Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 6: Just Send Me a Raven T-Bone

The Anti-Targ

23 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Soooo......I'm guessing seeing as Marvel didn't announce this it's not gonna be in the MCU with Spider-Man? Weird. And that's pretty soon isn't it, for a movie we've only just learned about?

18 months away, largely studio shoots and a lot of CGI. I'm sure they can easily shit it out in 18 months. It might even be a little bit watchable.

And they just announced the screen writers who would be writing it. Doesn't that imply there's no script yet? Ok, it says there's a previous draft. But still.

• 2 weeks later...

Mixed feelings on that trailer. Lots of it looked great. Loved all the high school setting bits, the tony stark connection seems to work nicely, spidey fighting street thugs was perfect. Loved the colour palette, the way his suit worked , think he's a great Peter Parker. 

On the other hand the Vulture stuff didn't excite me. Those scenes looked so dark and grey and reminded me far too much of the awful elements of the Garfield movies. 

The trailer also seems to have shown a lot of the plot, which feels like a bit of a re tred of older movies, about responsibilities and losing his powers.

27 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

The trailer also seems to have shown a lot of the plot, which feels like a bit of a re tred of older movies, about responsibilities and losing his powers.

I don't think he's going to lose his powers, the nothing without the suit thing is just about him realising the gadgets aren't what makes him a hero. As for responsibilities, it's a Spider-Man film.

1 minute ago, The BlackBear said:

I don't think he's going to lose his powers, the nothing without the suit thing is just about him realising the gadgets aren't what makes him a hero. As for responsibilities, it's a Spider-Man film.

Yeah but its a similar scenario. Spidey has to learn to take responsibility and loses something in order to do that. Handicapping Spidey in one way or another is a standard trope in most of his stories.

9 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

What does the suit give him, really? What is Spidey when he's naked? When naked he's super strong, can climb walls, and is obviously super durable / fast healing. Then he has mechanical shooters, which he developed, so Stark can't take those away, though maybe Stark gave him uber-shooters, which he can take away. Maybe there are some other gadgets with the suit. Maybe the suit provides a bit more durability / protection? Obviously it hides his identity, but Parker had that sorted before he met Stark.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

What does the suit give him, really? 

Tiny spider drone, webbed armpits that apparently let him glide, much better visibility, that holograph projector on his wrist (which I assume works with the drone) and as you said the suit probably provides some degree of protection that his hoodie suit wouldn't.  

But I still totally agree with your point! If he doesn't eventually throw that line back at Stark I'll be very surprised. Without their suits Tony would get his ass kicked by a teenager. I think I'd prefer if they don't fully patch things up and we get the rumored Steve Rogers cameo (though technically the gym class video could be that) as a post credits sequence where he asks Parker to join his version of the Avengers.

Or they could have Tony give Peter some version of the Iron Spider suit as a way of making amends. 

Or more likely the post credits sequence will be a (Hulk related?) teaser for Thor: Ragnorok. 

Edit: actually I forgot about GotG 2. That will probably have the Ragnorok teaser. So Spiderman's post credit scene will probably tease Black Panther. Which could involve Steve Rogers as he was last seen in Wakanda. 

I dunno. Maybe "without the suit I'm nothing" is more of an angsty thing, like when no one knows I'm nerdy, awkward Peter Parker, I feel awesome. And the Awesome Stark Industries Spider suit turns that feeling of coolness up to 11. Nothing to actually do with what benefits the suit provides.

End of the day, without the Iron man suit Stark is still a billionaire, philanthropist, genius, playboy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOlumXJ5HWQ 3 of those things Peter Parker isn't, and the one thing that he does have in common with Stark marks him out as an awkward nerd in high school, especially in the absence of those other 3 things.

Personally I think I might prefer Spider man to become Switzerland in the Avengers break up. He's team Stark for now, obvs, but as the movie progresses he could form the view that both sides have some legitimate arguments and he isn't going to pick sides, since technically he's not an Avenger, yet. So he doesn't need to choose a side. That would suggest somewhat of a falling out with Stark, but not necessarily a total breakdown in the relationship. It's a bit like the Black Panther's situation. Wakanda is still a signatory to the Sokovia accords (right?), BP is not an Avenger, and Wakanda is colluding with Steve Rogers in being a refuge for a cryostatic Bucky Barnes.

Spider Man could just tell Stark to keep his Avengers internal bullshit off his turf.

Archived