Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 6: Just Send Me a Raven T-Bone

The Anti-Targ

Zemo's mini-series is the perfect lens for his brand of villainy in the MCU. "Born Better". He accomplished what he wanted against the Avnegers, outsmarting the worlds smartest man and making the worlds purest man an outlaw. Let him take it to the next level. He destroyed empires, successfully, why wouldn't his next step be to show that he can do everything that Cap and Iron Man could do.

A Thunderbolts initiative, funded by Ross, led by Zemo. A Moonstone out of Captain Marvel's movie, and a Mage from dr strange. Abomination, Goliath, and a pair of spideyy villains. And after the avengers get whooped by Thanos, or zapped into space, Zemo introduces heroes beloved by the people. He can even reuse the same rhetoric about Sokovia, and how the thunderbolts miniimize collateral damage.

4 minutes ago, SerPaladin said:

Zemo's mini-series is the perfect lens for his brand of villainy in the MCU. "Born Better". He accomplished what he wanted against the Avnegers, outsmarting the worlds smartest man and making the worlds purest man an outlaw. Let him take it to the next level. He destroyed empires, successfully, why wouldn't his next step be to show that he can do everything that Cap and Iron Man could do.

A Thunderbolts initiative, funded by Ross, led by Zemo. A Moonstone out of Captain Marvel's movie, and a Mage from dr strange. Abomination, Goliath, and a pair of spideyy villains. And after the avengers get whooped by Thanos, or zapped into space, Zemo introduces heroes beloved by the people. He can even reuse the same rhetoric about Sokovia, and how the thunderbolts miniimize collateral damage.

I would be first in line for a good Thunderbolts flick. Sounds good to me. Have your people call my people, we'll do that lunch thing.

Interesting comment from Nicole Perlman re Captain Marvel

WHAT'S THE STORY?

There's no plot synopsis yet, but in the comics Carol Danvers is an Air Force pilot whose DNA is fused with an alien's thanks to an accident, granting her super strength and the power of flight. Screenwriter Perlman has said she wants to avoid comparisons to Green Lantern with the origin story. (The DC hero was also a fighter pilot who gained his powers after an encounter with an alien.) The film comes out just two months before the still untitled Avengers 4 — so expect a mid-credits scene setting that up.

I don't see it myself. Green Lantern (which hardly anyone saw, so that's not much of a problem for starters), is gifted a "magic" ring as the chosen one of a benevolent organisation dedicated to the protection and preservation of life in the galaxy. If they play Captain Marvel more or less like her story in the comics, she's kidnapped and subjected to evil "alien science experiments" and is traumatised by the whole thing.

Personally I worry that all we're going to get is another person exposed to radiation, a la the Hulk, in some secret military super-soldier, a la Captain America, programme and instead of coming off like Green Lantern (which it wouldn't) it's just going to come off like MCU characters who live in the same universe as Capt Marvel. Hell bringing in the whole alien thing seems to be important from my perspective because Captain Marvel needs to be differentiated from Captain America, and that's where the concern needs to be.

• 2 weeks later...

It was revealed today that Stan Lee has already filmed his cameos for four future MCU projects.

The next four films on Marvel’s release calendar are Doctor Strange on November 4, 2016, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on May 5, 2017, Spider-Man: Homecoming on July 7, 2017, and Thor: Ragnarok on November 3, 2017. However, it’s possible that Lee already shot his Doctor Strange cameo while the film was in production in London, meaning his other cameo could be for either Black Panther or Avengers: Infinity War.
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/769999-marvel-has-already-filmed-the-next-four-stan-lee-cameos#AdffPkB5oJhHlTtt.99

I think by this point Marvel Studios is in full comic book mode. They needed to ease some people in to their world with more grounded quasi-realism, and Iron Man was the perfect character to do that... But the ensemble movies have gotten fairly extreme, so by now --by the time Dr. Strange rolls through our theaters-- no one will even think of his character as anything remotely out of the ordinary.

Which is to say, that I doubt there will be many people who go to see Dr Strange who haven't already watched most of the other movies in the marvel universe... all part of a well-thought-out-plan.

• 2 weeks later...

So, last night I attended an IMAX 3-D 15 preview of Dr Strange. 

Now, I don't care for 3-D too much. It's gimmicky and usually not really needed. The only movies I've seen where I thought the 3-D worked are Avatar (visually, story not so much) and Gravity. All other movies I've seen in 3-D added nothing with the special gimmick (Includes movies like Avengers and the Hobbit).

Dr. Strange looked insane in 3-D. Just don't do it if you get vertigo. The depth of field is pretty incredible, especially int eh mulitverse scenes. Now the hospital scenes seemed weird in 3-D, especially when the camera angle would flip between over the should shots while Strange was talking to McAdams (the usually back and forth of a conversation). It took me a bit to stop "noticing" the 3-D there. It was also the first scene in the preview, so I may have been more attentive or my eyes had not adjusted yet.

Anyway. If you're wondering whether this is worth it in 3-D (or even IMAX) my answer is yes. The Inception bending of cities and realms in 3-D really made it an incredible experience.

Visually, everything looked great. Story wise, I fear there's going to be both too much and too little. Detail thoughts in spoiler tags, but nothing really spoilery. Most of it can be deduced from the trailers.

My wife and I talked after the preview and we both felt the same. There is a lot of ground to cover here, which may leave the atual plot wanting. If the structure of the preview is any indication, it's going to start with (Act 1) his life as a high profile doctor, see him interact with his girl friend who slums it in the ER, he gets into an accident (Don't text and drive, kids!), goes into depression, exhausts his funds trying to recover his hands, goes to Nepal, learns Magic, learns about multiverse, (Act 2) masters magic, bad guys show up who want to destroy this universe, (Act 3) crazy final fights ensue.

Now, if they handle the pre-magic part in flashback, they might be able to move Act 1 along faster and add more to the bad guys from the darker universe/dimension than just "we want to destroy you". But the structure in the paragraph above looks a lot like the Thor movies, as much as I enjoy watching them.

Dr. Strange had more of a sense of humor than I thought he would. The scene with the mystic librarian (Wong) was pretty funny. The Stan Lee cameo was pot on too.

I'll still be seeing the movie opening weekend with my boys and in IMAX 3-D no less, but it's the visuals that has me excited. Not the story so much.

4 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Does it seem to have established it's own genre-iness? Can't think of the right word, not tone as tonally all the Marvel films are similar, but the more successful films are the ones that go with a particular genre theme. Or was there not enough to tell?

Hmmm... Not an established genre like Winter Soldier = spy thriller or Ant Man = heist. Yes, the tone is very much Marvel. Action, humor, takes itself semi seriously. 

It felt like Batman Begins meets Inception (not picking Nolan movies on purpose). If Origin Story was a genre, I'd say that's the vibe I felt, thus the concerns I had in the spoiler tags.

Or Mystic fantasy? There were discussions about nature of reality and they showed a bunch of other dimensions from the Marvel comics universe (no alternates of this reality, though the actual movie could have that too).

Does that help? It's a great question. I'm going to think some more about and add more later.

Oh. One thing that I thought was interesting: Cumberbach's delivery/American accent reminded me of Harrison Ford. :lol:

8 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Now, I don't care for 3-D too much. It's gimmicky and usually not really needed. The only movies I've seen where I thought the 3-D worked are Avatar (visually, story not so much) and Gravity. All other movies I've seen in 3-D added nothing with the special gimmick (Includes movies like Avengers and the Hobbit).

Dr. Strange looked insane in 3-D. Just don't do it if you get vertigo. The depth of field is pretty incredible, especially int eh mulitverse scenes. Now the hospital scenes seemed weird in 3-D, especially when the camera angle would flip between over the should shots while Strange was talking to McAdams (the usually back and forth of a conversation). It took me a bit to stop "noticing" the 3-D there. It was also the first scene in the preview, so I may have been more attentive or my eyes had not adjusted yet.

Anyway. If you're wondering whether this is worth it in 3-D (or even IMAX) my answer is yes. The Inception bending of cities and realms in 3-D really made it an incredible experience.

Visually, everything looked great. Story wise, I fear there's going to be both too much and too little. Detail thoughts in spoiler tags, but nothing really spoilery. Most of it can be deduced from the trailers.

Reveal hidden contents

My wife and I talked after the preview and we both felt the same. There is a lot of ground to cover here, which may leave the atual plot wanting. If the structure of the preview is any indication, it's going to start with (Act 1) his life as a high profile doctor, see him interact with his girl friend who slums it in the ER, he gets into an accident (Don't text and drive, kids!), goes into depression, exhausts his funds trying to recover his hands, goes to Nepal, learns Magic, learns about multiverse, (Act 2) masters magic, bad guys show up who want to destroy this universe, (Act 3) crazy final fights ensue.

Now, if they handle the pre-magic part in flashback, they might be able to move Act 1 along faster and add more to the bad guys from the darker universe/dimension than just "we want to destroy you". But the structure in the paragraph above looks a lot like the Thor movies, as much as I enjoy watching them.

Dr. Strange had more of a sense of humor than I thought he would. The scene with the mystic librarian (Wong) was pretty funny. The Stan Lee cameo was pot on too.

I'll still be seeing the movie opening weekend with my boys and in IMAX 3-D no less, but it's the visuals that has me excited. Not the story so much.

So I watched the animated Dr Strange movie on Netflix last night. It sounds not all that far from a virtual beat by beat copy and paste. Which I guess is to be somewhat expected since they are both telling the origin story. Main difference of course is the ancient one is a really old gnarly Chinese dude in the animated movie rather than a middle aged, attractive white lady. I think I'm more miffed about the ageism there than the gender or race swap.

On 10/11/2016 at 6:17 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

So I watched the animated Dr Strange movie on Netflix last night. It sounds not all that far from a virtual beat by beat copy and paste. Which I guess is to be somewhat expected since they are both telling the origin story. Main difference of course is the ancient one is a really old gnarly Chinese dude in the animated movie rather than a middle aged, attractive white lady. I think I'm more miffed about the ageism there than the gender or race swap.

That's disappointing. As I know I'll be seeing the MCU version, I'll refrain from watching the Netflix cartoon. 

I'm hoping we'll be surprised by the story.

43 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

2 things disappointed me there: first, that it used music from the first film instead of introducing us to mixtape vol.2 and second that it says 'this summer' when it means 'next summer'.

I'm guessing it came out earlier than they planned hence "this summer" but it should have been a quick thign to fix before releasing.

The humour still appears to be there so that's cool. It looks like Drax might get the best lines again. I never would have pegged Bautista as having comedic talent but he deadpans really well.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

The humour still appears to be there so that's cool. It looks like Drax might get the best lines again. I never would have pegged Bautista as having comedic talent but he deadpans really well.

I would have thought wrestling would train you to keep a straight face at almost anything.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

I would have thought wrestling would train you to keep a straight face at almost anything.

That's a very valid point. He was redundant in the bond film he was in so it was/is nice to see him do a good job as Drax

12 minutes ago, red snow said:

That's a very valid point. He was redundant in the bond film he was in so it was/is nice to see him do a good job as Drax

All I've seen him in was Guardians (great,) Spectre (had nothing to do,) and The Man with the Iron Fists (bad, but that whole film was a mess.)

I wish they hadn't gone with the whole Baby Groot thing.

It's widely considered to be a marketing ploy for kids and to sell even more Groot toys because the kids are going to eat this up.

He'll be the size of a small plant and could well stay that way throughout the film.

Diesel described him recently as a much more naieve version of Groot and it's very likely that he will be there mostly for comedy scenes. Which for me is a shame because that is the GoTG character I like by far the most.

Other than that unfortunate decision I am very much looking forward to it.

Archived