Ranking minor POV characters?

Britisher

How would you rank the following minor point-of-view characters in terms of favourability from best to worst?

• Aeron Greyjoy
  • Areo Hotah
  • Arianne Martell
  • Arys Oakheart
  • Asha Greyjoy
  • Barristan Selmy
  • Jon Connington
  • Melisandre
  • Quentyn Martell
  • Victarion Greyjoy

• Victarion - just love his chapters
  • Asha  - gives insight into the North
  • Barristan - gives insight into Dany and Slaver's Bay
  • Millisandre - gives insight into Stannis
  • Jon Connington - only insight into Aegon IV
  • Aeron
  • Arys Oakheart
  • Arianne Martelle
  • Areo Hotah
  • Quentyn - What a waste. 

Victarion - one of my favourite characters

Quentyn - I would read a whole book of his adventure. Have a small hope he survived.

Melisandre - finally figuring out her view, her doubts. 

Asha - Great view on Stannis and the North

Barristan - another view on Mereen (and Dany) than just Dany

Aeron - found his chapter a little boring, but the latest chapter from WoW was amazing. 

JonCon - an insight into the invasion in the south

Arienne - I never really cared that much about the Dorne plot line.

Arys Oakheart - same as above 

Areo Hotah - same as above 

9 minutes ago, LordManderlyAsDragonRider said:

I agree and have a feeling there will be a lot of this in this thread. And also love your name. 

Victarion Greyjoy - I don't like the character much, but I'm thrilled  about his adventures and where the story gets him

Melisandre - Ii it interesting to learn about mel's past and origins

Asha Greyjoy - Interesting insight about the North

Aeron Greyjoy - Insight about the Iron Islands, though the character is a little boring

Jon Connington - Insight on fAegon

Barristan Selmy - They guy is just boring, but he gives insight on pre-rebellion events

Quentyn Martell - at the moment his plotline seems like a waste. I started a thread on Quent and some posters convinced me that there is much more to come. Let's see

Arianne Martell - I just found her amazing.

Victarion Greyjoy - He is not that interesting as a character but his chapters are nice.

Melisandre - She is mystical.

Asha Greyjoy - Interesting character and good chapters.

Barristan Selmy - It is interesting to see a man who is not ambitous

Areo Hotah - Very good chapters but no personal development

Aeron Greyjoy - Boring character but nice insight on the Ironborn culture (and the Forsaken sample chapter was epic)

Quentyn Martell - Ok chapters but boring character.

Arys Oakheart - Useless POV

Jon Connighton - I just dislike him. I hope he is replaced soon by Arianne as Aegon's POV.

Asha Greyjoy - Chapters are consistently interesting and exciting.

Melisandre - Lots of interesting stuff about her in her one chapter.

Barristan Selmy - Good stuff on Meereen and some info about backstory.

Jon Connington - Aegon VI and some backstory

Areo Hotah - Info on Dorne plot without giving too much away

Arianne - More info on Dorne.  Way too much filler, though

Aeron, Victarion, Arys Oakheart, Quentyn - Ugh!  Unpleasant and/or boring.  I have little interest in the Dornish, and only a little in the Ironborn

Asha Greyjoy - Really a fun read, gives a less whiney, less "I am awesome" perspective of Ironborn

Barristan Selmy - Probably one of the best sources for the cloudy history of the tourney at Harrenhal and RR with the exception of Howland Reed

Jon Connington - Also a good source of history, but more biased

Arianne Martell - Showing growth, and potential.

Melisandre - Shows potential, and doubt

Aeron Greyjoy - Can be a potential gamechanger, knows a lot about Iron Isles that is not available elsewhere

Victarion Greyjoy - Funny, but too much of the "I am fearless", crazy sea captain

Areo Hotah - provides perspective of Doran and Dorne, but no character

Arys Oakheart - depressing

Quentyn Martell - depressing and tough to read

• Asha Greyjoy
  • Barristan Selmy
  • Jon Connington
  • Arianne Martell
  • Melisandre
  • Victarion Greyjoy
  • Aeron Greyjoy
  • Arys Oakheart
  • Areo Hotah
  • Quentyn Martell

So, these were my favorite to read... I'm not sure I'm up to the task of saying who I like more. Asha and Barristan would probably still be at the top of the list, with Arianne and Quentyn up there too.

On 8/29/2016 at 1:45 PM, Britisher said:

• Barristan Selmy- Can't go wrong with Barry. Top lad.
  • Melisandre- Although she only had one chapter, it was perhaps one of the most intriguing ones since Dany's trip to the House of the Undying.
  • Jon Connington- Fun to read, and a character that you feel for.
  • Victarion Greyjoy-Good old Vic and his fire hand. His chapters are interesting, and I'm excited to see him meet Dany.
  • Asha Greyjoy- She's fun to read and easy to like, but she does irritate me sometimes so I have to put her behind Vicky.
  • Arianne Martell- Is she really minor? If so, she showed signs that she could be really interesting in the next book. However, thus far she has only really had groundwork laid out for her.
  • Arys Oakheart- Meh.
  • Aeron Greyjoy- The Damphair was the perfect example of a man who is describes by one POV (Theon) as bein gboring living up to that title upon gaining his own viewpoint.
  • Areo Hotah- Perhaps he'd have been higher if he'd had more than one chapter, but he didn't.
  • Quentyn Martell- One of the slowing POVs I've ever read, although to be fair to him his last chapter was on fire... :ph34r:

Ranking characters, not chapters.

• Aeron Greyjoy - interesting background, unique, we need more of him (and House Greyjoy in general).
  • Victarion Greyjoy - I like commanders and warlords in general because we get to see how they act when all hell breaks loose. His best moments are yet to be seen, I hope.
  • Barristan Selmy - I admire his honor and will to do the right thing, but pity his choice to follow Daenerys. He should have backed Stannis, it would make more sense.
  • Melisandre - wild card, still don't know what to think about her. She is terrifying sometimes.
  • Arianne Martell - sexy. Breath of fresh air in dull Dorne chapters.
  • Asha Greyjoy - well, I hope she will finally do something meaningful. But there is potential.
  • Jon Connington - not a fan of Aegon and his subplot, but JonCon made it easier to read. He is a bit like Beric/Jorah mix.
  • Areo Hotah - have nothing against him, but his character doesn't hold much weight. He just IS there, and wields a halberd. Meh.
  • Arys Oakheart - the most important event of his life was his death. At least he was slightly charismatic.
  • Quentyn Martell - see above, but no charisma.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon Connington -best storyline, interesting character and thoughts

Victarion Greyjoy - one of my favourite characters, great chapter, great man overall

Asha Greyjoy -interesting character development, her and Theon have chapters that I cant wait to see

Aeron Greyjoy -religious fanatic that is, unlike Mel, interesting to read... oh and Forsaken was pure gold

Barristan Selmy -reminds me of CoK Tyrion, convinced he is great Hand, but gets maneuvered by everyone... at least he is aware he isnt born to be scheemer. Unlike Arys, this Kingsguard have great thoughts and it is very interesting to go in his head and everything that is going around him is interesting

Arianne Martell - interesting character development, interesting story around her, though I prefer Jon Connington

Areo Hotah -Watcher was great, events around him cam be interesting

Quentyn Martell - better than people give him credit for, has a deep lesson, but isnt as good as those above

Melisandre -something seemed off during this chapter, obviously she is POV because we have to witness Jon coming back

Arys Oakheart - worst one, his thoughts arent nearly as interesting as Jaimes or Barristans and things around arent nearly as interesting as event around Areo and Arianne

1) Barristan - Meereen Storyline gets so much better with him and he gives lots of interesting stories of past events

2) Victarion/Aeron - Always liked these Ironborn chapters, specially the kingsmoot ones and Victarion journey to Slaver's Bay

3) Melisandre - I would put her first, but since she had only one so far...

4) Asha - Nice insight in some events, specially in Stannis's camp. And she is probaby the closest thing that the Ironborn have of a good person

5) Arrianne - The best Dorne POV by a large margin. I actually think she should have been more proeminent and became the only Dornish POV and get more space. She evens appears a lot in the others Dornish POV (except Quentyn, of course)

6) Jon Connington - He is also good, just not as good as the ones aboves. A shame that he will eventually sucumb to Greyscale

7) Areo Hotah - He is basically a way to show what Doran is doing without showing his thoughts. While the events in his chapters are important, I was felt like it would have been simpler to use Arriane on those, since she does appears in both of them anyway, and Hotah is merely a tool to show Doran

8) Quentyn - I don't think he is a bad character, nor his arc in Dance wasn't good, but I also felt he didn't need to be a POV, only the Dragontamer is really nice and has major impact on the main plot

9) Arys - Now, this one was a major dissapointement. He has just one chapter where he mostly interacts with Arriane. And then he dies in next one he appears. What the fuck was the point of him being a POV? Hell, it would make so much more sense if the chapter was another Arriane's POV...

Barristan - you have to love Barristan, both he and Ian McElhinney are awesome

Aeron - religious fanaticism is always a plus

Melisandre - yes it is 

Victarion - for his reasoning abilities and how they often fail

Jon 

Quentyn 

Arianne 

Asha

Arys 

Areo

Melisandre-I'm interested in seeing how or if she develops from a step above being a stage magician to really influencing things

Barristan- An interesting look back at when Knights had Honor.  He and Ned could have really done stuff but then there wouldn't have been all these books.

Aeron Greyjoy-an interesting look at the whole Greyjoy and Iron Islands thing.

Asha-some interest

Most of the rest, sorry but I have zero interest in Victarion and Dorne and all that but a special mention for;

Quentyn- what a waste of time and ink, all that ooh, he's the frog, he's this, he's a Prince of Dorne, Dany will love him, what if she doesn't?  All that just to get someone to release the two dragons and then he's quick fried to a crackly crunch?  Sometimes I think that GRRM is paid by the word.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Arianne Martell - I really enjoy Arianne's character arc, particularly with her excerpts from The Winds of Winter in mind. She's interesting, smart and a pleasure to read.

2. Asha Greyjoy - Asha is the most redeeming Greyjoy character: she's a fierce fighter; a strong, capable ruler and is intelligent (qualities which are very rare in the Iron Islands). I really enjoy her chapters and her character development throughout the series.

3. Barristan Selmy - I do like Barristan Selmy's character. In relation to the wider 'Meereen' plotline I think his chapters are interesting: unfortunately I dislike the Meereen plotline altogether. 

4. Jon Connington - I find Jon Connington and his chapters to be very interesting (I prefer Barristan Selmy's character to Jon's though I enjoy Jon Connington's chapters more).

5. Melisandre - Melisandre's chapter is very interesting, and I do love how her character is portrayed, though her morality is questionable and her 'prophecies' serve as tired clichés.

6. Arys Oakheart - Unfortunately his character isn't properly fleshed out and his death is very abrupt. I like him in some respects, although his character is very dull. I am infuriated by the fact that he beat Sansa and put Myrcella's life in danger.

7. Areo Hotah - Areo has no character development, he merely observes.

8. Quentyn Martell - Quentyn is awful: he has a huge sense of entitlement, assuming that Daenerys will marry him because "he is Dorne" and then he betrays his only allies in Meereen (Daenerys and Barristan) by attempting to steal Dany's dragons simply to secure a legacy for himself and not displease his father (even though his only purpose in Meereen was to secure Dany's hand in marriage and nothing more), putting all of those around him in danger in the process...

9. Victarion Greyjoy - Brutal, boring and gullible. 

10. Aeron Greyjoy - Boring and gullible. 

Archived