C.T. Phipps

A few of the best narrators out there, in no particular order:

George Guidall

Grover Gardner

Simon Vance

Simon Prebble

Tim Gerard Reynolds

Steven Pacey

Some others that I've really liked but haven't heard do a wide range of material:

Euan Morton

Peter Kenny

Kobna Holdbrook-Smith

Robin Miles

There are a lot of competent American narrators out there, but you can tell that I have a special soft spot for the British ones!

• 2 weeks later...

I was actually quite saddened to hear that Frank Muller wasn't narrating the rest of the Dark Tower books (from V on) due to a horrible motorcycle accident. Then I was even more saddened to hear he'd passed away. His narration for the Dark Tower series was really well done - he had a great narrative fantasy voice (that captured the western vibe) but also managed to make the characters very distinct. At first I thought he was a bit "too much" but then it clicked as the books are often OTT too. I'm sort of pleased that I chose to listen to some other books (including other King books) between book 4 and 5 (as I've heard that's where the quality drops) so hopefully it won't be too much of a shock when I have to learn the new take on character voices.

• 4 weeks later...

Self-promotion wise, Cthulhu Armageddon just came out today.

On a non-self promotion level, I like to promote the following:

Prime Suspects: A Clone Detective Mystery which is basically a Bladerunner-esque pastiche but funnier as a Detective is cloned in the far future in order to solve his own murder in a society where the population is mostly mental and physical clones of a uber-rich elite.

Altered Carbon is a novel I loved in ebook form but became EVEN MORE enamored with in audiobook form. Ironically, it has much the same plot as Prime Suspects but, well...ultra serious and I'll be honest, better.

Cthulhu Attacks! by Sean Hoade is basically a Lovecraftian horror story, except told like a Kaiju Monster tale with all of the xenophobia and cosmic horror removed for pure fun.

Archived