The Strain season 3 (Spoilers)

Corvinus85

I was not able to find any active threads for the show, it looks like they were all archived.

Anyway, everyone's favorite vampire-ish guilty pleasure show is back. It premiered last night.

I have to say that I did not recall much of what happened last season, surprise, surprise. :P But I do remember some stuff, and as such while I thought the premiere of season 3 was fairly solid, as this show goes, I was disturbed by the lack of major female characters. I vaguely remember Eph's girlfriend/fellow doctor dying at the end of last season trying to protect Zach from his mother. I also remember Dutch, the computer chick, getting captured by the Nazi vampire, but she was rescued, wasn't she? She did not make an appearance in the premiere.

I liked Fett's part with the Navy SEALS, the professor-Quinlan dynamic is promising, and Eph continues to be one of the worst protagonists on TV. :laugh:

The most interesting part was David Bradley's intro narration where he revealed that the vampire plague has spread beyond New York, though the Master continues to stay there.

Ephraim still sucks in that 80's douchebag way that he's always sucked - and not awesome 80's douchebag like Johnny Lawrence of the Cobra Kai, but smarmy douchebag like Walter Peck from the EPA.  Ugh.

Fet with the SEAL team was great.  I'm confused at to why he hates awesome bone sword half vampire dude, but whatever.  Maybe they're trying to make everyone as unreasonably stupid as Eph.  Lower the bar enough to the point that their chosen hero doesn't seem so awful.  Bolstering this point is Gus engaging in the stupid zombie trope of keeping his mindless vampire mother alive and chained up in her living room.  I'm sure that's going to end well.

It's just the first episode, and the only two protagonists untouched by the Eph virus is Setrakian and the councilwoman.  The professor read a book and counseled patience in his curmudgeonly lovable way.  Sensible, since the book is the MacGuffin or whatever, but not very exciting.  Hopefully he'll get more to do when Eph inevitably tries to steal the book and trade it for his terrible son.  As for the councilwoman, she continues to be the most competent character on the show.

Eichorst remains a cool villain despite only having a minute of screen time.  Nora and the creepy crawly kids would probably be good villains as well if they weren't so completely tied to Ephraim and Zacharias.  The Master is less lame now that he's in the goth rock dude, but that's another low bar.  Maybe he'll get more menacing as the season wears on.  

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Wait, this is still on the air?

How?

My thoughts exactly. It gives hope (or possibly despair) to anyone wondering if their show will last.

Maybe a billionairre is funding it for their own enjoyment. I find it hard to believe it may have improved - although I do recall the books were supposed to chart the vampires taking over. So maybe it becomes more interesting at least?

Just about everything a TV show shouldn't do... this show does.... Miscast/dislikable main character?.... check...... Annoying kid?.... check.... confusing subplots that go nowhere?.... check.... main cast making stupid decisions that no one would ever make so lazy writers can move the plot forward?.... check....

It's vampires... so I'll watch it on demand during the day.... but if the film caught fire.... I wouldn't give a shit.

5 hours ago, red snow said:

My thoughts exactly. It gives hope (or possibly despair) to anyone wondering if their show will last.

Maybe a billionairre is funding it for their own enjoyment. I find it hard to believe it may have improved - although I do recall the books were supposed to chart the vampires taking over. So maybe it becomes more interesting at least?

Grimm is getting cancelled after the upcoming season which had already been shortened. Why? Because it's on NBC. It does depend on the network, too.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Grimm is getting cancelled after the upcoming season which had already been shortened. Why? Because it's on NBC. It does depend on the network, too.

How shit do ratings have to be to get cancelled on FX. Does the seasonal slot also help it? I guess the bright side is it explains why we have 10+ seasons of "Sunny in Phili" and multiple seasons of Archer, etc. Because surely there must be more people watching Fargo and the Americans than the strain?

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Just about everything a TV show shouldn't do... this show does.... Miscast/dislikable main character?.... check...... Annoying kid?.... check.... confusing subplots that go nowhere?.... check.... main cast making stupid decisions that no one would ever make so lazy writers can move the plot forward?.... check....

It's vampires... so I'll watch it on demand during the day.... but if the film caught fire.... I wouldn't give a shit.

It's interesting that no-one watching it likes it and the show is like a brain enema. Honestly, I had enough of that with the CWDC shows over the last 12 months. There comes a point where I fear I may genuinely like badly plotted tv.

I watch it and I love it...

A badass gladiator half vampire, a badass rat exterminator, a badass grandpa fighting ugly zombie-vampires. I can't ask more, it's already a hell more than I need to enjoy a show. It's everything TWD isn't. Which is a good thing (I hate TWD).

17 hours ago, Pliskin said:

A badass gladiator half vampire, a badass rat exterminator, a badass grandpa fighting ugly zombie-vampires. I can't ask more, it's already a hell more than I need to enjoy a show. It's everything TWD isn't. Which is a good thing (I hate TWD).

the badass gladiator half vampire sounds new. For all "the strain's" faults it (and its fans apparently) don't have the delusions of grandeur that TWD (and fans) have. I liked TWD more but high quality TV it's not.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

the badass gladiator half vampire sounds new. For all "the strain's" faults it (and its fans apparently) don't have the delusions of grandeur that TWD (and fans) have. I liked TWD more but high quality TV it's not.

Introduced sometime in the last season to replace the ninja vampire squad.

I was similarly surprised this show was still on.  Had to tune in.  I don't quite remember everything that happened last season, but it seems like there hasn't been much change or advancement since the first season.  Aside from Eff's hair, of course.  I remember the awful wig.  Looks like they gave up on it and are now pretending it never existed.  

21 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I think it could be awesome in a Blade vs the vampire apocalypse kind of way if Ephraim and his entire storyline were exorcised from the show.  No Eph = more bone sword half vamp gladiator, more Setrakian, more Fet, Dutch, council woman, Eichorst, etc.

39 minutes ago, red snow said:

were those the hoody vampires from the end of season 1?

Yes, the character who was supposed to be Quinlan was played by an actor supposedly too old for the part, so they retconned him as another character and introduced another Quinlan (Thomas from Black Sails).

I find it hilarious that Zack is a as a big a dick to his vampire mom, as he has been to his dad. For two fucking seasons, the little shit kept saying that he wants his mommy, now he says he misses daddy. :P

Lucky for Eph that Quinlan is characterized as an anti-hero who has one goal in mind.

And Dutch and Palmer are back. At least no more CooCoo for Palmer :ack: 

The Dutch-Fett relationship is the only one I cared for so far. I hope she re-joins the group. 

I just can't stop watching this show no matter how dumb it is.  I think the stupidity of it is what makes me love it so much.  I've been slightly concerned with the diversity on the show and especially with the female characters.  They either kill the women or turn them into enslaved vampires, which is annoying.  I'm glad to see Dutch hasn't been written out.  She's a great female and bisexual (or pansexual?) character.  Keep her around show!  Oh, and maybe include more women in general.

I really enjoyed the interactions between Eph and Quinlan.  They are so similar.  It's cute.  

Agree with above about Zack.  He's just insufferable.  It doesn't help that so much of the story is driven by this lame child actor.  

Setrakian about Zack : 

"I'm very fond of the boy... should the occasion arise to save him, I will assist you any way I can."

Well, you may be alone in thinking that, buddy... although I dont fault the kid-actor at all, he gave a strong performance in his brief scenes of the season so far ! 

And poor Quinlan, everyone giving him shit though he's probably one of their best hopes ! 

Archived