Thomas Wlaschiha (Jaqen) will be returning next season. Judging by the things he said last year after Arya left the HoBW:

Interesting. When Arya leaves Jaqen, one wonders if he's disappointed in her choice — but there's almost a look of pride on his face as she walks away. Is that how you played it?

Yeah. I think Jaqen had a weak moment there. (Laughs.) I think, and it's my interpretation here, that he enjoyed seeing Arya succeed. The whole Waif thing, whatever it may have been, may have just been the ultimate test. He never told her that her training was going to be easy. I think he's been constantly testing her to make sure she gets stronger and make sure she gets to be the best contender in Westeros that she can be.

The FM true agenda still remains a mystery. Killing Cersei can't be one of them. They could have sent anyone to take her out when she was in a much weaker position before becoming Queen. 

With Arya back in Westeros, it's completely thrown fans off as to what her ultimate role will be in the story. It's completely new territory. It depends a lot on how she handles her meeting with the BwB/Sandor and Mel. 

29 minutes ago, DutchArya said:

It is too predictable to have Mel heading South just as the BwB/Sandor are heading North with Arya right in the middle of it all. There will be a conformation and it will center around Arya and her facing up to her future. If she goes North, it will be to protect her family and fighting for a real future or if she goes South she will choose vengeance that may lead to her death.

I don't think she will kill Cersei/TheMountain, that showdown has Dany/Tyrion/Dragons written all over it. 

Arya is going home.   

I think it would be really interesting what Maisie said about Arya going home and having Jon want to protect her instead of letting her contribute to the war. Maisie said Arya wasn't going to stand for that. If she arrives to Winterfell with her direwolf and a giant wolf pack that would make a great moment for S7.

There are also some rumors that Thomas Wlaschiha (Jaqen) will be returning next season. Judging by the things he said last year after Arya left the HoBW:

The FM true agenda still remains a mystery. Killing Cersei can't be one of them. They could have sent anyone to take her out when she was in a much weaker position before becoming Queen. 

With Arya back in Westeros, it's completely thrown fans off as to what her ultimate role will be in the story. It's completely new territory. It depends a lot on how she handles her meeting with the BwB/Sandor and Mel. 

Very good post!

Yes, if she finds Mel there could be a confrontation. I also think she would choose home, but I feel that Arya has to go to KG too, regardless if she never ends up killing Cersei. Just a feeling.

19 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

I thought that way because IMO the north story with the incoming danger of the WW and the end of the Boltons' story  will be the story of Bran/Jon/Daenerys, I can't see Sansa and Arya in the north

maybe it will be a continuation of Arya/Jaime, by the look that she gave him I think the writers want to tell something

Yes I'd agree with this, I think Ayra's story is basically of a severely traumatised person using revenge as a coping mechanism, killing Walder isn't sposed to be a celebratory act of revenge, Walder might deserve it but that Ayra glories in it so much is ment to be disturbing as it was with Trant.

Just going back to Winterfell and becoming Jon's personal assassin(would she skills even be useful vs the Walkers?) means that she'd be getting past this without any real dramatic climax. At the very least I think there would need to be some kind of confronation with the Hound/Brotherhood/Mel in the Riverlands to give enough of a climax to get her to change but to me Cersei in KL seems much more likely.

I can see obvious potential there for Ayra starting off simply looking for revenge on Cersei but then having to shift towards working for the greater good, perhaps to stop Cersei from destroying KL with wildfire as Dany closes in. That also potentially plays into the link with Jamie that you mention as they may potentially be working together there, perhaps Ayra and the Hound stop Qyburn and the Mountain from carrying out the wildfire plot whilst Jamie kills Cersei?

Of course that might not be a happy ever after story as I could definitely see Ayra dying in order to achieve it.

I think the part where Lady Crane is playing Cersei is a big clue. She'll go to kill Cersei, but find that no matter what Cersei has done, her life has contibuted to her madness and all she will see is a woman who has lost her children and it has sent her mad. She won't be able to kill her. Then someone else who she is with has to do it instead. Cue either the Hound or Jamie.

Arya is no use to Jon in the north. She'll just be another mouth to feed. Although the reuinion would be sweet, I can't see what she can do right now.

An alternative theory is that Arya could take the Riverlands (as she is half Tully) and pledge their fealty to Jon. Maybe with the help of Jamie, the Hound, Brienne and Pod, Mel and BwB. Heck, throw in a bit of Gendry whilst you're at it.

It would make the rest of the conflict more interesting if Jon already has the fealty of the North, the Vale and the Riverlands. However, if they did that, I'm not sure 13 episodes would be enough.

2 hours ago, MoreOrLess said:

Yes I'd agree with this, I think Ayra's story is basically of a severely traumatised person using revenge as a coping mechanism, killing Walder isn't sposed to be a celebratory act of revenge, Walder might deserve it but that Ayra glories in it so much is ment to be disturbing as it was with Trant.

Wouldn't it be more accurate to describe Arya's story as one of Identity. Revenge is just a by-product of her circumstances and her coping mechanism for a child's grief and living through all these horrors.

I highly recommend sweetsunray's analysis on Arya in this thread:

^ I loved this! 

Plus some discussion on the Arya/Bran/Bloodraven/FM connections:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4ypums/spoilers_everything_bloodraven_the_kindly_man/

Just going back to Winterfell and becoming Jon's personal assassin(would she skills even be useful vs the Walkers?) means that she'd be getting past this without any real dramatic climax. At the very least I think there would need to be some kind of confronation with the Hound/Brotherhood/Mel in the Riverlands to give enough of a climax to get her to change but to me Cersei in KL seems much more likely.

She would be serving the King and protecting her House. Why are you just diminishing that so easily? You know GRRM said her wolf pack would play a role in the war (hopefully D&D bring that element in s7). She can also advise and council Jon with the alliances moving forward and protect their side from threats.

Yeah, I agree, a conformation between BwB/Sandor, Mel and Arya in the middle of all that would be a great point in the story for Arya to face her demons and make a decision on vengeance or family. 

Cersei is not Arya's endgame target. She is not going to pick killing Cersei over going home and finding her family. Especially when she hears Jon died at one point. You have to be honest with character motivations. Arya would have been happy staying on Titan's Daughter and helping the sailors over going to the HoBW. Even before that, she tried to go to the Wall and find Jon. Her vengeance has always been secondary to what she values most: Family. 

2 hours ago, Mandzipop said:

I think the part where Lady Crane is playing Cersei is a big clue. She'll go to kill Cersei, but find that no matter what Cersei has done, her life has contibuted to her madness and all she will see is a woman who has lost her children and it has sent her mad. She won't be able to kill her. Then someone else who she is with has to do it instead. Cue either the Hound or Jamie.

D&D already set up the killing "Cersei" thing and Arya couldn't do it. She understand her pain and actually empathized with her loss. Why waste time doing the exact same thing, not going through with it again? 7 episodes for a story of vengeance that goes nowhere. I don't see how that is ultimately what GRRM had in mind for Arya. There is more to her story that has yet to be resolved. I'm fully prepared to accept her endgame is up in the air. Yet whatever it is I am certain it will be significant and play a part in the main story. In the books at least, the foreshadowing is strong regarding Arya coming into contact with Dragons and Targs - S8 material right there. 

Arya is no use to Jon in the north. She'll just be another mouth to feed. Although the reuinion would be sweet, I can't see what she can do right now.

It's kinda sad that some people - in this case just you - actually thinks a Stark in Winterfell is "just another mouth to feed". I mean :blink: what.

An alternative theory is that Arya could take the Riverlands (as she is half Tully) and pledge their fealty to Jon. Maybe with the help of Jamie, the Hound, Brienne and Pod, Mel and BwB. Heck, throw in a bit of Gendry whilst you're at it.

I know you watched the end of s6. You know the BwB and Sandor are going NORTH. Their awakening to the threat of the Night King and the Long Night unfortunately makes your Riverlands plotline a little redundant. There are only 7 eps left here. Maybe if Jon and his forces move South, shoring up Riverrun would be a goal along the way. 

Joe Dempsie (Gendry) confirmed he isn't going to be in S7. 

It would make the rest of the conflict more interesting if Jon already has the fealty of the North, the Vale and the Riverlands. However, if they did that, I'm not sure 13 episodes would be enough.

Correct.

4 hours ago, Mandzipop said:

I doubt it.  If Cersei is a big enough threat at that point that somebody has to kill, why would Arya not do it?

1 hour ago, DutchArya said:

She would be serving the King and protecting her House. Why are you just diminishing that so easily? You know GRRM said her wolf pack would play a role in the war (hopefully D&D bring that element in s7). She can also advise and council Jon with the alliances moving forward and protect their side from threats.

Yeah, I agree, a conformation between BwB/Sandor, Mel and Arya in the middle of all that would be a great point in the story for Arya to face her demons and make a decision on vengeance or family. 

Cersei is not Arya's endgame target. She is not going to pick killing Cersei over going home and finding her family. Especially when she hears Jon died at one point. You have to be honest with character motivations. Arya would have been happy staying on Titan's Daughter and helping the sailors over going to the HoBW. Even before that, she tried to go to the Wall and find Jon. Her vengeance has always been secondary to what she values most: Family. 

D&D already set up the killing "Cersei" thing and Arya couldn't do it. She understand her pain and actually empathized with her loss. Why waste time doing the exact same thing, not going through with it again? 7 episodes for a story of vengeance that goes nowhere. I don't see how that is ultimately what GRRM had in mind for Arya. There is more to her story that has yet to be resolved. I'm fully prepared to accept her endgame is up in the air. Yet whatever it is I am certain it will be significant and play a part in the main story. In the books at least, the foreshadowing is strong regarding Arya coming into contact with Dragons and Targs - S8 material right there. 

True the wold pack could potentially be reintroduced and have an impact on the story but really doesn't it make much more sense for the skills we've seen Ayra develop over the last couple of seasons to play the most important part in her story and its harder to see how they would be used in the north.

Ayra has already chosen revenge over family once going after Walder, granted she might not have known the exact situation Sansa and Jon still being alive must have been known in the places she travelled though? For her to make a different choice is surely going to need some kind of dramatic climax?

I'm not really sure what Lady Crane playing Cersei signifies at this point, Ayra killing someone purely because they are playing a person she dislikes on stage would be a sign of someone being a lot more unhinged and evil than she's been shown to be. Lady Crane then becomes arguably Ayra's last chance to escape the scars of her old life only for the waif to kill her and seemingly set her on the path of to confront those scars instead. At anyrate it certainly seems to setup a link between her and Cersei for some purpose.

Another big reason for her not to go north and link up with her family is I'd say that her dramatic connection to the Hound is actually much stronger and seems much more easily focused on elsewhere plus of course the Hounds most obvious end game is confrontation with his brother.

12 hours ago, MoreOrLess said:

True the wold pack could potentially be reintroduced and have an impact on the story but really doesn't it make much more sense for the skills we've seen Ayra develop over the last couple of seasons to play the most important part in her story and its harder to see how they would be used in the north.

Looks like Jon won't have an easy ride as King and the potential for backstabbing might happen again. Arya could put her practical skills to work protecting her family here. Maybe after getting sense knocked into her by Sandor and others, she might be able to help and heal her issues with her sister as well and maybe stop Sansa from doing anything stupid as well. Arya has a lot of emotional intelligence, something sorely lacking among her House - hence all the successful scheming against the Starks in the past.

Ayra has already chosen revenge over family once going after Walder, granted she might not have known the exact situation Sansa and Jon still being alive must have been known in the places she travelled though? For her to make a different choice is surely going to need some kind of dramatic climax?

Maisie already addressed this in the After the Episode video interview. She explained that Arya just arrived to Westeros not sure of the situation or where everyone was at the time. Except Walder Frey. She knew he would be at the Twins. 

So no she did not pick revenge over family. When she meets Mel and is told about Jon death and resurrection and Winterfell - it would complete IN-character for her to run home as fast as she can. It was her family and Stark roots that brought her back to Westeros in the first place and away from the FM. She said she was going home

I'm not really sure what Lady Crane playing Cersei signifies at this point, Ayra killing someone purely because they are playing a person she dislikes on stage would be a sign of someone being a lot more unhinged and evil than she's been shown to be. Lady Crane then becomes arguably Ayra's last chance to escape the scars of her old life only for the waif to kill her and seemingly set her on the path of to confront those scars instead. At anyrate it certainly seems to setup a link between her and Cersei for some purpose.

Arya's job was to kill Lady Crane because the FM told her to. The fact that she was confronted with a moment in her life that changed everything - Ned's death in the play - was d&d's way to reconnect Arya to her roots. Instead Arya connects with LC and sympathies with Cersei’s pain. Arya’s FM thing dissolved, became another facade like all her other names and identities. In the books, she is likely to come face to face with Jeyne Poole, the girl being used to win the North by pretending to be Arya Stark. It will be so intense and incredibly emotional if Jeyne asks for the gift at the HoBW after everything she has been through. WhI left the real Arya returns to Westeros to reclaim her Name. 

Anyway, facing LC as Cersei was Arya facing her demons and her grief. Ultimately, she found herself and did not kill "Cersei". Someone else did. In reality, Tyrion/Jaime will likely be that someone else.

Another big reason for her not to go north and link up with her family is I'd say that her dramatic connection to the Hound is actually much stronger and seems much more easily focused on elsewhere plus of course the Hounds most obvious end game is confrontation with his brother.

Sandor is going North so if they cross paths - it would be at that point. I mean, you do realise going North doesn't mean all the characters will stay North. As far as the travelling time... For all we know, Arya could meet Sandor/BwB and make it to Winterfell in one ep. Judging by Jaime's travelling from the Twins to KL in the blink of an eye. 

Again I think there are more revelations we don't know about Arya's future role in Winds/Dream that will get worked into the next 2 seasons.

Hanging about in the Riverlands again or failing at killing Cersei again :huh:  just doesn't seem right. 

2 hours ago, DutchArya said:

Looks like Jon won't have an easy ride as King and the potential for backstabbing might happen again. Arya could put her practical skills to work protecting her family here. Maybe after getting sense knocked into her by Sandor and others, she might be able to help and heal her issues with her sister as well and maybe stop Sansa from doing anything stupid as well. Arya has a lot of emotional intelligence, something sorely lacking among her House - hence all the successful scheming against the Starks in the past.

Yeah, I think that's what will happen, and he will help both sisters.

Arya would put avenging the ones who "killed" Jon at the top of her list, and now they send her home on the show. Sandor is right near Sansa in the books, and now they bring him back and send him north on the show. I think Littlefinger's downfall and helping Jon fight the Others are on the agenda.

Also I think Dany (with a little help from Drogon) is going to take out Cersei and Co. Arya's list doesn't have to be people she personally kills. She didn't kill Joffrey.

On 30/08/2016 at 5:33 PM, DutchArya said:

Wouldn't it be more accurate to describe Arya's story as one of Identity. Revenge is just a by-product of her circumstances and her coping mechanism for a child's grief and living through all these horrors.

I highly recommend sweetsunray's analysis on Arya in this thread:

^ I loved this! 

Plus some discussion on the Arya/Bran/Bloodraven/FM connections:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4ypums/spoilers_everything_bloodraven_the_kindly_man/

It's kinda sad that some people - in this case just you - actually thinks a Stark in Winterfell is "just another mouth to feed". I mean :blink: what.

I know you watched the end of s6. You know the BwB and Sandor are going NORTH. Their awakening to the threat of the Night King and the Long Night unfortunately makes your Riverlands plotline a little redundant. There are only 7 eps left here. Maybe if Jon and his forces move South, shoring up Riverrun would be a goal along the way. 

Joe Dempsie (Gendry) confirmed he isn't going to be in S7. 

Correct.

I don't believe Arya has given up her kill list quite yet. There are people on her original kill list that suddenly reappeared last season and Mel can't be too far from the Riverlands now. If Arya continues with her original kill list the BwB won't be going north. If Arya finds out that Mel brought Jon back to life then Mel might survive. If Arya kills the BwB I doubt the Hound will be going north with them. During season 6 the show made it clear that Arya has a soft spot for the Hound.

If Arya doesn't attempt to finish her kill list it will make her arc seem completely pointless.

I appreciate there are a lot of if's in my statement as nobody knows what will happen, it is my opinion and I'm basing it on what I saw.

There are a lot of characters in the Riverlands, and others I suspect are heading/about to head to there (Jamie and Bronn, Mel). Their paths are a complete mystery to me. I expect a number of them to cross paths.

Unusually, we won't have to wait until season 7 to find out what will happen to many of the characters. Filming news will tell us loads about character arcs for season 7. Filming in Spain and Northern Ireland starts next week. Iceland starts in January. Where the actors are filming will tell us a lot about where they are heading in season 7.

Regards to the comments made by Joe Dempsie. If we'd have listened to the actors, we'd never have seen Uncle Benjen and the BwB last season as prior to season 6 they said that they weren't coming back. So I'm not ruling out Gendry returning. If Gendry was returning next season Joe would say that he wasn't as it would be a spoiler.

Correction, filming has already started.

6 minutes ago, Mandzipop said:

I don't believe Arya has given up her kill list quite yet. There are people on her original kill list that suddenly reappeared last season and Mel can't be too far from the Riverlands now. If Arya continues with her original kill list the BwB won't be going north. If Arya finds out that Mel brought Jon back to life then Mel might survive. If Arya kills the BwB I doubt the Hound will be going north with them. During season 6 the show made it clear that Arya has a soft spot for the Hound.

If Arya doesn't attempt to finish her kill list it will make her arc seem completely pointless.

I appreciate there are a lot of if's in my statement as nobody knows what will happen, it is my opinion and I'm basing it on what I saw.

There are a lot of characters in the Riverlands, and others I suspect are heading/about to head to there (Jamie and Bronn, Mel). Their paths are a complete mystery to me. I expect a number of them to cross paths.

Well, I don't think her arc would have been pointless since her ultimate objective is not the list, but to understand that there are more things apart from the list.

I also think she will attempt to finish it, but won't do it. That will be the ending of her arc.

And there is the possibility that she goes to WF first and then finds otger people in the journey. The order is not of importance, although the other way around would seem more logical now. If she heards about WF/Jon/Sansa I think she will think of going North. Maybe then meets others? That could be also.

3 hours ago, Mandzipop said:

I don't believe Arya has given up her kill list quite yet. There are people on her original kill list that suddenly reappeared last season and Mel can't be too far from the Riverlands now.

If D&D had plans for Arya to kill Beric, Thoros or Mel - why not put them on her list? The Waif even makes a comment on how short her list is now. 

Unusually, we won't have to wait until season 7 to find out what will happen to many of the characters. Filming news will tell us loads about character arcs for season 7. Filming in Spain and Northern Ireland starts next week. Iceland starts in January. Where the actors are filming will tell us a lot about where they are heading in season 7.

Completely agree. Maisie usually gets a lot of set pics in previous seasons. It will confirm a lot. 

Archived