Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 6: Just Send Me a Raven T-Bone

The Anti-Targ

18 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I hadn't thought about it before but does anyone know if The Wasp is in Infinity War or are they saving her for Ant Man 2?

She is confirmed for part 2, or whatever they're calling it, but won't be in Infinity War. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

She is confirmed for part 2, or whatever they're calling it, but won't be in Infinity War. 

Thanks. It just seems kinda weird because she got the suit at least a year ago in universe. I understand sitting out Civil War but you'd think it'd be all hands on deck for Thanos. 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Thanks. It just seems kinda weird because she got the suit at least a year ago in universe. I understand sitting out Civil War but you'd think it'd be all hands on deck for Thanos. 

Maybe adding a 68th character would cut every character's screen time from 4 minutes to 3 3/4 and they just couldn't have that. :mellow:

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Dr Strange has to challenge him on a magical level. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't their way to level the playing field. Physical is useless unless you negate the gauntlet somehow.

If Dr. Strange can find a way to foil Dormammu, who pretty much matches, at least, Thanos in the power rankings (though perhaps not if Thanos has a fully bedazzled Infinity Gauntlet). Then he along with a few of the other WMD level Avengers could go toe to toe with Thanos.

In the Marvel Comics, doesn't Odin kick Thanos' arse? Personally I think it would be good for the movies to actually show how OP Odin is. We think Thor is all that, but Odin is on another level. I think the defeat of a gauntleted Thanos needs Odin in addition to the Avengers.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In the Marvel Comics, doesn't Odin kick Thanos' arse? Personally I think it would be good for the movies to actually show how OP Odin is. We think Thor is all that, but Odin is on another level. I think the defeat of a gauntleted Thanos needs Odin in addition to the Avengers.

Yeah but Odin pretty much has to die in Ragnorok. We know for a fact that Thor and Loki do not, and Heimdall's death alone wouldn't have enough impact. 

21 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah but Odin pretty much has to die in Ragnorok. We know for a fact that Thor and Loki do not, and Heimdall's death alone wouldn't have enough impact. 

I hope Loki dies really soon also. He's a really interesting character and I appreciate what's Tom has done for the role but he needs to die soon and stay dead. Im tired of writers and directors fascination with villains and then their multiple books, movies, and stories about said villain and their sympathetic backstories.

53 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Does he? I feel like they seem to be setting up Thor: Ragnarok as the consequence of Loki exiling Odin to Earth and Odin losing his identity and his power. Loki realising he's screwed up big time, getting Thor and Hulk to help rescue Odin and return him to his place of power.

If Odin is going to die then he should die as part of the defeat of Thanos. It should need to take a lot more than Hela and Loki to take out Odin. I do see that Anthony Hopkins is not listed among the known cast for IW, so you are probably right that Ragnarok is this Odin's final movie.

15 hours ago, The Wolves said:

I hope Loki dies really soon also. He's a really interesting character and I appreciate what's Tom has done for the role but he needs to die soon and stay dead. Im tired of writers and directors fascination with villains and then their multiple books, movies, and stories about said villain and their sympathetic backstories.

It seems likely they'll have Thanos kill him after he hands over the Tesseract. Thanos should still be pissed about his failure in the first Avengers, plus it'd be an easy way to establish that Thanos is in another league than the enemies they've faced so far.

14 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Does he? I feel like they seem to be setting up Thor: Ragnarok as the consequence of Loki exiling Odin to Earth and Odin losing his identity and his power. Loki realising he's screwed up big time, getting Thor and Hulk to help rescue Odin and return him to his place of power.

If Odin is going to die then he should die as part of the defeat of Thanos. It should need to take a lot more than Hela and Loki to take out Odin. I do see that Anthony Hopkins is not listed among the known cast for IW, so you are probably right that Ragnarok is this Odin's final movie.

Well they aren't currently planning any more solo Thor movies. I'm sure Hopkins doesn't want to keep doing this forever. Plus I think there's something to be said for killing him off and leaving Thor without that safety net. 

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

Well they aren't currently planning any more solo Thor movies. I'm sure Hopkins doesn't want to keep doing this forever.

Antony Hopkins appeared in Transformers 5 which I think is a good indication that he's willing to appear in just about anything if he's offered enough money.

23 hours ago, williamjm said:

Antony Hopkins appeared in Transformers 5 which I think is a good indication that he's willing to appear in just about anything if he's offered enough money.

True. But I don't really see the incentive for Marvel to keep offering him a lot of money when they have so many other characters to play with. 

This Thor poster is only slightly less awesome than that trailer. I swear, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is all that gives me joy in these dark times.

Some random info from the panel:

Michelle Pfeiffer is playing the Janet Van Dyne version of Wasp in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Perhaps explaining the candid remarks about DC v Marvel a few months ago, Laurence Fishburne defects -- he'll be playing Bill Foster aka Black Goliath aka Giant Man in Ant-Man and the Wasp. Guess Perry White will no longer exist in the DC movie universe?

Here's the big news: Captain Marvel will feature the Skrulls. Highlighting what James Gunn said in the past, Marvel can and WILL use Skrulls. The movie will also take place in the 90s. Will relativity play a role in how Brie Larson can be an Avenger? Here's some concept art...

Uno

Dos

Tree

They also showed more Black Panther footage, which got a standing ovation. They continue to fuck with the people at home by showing the Infinity War footage to close.

That trailer is a vast improvement on the first one. I can kind of see what they are going for now. Hopefully its not the bland CGI fest the first one appeared to be. This one appears more like a bridge towards Guardians of the Galaxy and the new Avengers movie. Lightweight, comedic, colourful and over the top. I really like it.

However there is a limit to how much CGI action I can take, none of it has any real emotional impact because it just looks like a cartoon.

7 hours ago, Leap said:

Hide contents

Where to begin? That looked outstanding. Possibly favourite tease is the Fenris Wolf, which was amazing.

Lightning-Thor looks awesome. I hope he wins the fight with Hulk, and that's how Banner ends up getting woken up (if you recall from Age of Ultron, that's the only way he gets taken out of Hulk mode when Natasha isn't around).

Surtur looked great. Similar to Dormammu though, but I expect that to change.

Hide contents

I think the trailer makes it clear that Hulk smacked the shit out of him and Thor was just lying because he knew Banner wouldn't remember. Though that did strike me as odd because I thought Banner did remember and was tormented by his actions as the Hulk.

Interesting that Captain Marvel will take place in the 90's. I'm really glad to see them move away from the "movies take place roughly when they come out" thing. I hate it when they make it seem like Iron Man somehow caused super heroes to start existing. (Other than Cap and Ant-Man and the Wasp)

Also Coulson better be in it! They should even get Agent May, but I know they probably won't because the TV and film departments can't play nice. Also I'm pretty sure that's the last film on Jackson's contract, so he may well die in Infinity War. 

Archived