Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 6: Just Send Me a Raven T-Bone

The Anti-Targ

5 hours ago, WarGalley said:

There is nothing that refutes this possibility. One takes place in the future, one takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away and one takes place on Earth in the 1930s.

Barely

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

I don't buy that different franchises are connected based solely on the appearance of one actor in both. Not that it matters but there are Star Wars marvel comics I'm pretty sure. There's nothing suggesting that the non-MCU marvel movies are in any way connected to the MCU but weak speculation. 

It's not the appearance of one actor. It's that Marvel has given a nod to the fan theory that Stan Lee is playing the same character in every movie, i.e. the Watcher Informant.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's not the appearance of one actor. It's that Marvel has given a nod to the fan theory that Stan Lee is playing the same character in every movie, i.e. the Watcher Informant.

In the MCU. That doesn't mean the characters he's played in other movies are the same character. 

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

So I guess Carnage is the villain in the Venom movie. I'm not sure how reliable this information is. This just feels so wrong.. like we're witnessing the birth of a giant dumpster fire. I just can't imagine a 2 hour storyline that introduces both of these characters (with or without Spiderman) that would work. 

That's probably the least surprising choice of a villain they could have gone with.

Now of course, Carnage is a garbage character, but it's really the only choice for a Venom antagonist.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

In the MCU. That doesn't mean the characters he's played in other movies are the same character. 

No, but Marvel hasn't said that he isn't the same character in non-MCU Marvel movies. The fan theory encompasses all Marvel movies in which Stan Lee appears. Disney-Marvel acknowledged the fan theory for MCU movies, which in a sense is all that Disney-Marvel can do. 

To me though, it's up to Stan himself to confirm or deny. Did he insert himself (contractually) into all these Marvel movies with the thought somewhere in his mind that he would be being a secret avatar for the Watchers? I'd like to think he had that in mind way back when. And I'm running with it until Stan says otherwise.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

I think you might be taking that scene in GOTG2 a bit too seriously. It was a gag, guys.

Dude, this is a message board. Taking stuff like this seriously is literally the reason for this site's existence. ;)

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

No, but Marvel hasn't said that he isn't the same character in non-MCU Marvel movies. The fan theory encompasses all Marvel movies in which Stan Lee appears. Disney-Marvel acknowledged the fan theory for MCU movies, which in a sense is all that Disney-Marvel can do. 

To me though, it's up to Stan himself to confirm or deny. Did he insert himself (contractually) into all these Marvel movies with the thought somewhere in his mind that he would be being a secret avatar for the Watchers? I'd like to think he had that in mind way back when. And I'm running with it until Stan says otherwise.

Stan is the Godfather of Marvel, much respek, but why would you take his word on it? He don't know jack about this stuff. Stan just shows up to set like a rockstar, puts on the wardrobe they give him, says his one or two lines, says his goodbyes, and then hops back in his limo to his mansion full of supermodels. At least that's the way I picture it...and I'm running with it until Stan says otherwise. :D

On 6/18/2017 at 3:40 PM, Bastard of Boston said:

Well, this is pretty big news, y'all...

Amy Pascal, with Feige looking on, says Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable ARE based within the Homecoming Universe...

Which means these movies are based in the MCU.

They've since clarified that they are not connected in any way:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/25/kevin-feige-amy-pascal-venom-mcu-spiderman-homecoming-/

"Here's what we're doing: all these characters are a part of the Marvel comic book universe," Pascal said. "In that universe, they are all related to each other. Kevin [Feige] makes characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These characters are separate, except for Spidey, who belongs in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which is why he's there."

When asked if this is an absolute confirmation that a Venom and Spider-Man crossover is officially off the table, Feige is quick to say "We never say never."

However, he points out he would say the same thing about characters less likely than Venom to appear, as well. "You could ask me, 'Is Superman gonna be there?' I go, 'Never say never,' but not any time soon."

On 2017-6-22 at 8:50 PM, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Stan is the Godfather of Marvel, much respek, but why would you take his word on it? He don't know jack about this stuff. Stan just shows up to set like a rockstar, puts on the wardrobe they give him, says his one or two lines, says his goodbyes, and then hops back in his limo to his mansion full of supermodels. At least that's the way I picture it...and I'm running with it until Stan says otherwise. :D

Our two positions are not mutually exclusive. Of course I seriously doubt anyone prior to GoTG2 ever really pictured Stan's cameos as representing a single character, being an agent of the Watchers. So it's a retcon from that perspective. But it certainly fits within the multiversal lore of the Marvel comic book universe to regard all Marvel franchises from all the different studios where Stan Lee has appeared as being part of the same multiverse, but all existing within different continuities over which the Watcher have been maintaining a watch.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/25/kevin-feige-amy-pascal-venom-mcu-spiderman-homecoming-/

I've also heard that since the Sony/Disney deal only extends to Homecoming 2, and that Holland is contracted for 3 solo Spidey movies it's possible there could be a convergence between Spidey and Venom in Homecoming 3, unless the Sony/Disney deal gets extended.

If Spidey in the MCU becomes hugely popular I think Marvel would probably be keen to extend the relationship, and Sony would be stupid not to buy in. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Sony decided to take the stupid option. 

I'd prefer Homecoming 3 to mix it up with Daredevil rather than a MCU character. But I think that's about as likely as Venom turning up in a MCU movie.

Spiderman cast list is out. I'm glad to hear that

Paltrow is back as Pepper, I thought she was done. Also apparently Micheal Mando is playing the guy who becomes Scorpion

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/homecoming/spider-man-homecoming-cast-list-confirms-jennifer-connelly-pepper-potts-two-shockers-prowler-scorpion-a151972 

On 25/06/2017 at 7:31 PM, RumHam said:

or more accurately, Kevin Feige had a serious chat with Amy Pascal immediately after the press junket where she announced in front of him that the other films were part of the marvel cinematic universe. Claiming she meant Marvel comics is just spin. Although maybe Fox should try that one with the next X-men film? I do sometimes wonder if the average cinema goer does see the Marvel Studios banner at the start of the Fox and sony films and simply thinks they are part of the same universe? And probably wonders why they don't cross over.

Good to hear the postive reviews although I wish I hadn't read who David Glover was playing.

I have been enjoying the "confirmation" that Peter Parker was the kid in the Iron Man mask in Iron Man 2. That's a nice retcon/been legally allowed to admit the homage while Sony and Marvel are friends. It definitely fits with the age of Tom Holland Spidey and could work as a primer in his heroic outlook. Wonder if it's directly referenced in the new film?

I dunno, I think everyone's playing the semantics game. I think Sony firmly sees Venom as being in the Tom Holland Spidey continuity. Tom Holland's Spidey is definitely in the MCU continuity. Ergo Venom is in the MCU continuity. What is that, the transitive principle or something?

Anyway Feige saying Venom is not in the MCU is basically saying no Marvel/Disney controlled movie will ever show or mention Sony's current iteration of Venom, and that is almost certainly going to be true for as long as this MCU continuity exists. While Sony saying Venom is in the MCU, is true by association of the MCU with the Tom Holland Spideyverse in which Sony sees Venom existing, even if they don't talk about Spidey in the Venom movie.

Speculation that the Venom movie takes place in the future relative to the Homecoming movies certainly would help to keep Venom at arm's length from the current Spidey / Avengers orgy. Marvel clearly is not going to allow any references to the MCU characters or events in Venom. But at some point I can see Sony wanting to converge Spider Man and Venom, and if Tom Holland's Spidey is doing well and he signs on for more appearances after Homecoming 3, Sony might want to bring them together for the 4th Spidey movie, or even Homecoming 3 if Sony and Disney decide to part ways after Homecoming 2, which might happen if Venom does well and if Disney tries to force Sony to keep Venom out of Spidey's solo stories.

So I think contextually Amy Pascal and Kevin Feige are both right in their original descriptions. But it was probably necessary for these clarifications to come out to avoid people thinking that Venom may turn up in a scene with Captain America or Iron Man, or even in Homecoming 1 or 2. Best thing that can now be speculated is if Spidey will be mentioned in Venom.

Spider Man to take the "sheparding" role of Iron Man for Phase 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9kAB3Whj8k

I don't think so. I don't see Disney/Marvel hitching itself to Spider Man like that. They should be setting things up for Captain Marvel to be the pivot for the Avengers. If she gets the right intro, and she is a major arse-kicker in Avengers 4 close to the power level of Thor then she is really the natural choice. 

Though it is an interesting concept to see the continuing story of the Avengers being seen through the eyes of a High school / college undergrad student. But it's equally interesting to see it through the eyes of a flawed person with a lot of baggage and a lot of power who is struggling to be a leader among "gods".

yeah, that would be really risky of Marvel to put their eggs in the baskets of a character they only have on loan. They'd need a watertight contract to attempt that.

As for the shared universe thing, I agree that if Tom Holland appears in the Venom film then Venom is in the MCU. Same with the other Sony spin-offs. If Spider-man isn't played by Holland then it isn't in much the same way that CW's arroverse is not in the DCEU due to Flash (but not the same actors) being present.

If Venom is set in the future then they might use a different actor in which case it's safe.

Otherwise I can understand why Feige wants to keep an R-rated property at arms length. At best I imagine the sony spin offs will get the same level of recognition from the MCU as the marvel netflix and Abc shows do. Eg not much. I guess Marvel won't stop them from referencing MCU events but they may have difficulty using the MCU characters.

So far, so excellent on the Spidey reviews. Really looking forward to this one.

Regarding the "will they/won't they?" I think this is Marvel TV all over again. The MCU is still gatekeeper. They have the rep and can be as discriminatory as they want. Spidey is still Sony's. I imagine they'll reference Spidey in their other movies and even use him. Marvel can either acknowledge those movies or not. Sony will never allow Marvel to do anything to contradict their cinematic universe in their movies, as they will always own Spidey and his extended cast. Basically, we'll have another "These things are all happening in the same universe, even if nothing is referenced in the other studio's films."

Archived