Gene Wilder Dead at 83

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Just now, Leap said:

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was one of my favourite films growing up, and it's nearly all because of Gene Wilder's performance. Blazing Saddles is similarly brilliant. 

RIP.

Yeah, he was one of those rare guys that bridged the gap between my childhood and adulthood and maintained greatness throughout. I can't think of a film of his that I've seen and didn't enjoy his performance in. A comedic master, no doubt.

RIP Mr. Wilder, the number and hours of laughter you provided is immeasurable.  The time I spent watching Blazing Saddles with my brother, father and cousin are some of my best memories ever.

"Are we awake?"

"We're not sure.  Are we....black?"

"Yes, we are."

"Then we're awake....but we're very puzzled."

DAMN IT!

This is terribly sad, but at least he lived a long and successful and mostly happy life instead of passing decades before his time.

It's because of him that I know snozzberry flavored wallpaper is actually...:lmao: (gotta love Dahl for this to begin with)

I'm really bummed out. More than I think Prince, or Robin Williams hit me - and both of those two were very influential creators for me.

As a kid in the 80s, we only had our four TV channels. It really wasn't on very often other than nightly news, maybe Cheers on a Thursday, and Letterman if my parents let me stay up. But my dad had a really cool 2-tape VHS deck that could record his PBS specials to show his college art students. Better yet, it let me connive my parents into renting dollar movies, so I could re-record them onto those grainy 6 hour tapes. I was a little movie pirate even at 8 years old.

I didn't watch much Disney or whatever boys watched back then. I watched Airplane, Young Frankenstein, Stripes, and the like. I certainly didn't catch a lot of the adult humor - that meant a different thing, maybe, back then. I still laughed and laughed and laughed. Wilder and Pryor's several buddy movies were among my favorites. Even if See No Evil, Hear No Evil was a bust, I was 9 when it came out, I absolutely loved every bit of it, assuming it meant those two would be hilarious, forever. Well, damnit, they are.

I'm not much for religion, though I think it's a beautiful force in our culture. I dearly, truly hope that somewhere, he and Gilda (and Richard, and so many others) are having a good laugh with eachother, somewhere.

Archived