The Strain season 3 (Spoilers)

Corvinus85

This show is like Kraft macaroni and cheese.  I know it's bad for me...but it's so cheesy and delicious.  I cannot stop watching.

I loved second in command vamp teasing Palmer about Coco.  AHAHAHAHA. That was gold.  2nd in command vamp is my new favorite character, and I strongly believe that Zach will be given back to Eph at no charge in the not so distant future.  Even vampires cannot handle his preteen angst. 

I am personally a little bored with how strong and wily the vampires are, how drunk and obnoxious Eph is, and how weak and frail Abraham is.  

I like Quinlan, but he is super creepy.  And Gus and his mom make no sense to me.  I don't believe his character would keep his mother alive and chained up so that he can feed her blood.  

On 31/08/2016 at 3:37 AM, Corvinus said:

Grimm is getting cancelled after the upcoming season which had already been shortened. Why? Because it's on NBC. It does depend on the network, too.

WHAT?! No, that's terrible. Grimm had become a pretty decent show. Hopefully they will end it with some intention rather than let it tail off like a damp squib at the very least. :(

Anyway, The Strain - yeah, what did happen to hot chick whose name I can't remember anyway? There was a lot of stuff with her old girlfriend...did she go to stay with her at the end or something?

I was also surprised in the prologue bit that they say it was only 21 days since the master landed in NY. I honestly thought that events had spanned a longer time period than that over the past two seasons.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

WHAT?! No, that's terrible. Grimm had become a pretty decent show. Hopefully they will end it with some intention rather than let it tail off like a damp squib at the very least. :(

Anyway, The Strain - yeah, what did happen to hot chick whose name I can't remember anyway? There was a lot of stuff with her old girlfriend...did she go to stay with her at the end or something?

I was also surprised in the prologue bit that they say it was only 21 days since the master landed in NY. I honestly thought that events had spanned a longer time period than that over the past two seasons.

Yes, Grimm will have a final shortened (13 eps) season.

On the Strain - Dutch, the hot chick, was captured by Eichhorst, and she barely escaped. I think that did it for her and that's why she left the group.

Was it 21 days? I thought it was more like 3 months.

On 31/08/2016 at 6:59 PM, Pliskin said:

I watch it and I love it...

A badass gladiator half vampire, a badass rat exterminator, a badass grandpa fighting ugly zombie-vampires. I can't ask more, it's already a hell more than I need to enjoy a show. It's everything TWD isn't. Which is a good thing (I hate TWD).

Try Z Nation, it's like TWD but OTT, sometimes very comical and without the drudgy soap opera feel to it.

Also, The Strain vampires are almost as bad as Twilight ones.

The Strain vamps are just so weird.  There's this very obvious sexual tone about them ('the white' with the wiggly worms in it, i mean come on!) but then their genitals fall off (at least the males, been waiting to see what happens to the female genital).  It was pretty hilarious when Setrakian kept talking about the white this and the white that and recalling that the white squirts in his eye.  But then it was extremely uncomfortable when The Master was giving Zach his white.  

Also, these vamps need to start being more selective about how they turn and also maybe slow the fuck down with the turning.  Isn't the point of a vampire apocalypse  to create the best vamps and then round up all the humans to be a never-ending blood supply?

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Try Z Nation, it's like TWD but OTT, sometimes very comical and without the drudgy soap opera feel to it.

Also, The Strain vampires are almost as bad as Twilight ones.

The Strain vampires are not as nauseating as the Twilight ones, even when their faces are opening up to reveal their giant, phallic, elephant trunk sucker things. 

Having said that, the whole sex-thing that Dr. Pepper references does freak me out a little bit about The Strain.  But then, I think maybe I'm just getting their perpetual blood thirst confused with sex?  I don't know.

Has the show explained how Quinlan has lived for so long without becoming totally overtaken by the Master or the thirst?

22 minutes ago, Elder Sister said:

The Strain vampires are not as nauseating as the Twilight ones, even when their faces are opening up to reveal their giant, phallic, elephant trunk sucker things. 

Having said that, the whole sex-thing that Dr. Pepper references does freak me out a little bit about The Strain.  But then, I think maybe I'm just getting their perpetual blood thirst confused with sex?  I don't know.

Has the show explained how Quinlan has lived for so long without becoming totally overtaken by the Master or the thirst?

Isn't Quinlan the Blade of this verse? Not just in that he is the "good" vamp, but that his mother was infected by the Master when she was pregnant with him. So perhaps that is not enough for the Master to exert that telepathic control of him. Regarding the thirst, we don't know for sure that he doesn't feed on humans, he may just do it discretely and without spreading infection. 

Thank you for the explainers...I am a very lazy viewer when watching this show.  I chortle, tell the characters what losers they are, and roll my eyes a lot, which means that I also miss a lot of the explanations offered.

I love this show so much.  It's like if a soap opera and a B horror movie had a baby.

10 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

The Strain vamps are just so weird.  There's this very obvious sexual tone about them ('the white' with the wiggly worms in it, i mean come on!) but then their genitals fall off (at least the males, been waiting to see what happens to the female genital).  It was pretty hilarious when Setrakian kept talking about the white this and the white that and recalling that the white squirts in his eye.  But then it was extremely uncomfortable when The Master was giving Zach his white.  

I don't get this myself, i.e. I have never perceived this as a 'sexual' thing. probably because I'm a parasitologist and worms are my bread and butter. It makes total sense to me that people (well, the vamps in this case) are basically just hosts for/controlled by parasites. :)

10 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

I don't know, I'm not a fan of either of them, Ultraviolet(UK tv miniseries) Buffyverse or OK guilty pleasure but I like them- True Blood Vampires are my favourite ones.

Twilight ones are just wrong and The Strain ones, I guess Eichorst is ok but I find them more like zombies.

6 hours ago, Isis said:

I don't get this myself, i.e. I have never perceived this as a 'sexual' thing. probably because I'm a parasitologist and worms are my bread and butter. It makes total sense to me that people (well, the vamps in this case) are basically just hosts for/controlled by parasites. :)

The sexualized nature doesn't negate the part that the worms work as parasites as well.

There's the rigid phallic object that penetrates a target in order to both suck blood and deliver a white substance with squiggly things in it...well, that's some pretty sexual imagery right there.  

I try to ignore the stupid because this show is that ridiculous sort of fun.  But geez.  It's impossible to ignore that they haven't done anything useful like head to the corner Kinkos (do those still exist?) to make copies of the book.  Take pictures of it and every single page.  Video record every angle.  Something so that losing it doesn't result in this sort of panic.  It makes the whole episode almost unworkable, tbh, because you're just sitting there thinking "ok, just make copies of the book.  Yes, use a copy machine.  COPY IT FOR FUCK"S SAKE."  

I'm sure it will work out that it's something imbedded in the book that can't be copied that's what is needed, but for now it's all as foolish as when they had that bidding war over the book and Nazi Butler just stood there as Setrakian and co walked away with it.

I like Quinlan.  The flashbacks were good.  

I keep trying to watch this season but my eyes just glaze over and I end up playing with my phone or whatever. It's almost supernaturally unengaging for me, and it's just not campy/over the top enough to be entertaining. It doesn't help that the books are absolutely terrible in every way. 

And Hispanic Jon Snow keeping his zombie mom alive makes no damn sense. 

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I try to ignore the stupid because this show is that ridiculous sort of fun.  But geez.  It's impossible to ignore that they haven't done anything useful like head to the corner Kinkos (do those still exist?) to make copies of the book.  Take pictures of it and every single page.  Video record every angle.  Something so that losing it doesn't result in this sort of panic.  It makes the whole episode almost unworkable, tbh, because you're just sitting there thinking "ok, just make copies of the book.  Yes, use a copy machine.  COPY IT FOR FUCK"S SAKE."  

The panic is not so much due to the fact that they're losing the information in the book than that The Master might be getting it. Copying the book doesn't solve that, if anything it only makes things worse. With diluting the information, The Master has a better chance of finding it.

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

The panic is not so much due to the fact that they're losing the information in the book than that The Master might be getting it. Copying the book doesn't solve that, if anything it only makes things worse. With diluting the information, The Master has a better chance of finding it.

I thought the book was about how to kill the master.  I figured the master would already know how to kill himself and just wants to keep the humans from that knowledge.  

9 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I thought the book was about how to kill the master.  I figured the master would already know how to kill himself and just wants to keep the humans from that knowledge.  

With these things, it's usually if evil gets its hands on it, it will mean certain doom. So the Master may be able to use it, too, for his own purpose. But still, photocopies could be handy for one who loses the Lumin.

I liked the part with Quinlan's background, even though the modern typing sound of the "Roman countryside 58AD" was very silly. I also liked that the Master attempted to create his own badass vamp squad with the turned Seals. I have to wonder at what point does a "principal" servant of the Master gets the cool superspeed, because Kelly running desperately with the book was hilarious.

So what happened to Gus's mom? I didn't hear any gunshots, but considering how quickly they got overwhelmed by cops, and that she couldn't have run outside because of daylight, I doubt she survived. But Gus's story is quite disappointing. It had much more promise last season when he met up with Quinlan.

5 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

And Hispanic Jon Snow keeping his zombie mom alive makes no damn sense. 

You're going to have to explain this to me. Does it have to do with him displaying incredibly lack of common sense and/or knowledge?

Archived