Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 6: Just Send Me a Raven T-Bone

The Anti-Targ

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

i love love love the trailer, just worried how it will sustain a full film?  also, it makes thor look kinda pussy, is there a precedent for this plot line in the comics?

Planet Hulk - so it weirdly has more in common with a Hulk story than a Thor one. Although that's just taking the "hulk as a gladiator" theme. In the comic it was Silver Surfer the Hulk wound up fighting and not Thor. It adds a bit of weight to the rumour that Marvel have to pay for a film using "Hulk" in the title.

Trailer seems ok - I'm sure it'll be more fun than suggested here. Although the "He's my workmate" line is more indicative of the Director's other films.

I still have trouble recognising Cate Blanchett - she suits the look. I just hope she is better served than Ecclestone was as the villain in the last Thor film.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

It adds a bit of weight to the rumour that Marvel have to pay for a film using "Hulk" in the title.

It's not that they'd have to pay, it's just that Universal has the distribution rights to any Hulk movie. So Disney would have to share the profits. I think if they really thought a solo Hulk movie would be a smash hit they wouldn't let that stop them. But the two Hulk movies both did badly at the box office. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's not that they'd have to pay, it's just that Universal has the distribution rights to any Hulk movie. So Disney would have to share the profits. I think if they really thought a solo Hulk movie would be a smash hit they wouldn't let that stop them. But the two Hulk movies both did badly at the box office. 

I totally give them a pass on the Ang Lee Hulk.  Don't count that at all.

The Ed Norton one... Eh... I didn't hate it.  Was early in the MCU though and I think they've learned enough since then to make it better.  Hell, if they can make GotG, Antman, and Dr. Strange into "must see" properties; then you would think Hulk would be a no brainer.  :dunno: 

I wonder when the rights revert back?

18 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Isn't sharing the profits sort of similar to having to pay? As opposed to keeping it all to yourself?

If they can have Hulk guest-star in his own film/co-star in a Thor film without having to share any of the profit that's a good move.

Given Thor 2 was the worst performing of the phase 2 movies with the exception of Ant-man which was the character's first outing and is Ant-man I think it's probably quite telling that of all the characters to team Hulk up with he gets landed with Thor. There was also a rumour that James Gunn turned down the idea of having Hulk in GOTG2.

I still think even if it was for slightly commercial reasons "planet Hulk" appears to be a Thor film (and to be honest it may be that they are only taking the gladiator aspect - Marvel rarely does faithful adaptations) that it will turn out for the best. The two characters work well together - especially after their first fight in Avengers and I do think the director will make good use of the actors. Hemsworth seems quite comic and I imagine Ruffalo can do deadpan (or whatever's required - he's a good actor).

24 minutes ago, red snow said:

Isn't sharing the profits sort of similar to having to pay? As opposed to keeping it all to yourself?

Absolutely, sorry I didn't mean to suggest you were wrong so much as clarify that it was more than a rumor. 

I agree it seems like a good move. I think writing a good solo Hulk movie is probably really hard. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think writing a good solo Hulk movie is probably really hard. 

From scratch, maybe. But adapting Planet Hulk would've been a piece of cake, and that storyline is just soooo good. 

54 minutes ago, red snow said:

Given Thor 2 was the worst performing of the phase 2 movies with the exception of Ant-man which was the character's first outing and is Ant-man I think it's probably quite telling that of all the characters to team Hulk up with he gets landed with Thor. There was also a rumour that James Gunn turned down the idea of having Hulk in GOTG2.

I feel like the worst performing Marvel movie still makes a ton of money for Marvel/Disney, so I doubt they're too caught up on that.  Until one of their films actually bombs, I'd imagine they are pretty fine with how all of their films are doing.

What's impressive beyond the box office performance of these films is the quality they've managed to maintain.  Few of the films are amazing, but almost none of them are outright bad either.  They usually hover in the "pretty good" range.  The only one I can think of that I actively disliked was Iron Man 3.  Compared to the shit that DC is putting out there right now and their seeming total inability to figure out how to right the ship, it's hard not to be impressed by Marvel.

Archived