Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 6: Just Send Me a Raven T-Bone

The Anti-Targ

regarding the Fantastic Four...

There is a place for them within the MCU should Disney ever get the rights... I agree with some of the others in this thread that there have been really good --not-too-hokey-- arcs in the comics... and that they could make a terrific addition to the brand...  but by themselves, I don't think that Fox can figure out how to make a good movie with this property....

Growing up... I remember when the Hulk defeated the Thing to become the toughest hero in the Marvel Universe... That was huge....lol... and yes, I'm old.

To me... the best use of the FF came during Civil War... when they split up along battle lines.... and Reed and Tony put their brains together.... 

2 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

On the TV end, the New Warriors cast was announced...

Meet the Warriors

It might just be the Inhumans trailer, but I'm feeling massively wary of Marvel TV right now. I have always been a staunch defender of Agents. but I feel the brand over-reach is coming if not upon us. If they are willing to devote what they need to, to make this work, great. But if it's a lazy cashing in job, fuck it.

Plan to see Spider-man tomorrow, so will see how that turns out. Heard great things.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

It might just be the Inhumans trailer, but I'm feeling massively wary of Marvel TV right now. I have always been a staunch defender of Agents. but I feel the brand over-reach is coming if not upon us. If they are willing to devote what they need to, to make this work, great. But if it's a lazy cashing in job, fuck it.

Plan to see Spider-man tomorrow, so will see how that turns out. Heard great things.

Inhumans is only their second network TV show. The only real flop they've had is Iron Fist. If you are a supporter of AoS, it seems kind of harsh to sell your stock based on a trailer. The Cloak and Dagger trailer was decent and this will be on the same network. Runaways trailer was absolutely spectacular.

9 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Inhumans is only their second network TV show. The only real flop they've had is Iron Fist. If you are a supporter of AoS, it seems kind of harsh to sell your stock based on a trailer. The Cloak and Dagger trailer was decent and this will be on the same network. Runaways trailer was absolutely spectacular.

You forget Agent Carter.

I'm certainly up for an intricate, dramatic political intrigue story, with just the right amount of action for spice. I just hope the writers are (or were) up to the task. It could put a whole new gloss on the MCU. But if it falls flat from cookie-cutter plot and cliche script it will be a substantial setback for the MCU and for leading characters who are not white [and male?]. It would put a big weight on Captain Marvel's shoulder to show that lead character diversity does work in the MCU. If BP succeeds then there's less pressure on Captain Marvel, at least in this respect. Disney/Marvel still has to show they can write a MCU movie where the female lead carries the whole thing. Disney's certainly written movies where females have carried, so they have pedigree.

14 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Oops. You didn't like Agent Carter? I liked both seasons.

My comment was strictly in relation to your statement that Inhumans is their 2nd network TV show. It would be the 3rd, no?

And I liked AC, but I thought the 2nd season was much below the first one. And lets not forget that Agents of SHIELD struggled in its first two seasons, and it was the few connections it had with the movie universe that kept it going. Only after, it became much stronger.

By the looks of it, Inhumans is intended to stand on its own from the start. No connection to the movie universe, and little or no connection to AoS (which is stupid, imo). And if we are to follow the Netflix trend: Daredevil good, JJ good, LC good, but somewhat weaker than the other two, and Iron Fist pretty bad

So there is a danger that Inhumans will flop badly. Their touting of IMAX cameras, and theatre premiere etc. is not inspiring confidence either.

On 7/16/2017 at 8:09 PM, Knight of Ashes said:

Looking forward to it more than I care to say - despite the reported 67 characters giving me pause.

That's the thing isn't it? My expectations for this film are high as well. The Children of Thanos look good by the way.

There is so much that can be shown in this film and it could all be so excellent.

But man there are a lot of characters in this film. No way this comes in under 2 hours 30 minutes I think.

I kind of pictured them splitting up between the two parts (I know they're not called part 1 and part 2 anymore), so maybe Iron Man and the Official Avengers have a crack at Thanos and it goes badly wrong in 2018, then Cap musters up the unofficial ones for 2019. Hopefully a Civil War sized cast for each movie, or a little more. I guess the world will have to come back to some normality for Ant Man and Captain Marvel to take place in between though.

I'd prefer if captain marvel did not take place during normality.    More epic backdrop if she military as the planet knows it's doomed.    Don't know how panther intends to act like business as usual in the face of all that.  Secluded nation?   Or maybe the end of both movies reaches the moment when the world changes.

...the thanos hype thing could flop but hey i like thor 2 so i'm sitting pretty.  They have a nice track record , but james spader sputtered a bit trying to carry the movie.

9 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Don't know how panther intends to act like business as usual in the face of all that.  Secluded nation?   Or maybe the end of both movies reaches the moment when the world changes.

I think Black Panther is February, Infinity War is May. Kinda agree on Captain Marvel, but I wouldn't want Ant Man to have to adjust its tone to fit the mood. I guess the 'War' could be Thanos trying (and at the end, succeeding) to get the stones, then the second movie being the actual battle with a fully begloved Thanos.

I hadn't thought about it before but does anyone know if The Wasp is in Infinity War or are they saving her for Ant Man 2?

I think it's interesting that the title of Avengers 4 is a spoiler for Infinity War. I can't think what it could be. I'm assuming it's not gonna called  Avengers: Holy Shit Captain America is Dead.

Also I hope Thanos doesn't immediately kill Loki. I mean plot wise he totally should, but I'd rather he stick around. 

Archived