weirwood and Jaime's dream

Cridefea

28 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

@Cridefea about the last layer:

We could also think of what will happen with that sword (if it's Oathkeeper) and if it will be important in the future, because Brienne uses it to defend herself. Might it be important in an upcoming battle?

Then there is the terror element, doe sit foreshadow Jaime dying in a battle, while fighting with Brienne and she surviving?

Anyway I think that any of these could be valid, and they are not mutually exclusive. (all the layers I mean)

LOL I was writing the same thing.. 

3 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

It's more than that.   It's about her personally, just as much as Rhaegar's children.  Brienne actually made an appearance in his dream.  She's there beside him, after everyone else (including Tywin and Cersei) has abandoned him.  She's his swordhand.  And in a certain light, she could almost be a knight, almost be a beauty...She's also naked, recapitulating the Harrenhal 'bathtub' scene.  Come, let's read between the lines!

Yes, right after I pushed submit reply I thought I should have added " the beauty of whom he had grown very fond."

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Yes, right after I pushed submit reply I thought I should have added " the beauty of whom he had grown very fond."

Yes, I'm sure under your cocksure exterior also lurks a cynical romantic!  I'm just proving your point -- you're the one always going on about 'Brienne the More Beautiful'...

Ok so there are a lot of cool things about Jaime's dream... Especially when compared to Ned's fever dream, in the darkness, about Aerys's kingsgaurd, featuring mounted pale shades facing off against an outnumbered group on foot... 

Or the fact that it in a watery hall (castemere anyone?) that the Lannisters originally stole... So Caterly Rock is built on top of another families ruin...

But really I had to post because my favorite detail is really an omission... And I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned... Tyrion doesn't appear amongst his family!

2 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Ok so there are a lot of cool things about Jaime's dream... Especially when compared to Ned's fever dream, in the darkness, about Aerys's kingsgaurd, featuring mounted pale shades facing off against an outnumbered group on foot... 

Or the fact that it in a watery hall (castemere anyone?) that the Lannisters originally stole... So Caterly Rock is built on top of another families ruin...

But really I had to post because my favorite detail is really an omission... And I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned... Tyrion doesn't appear amongst his family!

Three reasons: Seeing Tyrion riding with Joffrey, Cersei, and Tywin woulda been silly, and/or the George didn't want to foreshadow Tyrion's death, and/or Tyrion is Aerys’s bastard. 

If this isn't already in the AJT thread, you should post I there. They will go nuts. 

On 8/29/2016 at 5:49 PM, Trigger Warning said:

Do you reckon Bloodraven was just chilling, watching something on the weirnet then notices Jaime's put his head on a stump. 

Oh fuck is that Jaime Lannister? Better send him some cryptic shit to confuse him.

Bloodraven was just bored this entire time. 

Haha! This is a hilarious image to think about, Bloodraven is just chillin' on the weirnet and comes across Jaime and has to troll him. "This dude killed blood of my blood, well fuck him, dumbass shouldn't have rested on that weirwood stump, I'm going inception on his ass".

23 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

We could also think of what will happen with that sword (if it's Oathkeeper) and if it will be important in the future, because Brienne uses it to defend herself. Might it be important in an upcoming battle?

*Edited quote for length and clarity:

While the sword in the dream being Oathkeeper would be cool from a prophetic dream point of view, I have my doubts that it is. The passage states that the sword came alive with flames the same colour as the sword, silvery blue, and if I remember correctly Oathkeeper has a red tinge to it from the dye used in its creation. Now this silvery blue colour could also be a reference to the original sword Oathkeeper was forged from, that being Ice. :) 

22 minutes ago, Locksley said:

While the sword in the dream being Oathkeeper would be cool from a prophetic dream point of view, I have my doubts that it is. The passage states that the sword came alive with flames the same colour as the sword, silvery blue, and if I remember correctly Oathkeeper has a red tinge to it from the dye used in its creation. Now this silvery blue colour could also be a reference to the original sword Oathkeeper was forged from, that being Ice. :) 

I believe there is more symbology, something later in the future and the colour might mean something.

2 hours ago, Locksley said:

And did you notice he gave another sword to Brienne in the dream too? So, there were two silvery blue swords. 

• 8 months later...

I think I may have cracked the code.  Thanks to TW for blowing the Bloodraven theory out of the water, and to LFDL for mentioning Tyrion's absence, which led me to the following line of thinking. 

Jayme is naked in his dream, which means that we are looking at the "real" Jaime, shorn of pretentions and defenses.  This is why he is being rejected by Tywin, Cersei and Joffrey, because they have no use for the real Jaime.  He has lived a lie for the sake of Cersei and the kids, and they depend on him continuing to do so. Tywin wants him to be a Lannister first , last and always, with no consideration of honor or personal feelings.  Tyrion doesn't belong with this crew: his love is selfish in its own way but it doesn't depend on Jaime living a lie or maintaining a particular persona.  

Brienne, of course, represents honor, but he also sees her as a real person whom he can trust (on short acquaintance) to support him if he chooses to do the right thing regardless of the consequences.  This is why he trusts her with the wildfire story, and why she defends him in his dream. What she can't do is defend him against the ghosts of his past, he's on his own with that.

But then what do the swords represent? I think they may actually represent free will. Tywin says  that he gave Jaime a sword which I think means that Tywin raised Jaime to "be a man" and act for himself, rather than trying to break his spirit as he did with Tyrion. Brienne, of course, is possessed of abundant free will (her famous stubbornness), which is part of what Jaime likes about her. 

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 10:33 PM, TheSeer27 said:

Wasn't he also in moonlight?

I don't remember moonlight ... where?

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 0:24 AM, Lady bonehead said:

Jayme is naked in his dream, which means that we are looking at the "real" Jaime, shorn of pretentions and defenses.  This is why he is being rejected by Tywin, Cersei and Joffrey, because they have no use for the real Jaime.  He has lived a lie for the sake of Cersei and the kids, and they depend on him continuing to do so. Tywin wants him to be a Lannister first , last and always, with no consideration of honor or personal feelings.  Tyrion doesn't belong with this crew: his love is selfish in its own way but it doesn't depend on Jaime living a lie or maintaining a particular persona.  

yes, this is the psychological interpretation I was talking about. And brienne is also a "protection", she know who he really is and help him to confront his "ghosts", from his past. She stand for him when his swords die out.

But there is also the prophetic interpretation, because GRRM wanted to hint that it wasn't just a dream when he said Jaime was dreaming on a weirwood stump and when Brienne talked about the bear. So it could be important for the future events.

If GRRM had wanted to tell a psychological significant dream he would not have added the weirwood and the bear details. But if he had wanted to tell a prophetic dream then he would have made a less clear psychological-symbolic dream. Probably he wanted to be ambiguous and mixed the different levels of interpretation.

On Friday, September 02, 2016 at 2:48 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

And did you notice he gave another sword to Brienne in the dream too? So, there were two silvery blue swords. 

I love that! Especially the blueish light! It can't be a gratuitous hint! Always red and blue! And I've already said in another thread that in the LSH's cave there are a fire but the light is blueish, will maybe the dream come true there?

On 5/16/2017 at 4:33 PM, TheSeer27 said:

Wasn't he also in moonlight? Don't think its safe to assume it was BloodRaven. Could have been Sarella or Marywn with the glass candle as well.

Indeed. Bloodraven has the power. Quaithe seemingly does via glasses candle. Marwyn and Sarella do via the glass candle. The only person who sends a dream is the Shrouded Lord to Tyrion. Maybe he had a glass candle as well or it was some other sort of magic.

Makes you wonder how many of the weird things people have done could be orchestrated by these people.

Archived