Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion 6: Just Send Me a Raven T-Bone

The Anti-Targ

13 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Maybe a 90s Captain Marvel is their way of introducing the time gem.

I'm not going to bother posting it, because the link would get axed as soon as I hit submit, but there's a watchable version of the Infinity War trailer online.

Also, some sweet concept art posters, featuring the bearded Cap and blonde Widow.

Here.

The Time Gem was already introduced in Doctor Strange. The Soul Gem is the only one not seen so far.

6 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

There's a bootleg version of the Infinity War trailer doing the rounds -- it's only about half the screen, at an angle, and the audio is terrible, though. I'm hoping better versions pop up or that Marvel will deem the crappy leak important enough for an official release.

It still looks incredible. Seeing Thanos in action gave me goosebumps.

So, Carol Danvers will probably still get her powers from the Kree, just not the Psyche-Magnetron? Being set 20+ years n the past (jeez the '90s is almost totally 20 years ago!) with her being in the Kree-Skrull war does that mean we might see Ronan the Accuser being a good guy? Will we see a young(er) Peter Quills running around with the Yondu? It's a great way to get some familiar characters into the movie.

I assume Carol is off planet for pretty much the whole 20 years up to Infinity War. The problem with her being planet-side during the first Avengers movie is of course she'd totally turn up to the battle in New York and kick serious arse. Unless she's suffered some kind of loss of powers for a time, between her solo movie and Infinity War, which does happen to her.

3 hours ago, Denvek said:

The Time Gem was already introduced in Doctor Strange. The Soul Gem is the only one not seen so far.

2 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Oh, right. Well, there goes that theory.

With 2018 Carol Danvers possibly having lost her powers and being late 40s to early 50s and possibly played by someone other than Brie Larson, and the team being rather desperate for some additional fire power, we could still see the Time Gem being used to go back in time and get a fully powered up Captain Marvel.

Some people speculating that the Captain Marvel movie could be setting up a Secret Invasion scenario.

around 80 per cent of Thor: Ragnarok's dialogue was either improvised or ad-libbed.

That would be massive. But I'm guess all 20% of the scripted stuff is in the film and that is probably 60% of the movie's dialogue. There must be a ton of out-takes and cuts that are ad-libbed / improv versions of scripted scenes but which didn't make it in and they stuck with the scripted version.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

With 2018 Carol Danvers possibly having lost her powers and being late 40s to early 50s and possibly played by someone other than Brie Larson, and the team being rather desperate for some additional fire power, we could still see the Time Gem being used to go back in time and get a fully powered up Captain Marvel.

Some people speculating that the Captain Marvel movie could be setting up a Secret Invasion scenario.

I definitely think the Skrulls scream Secret Invasion as Phase 4. The 90s essentially give the Skrulls decades of time to infiltrate the Earth. I don't think anyone will be using time travel to go back to get Brie, though...I think the MCU needs to avoid time travel inconsistencies at all costs. It's completely screwed the Flash TV show.

I think relativity is the best way to go about this because it'll explain why Carol hasn't been mentioned by anyone when she's existed this long. The only explanation has to be that she's missing, IMO...either in stasis after participating in the Kree/Skrull war, or one year in Kree/Skrull space equals 20 Earth years.

1 hour ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I definitely think the Skrulls scream Secret Invasion as Phase 4. The 90s essentially give the Skrulls decades of time to infiltrate the Earth. I don't think anyone will be using time travel to go back to get Brie, though...I think the MCU needs to avoid time travel inconsistencies at all costs. It's completely screwed the Flash TV show.

I think relativity is the best way to go about this because it'll explain why Carol hasn't been mentioned by anyone when she's existed this long. The only explanation has to be that she's missing, IMO...either in stasis after participating in the Kree/Skrull war, or one year in Kree/Skrull space equals 20 Earth years.

The time dilation to get to that sort of ratio offends my scientific sensibilities as a "natural phenomenon"of living in Kree/Skrull space. To get a 1:20 time dilation you have to be travelling at about 0.999c. I imagine the gravity required for 1:20 time dilation is not survivable by a person. I can possibly see Carol being sent on a "slow" boat back to Earth having to travel through mundane space at close to the speed of light, because no fast mode of transport (such as wormholes or the Bifrost) is available to her. "It'll take you 20 years to get to Earth, but it will only feel like a year to you."  

It doesn't have to be 20:1 though does it? Just enough that Larson can conceivably still play the character. I don't see her being recast for the modern films. They could also just say "oh her powers cause her to age slower" or do somethings to make her look younger in the 90's film. We've seen 80's Tony Stark and I think '99 Tony Stark, the latter didn't even require CGI de-aging.  

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

It doesn't have to be 20:1 though does it? Just enough that Larson can conceivably still play the character. I don't see her being recast for the modern films. They could also just say "oh her powers cause her to age slower" or do somethings to make her look younger in the 90's film. We've seen 80's Tony Stark and I think '99 Tony Stark, the latter didn't even require CGI de-aging.  

It'll be pretty hard to do a Brie younger than her current age. She's meant to be a Colonel, which would suggest late 20s at least, probably more into the 30s. And that's around her current age. So current age IRL Brie is 1990s Carol, which means "putting a bit more experience" in Brie's face if Infinity War Carol is going to be be notably older than 1990s Carol.

You are right of course, assuming one can get away with being non-specific adult age between the ages of say 27/8 and 40, then you only need a 1:10 time dilation. Which is achievable at mumble mumble carry the 1... 0.995c, which is so much easier to achieve than 0.999c /s. If anything, the further Carol has to travel (i.e. the more Earth time that has to pass) to get back to Earth the better, since travelling only 0.995*20 light years doesn't get you very far in the galaxy, though maybe she can be wormholed 100 or so light years from her starting point but has to, for reasons, take the slow option for the final 10 or 15 light years.

Yes the other thing could definitely be that her cosmic powers grant her significantly greater longevity and slower ageing, so she ages at a 1:5 rate (for instance) which puts her at only 4 years older in appearance to when she left, and if she's mid 20s when she leaves she still looks like shes in her twenties when she returns, but she is much older and much wiser than that. Which could set up an interesting character dynamic in that the Avengers see her outwardly as young, inexperienced and immature, not much better than Spider Man, but in reality she's been [actively] in the game longer than any of the Avengers aside from Thor, and knows a heckofalot more shit about shit than any of them.

Back to speculation about Thor and Bruce having a conversation about their fight in the arena. I tend to agree that the trailer is misdirecting us and that Thor will eventually overcome Hulk and win the fight. The only untruth to the conversation being that Thor won quite easily. I feel like Thor can beat frenzied rage Hulk as Thor can use honed fighting skills, but focused rage Hulk, no. Also, non-enraged Hulk is probably not stronger than Thor, and Hulk needs to get to a decent level of rage to be stronger than Thor.

Arguably Thor is only OP with his hammer, but I think the MCU is tending to transfer a lot more power to Thor as inherent to his person and that Mjolnir is just icing on the cake. But according to the Marvel COmic power rankings Thor only has strength without a known limit when he has Mjolnir. I would like to know how the keepers of the MCU lore see Thor's power level with and without Mjolnir.

Archived