Future Null Infinity

Sand Snakes in S7, any prediction?

63 posts in this topic

Just now, Cron said:

well, it's certainly true that Jaime is not as good in one on one combat as he used to be (even though I think he already did some fighthing against the Sand Snakes in Season 5), but I was referring to Jaime doing snakeslaying in a more general sense, such as a military commander, whether he's commanding a large force or a very small one, but surely including Bronn, and possibly also including Frankengregor as well.

In fact, I've been thinking about my post above, and I probably should have added Cersei as a snakeslayer, too, in a similar general sense, not that she is likely to be beating them in single combat, but as queen..

The link has certainly be setup with Bron especially and I think the scene with Olenna in the finale highlights that D&D have taken on that there not well liked by many viewers.

There leading a fool hardy attack against Lannister forces and getting killed off would fit into the characters pretty well to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, MoreOrLess said:

The link has certainly be setup with Bron especially and I think the scene with Olenna in the finale highlights that D&D have taken on that there not well liked by many viewers.

There leading a fool hardy attack against Lannister forces and getting killed off would fit into the characters pretty well to.

Interesting points, especially about Olenna's treatment of the young Sand Snakes.

On the other hand, maybe Olenna is about to have a  Sand Snake problem herself.  I like Olenna a lot, but she might be getting a little cocky.   She was speaking pretty boldly to ruthless murderers who just crossed off their own uncle and cousin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cron said:

Interesting points, especially about Olenna's treatment of the young Sand Snakes.

On the other hand, maybe Olenna is about to have a  Sand Snake problem herself.  I like Olenna a lot, but she might be getting a little cocky.   She was speaking pretty boldly to ruthless murderers who just crossed off their own uncle and cousin.

One betrayal could be the Tarly's turning on her with the promise from Cersei that they get The Reach instead although I could also potentially just see her dying of old age/illness.

Generally though I think its much easier to see her working with Dany and co than it is with the Dornish women, she's a bit ruthless but not bloodthirsty and I can see her personality playing off of Dany, Tyrion, Vary's, etc very well.

I suspect as well that team Dany might well end up quite sub divided, everyone involved in a single large army seems potentially too cluttered to me.

Edited by MoreOrLess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think D&D have realised the Dorne arc in the show is not popular and indeed them having Olenna tell the Sand Snakes to shut up in the last episode was recognition of that.

I think the Sand Snakes will play a background role and have very very little screen time from now and do nothing (except maybe die). They may play a bigger role in books, but as far as the show goes, they are done.

Their biggest accomplishment in S7 will be to support Daenerys...and then probably die.

Edited by Gaz0680

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MoreOrLess said:

One betrayal could be the Tarly's turning on her with the promise from Cersei that they get The Reach instead although I could also potentially just see her dying of old age/illness.

Generally though I think its much easier to see her working with Dany and co than it is with the Dornish women, she's a bit ruthless but not bloodthirsty and I can see her personality playing off of Dany, Tyrion, Vary's, etc very well.

I suspect as well that team Dany might well end up quite sub divided, everyone involved in a single large army seems potentially too cluttered to me.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing Olenna will live to the end.  So many Tyrells just died that I think she's safe (but maybe I'm wrong, the Baratheons are, in all likelihood, already wiped out, so who knows, maybe they'll wipe out another Great House)

Yeah, i suspect Olenna and Dany will get along well, too.  In fact, i think Jaime, Tyrion, Dany, Olenna, Bronn, Yara and Theon will all have joined forces by the end of next season (so they can then join forces with Jon and the north), whereas Ellaria, the Sand Snakes,Cersei and Euron will all be dead.  (Except for the Sand Snake that seems to have something going on with Bronn, I think it's Nymeria, she might live)

Edited by Cron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gaz0680 said:

I think D&D have realised the Dorne arc in the show is not popular and indeed them having Olenna tell the Sand Snakes to shut up in the last episode was recognition of that.

I think the Sand Snakes will play a background role and have very very little screen time from now and do nothing (except maybe die). They may play a bigger role in books, but as far as the show goes, they are done.

Their biggest accomplishment in S7 will be to support Daenerys...and then probably die.

Well, I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, cuz I'm just guessing, but if the Sand Snakes don't get much screen time next season, then who will?  I know it's only 7 episodes, but they've crossed off so many characters (thereby ending their sub-plots...my goodness, they must have crossed off 12 or 15 fairly prominent people in the last half of last season) and joined up other characters (and thus their sub-plots have merged, so, for example, when we cut to Jon we see Sansa, Littlefinger, and very likely Sandor, Brienne and Pod very soon) that the main sub-plots are starting to converge, and there are fewer sub-plots to show. (I guess they could start to separate again, but frankly I don't see that happening.  The battle lines are pretty much drawn, and I believe they've been consolidating for a reason, which is to be allies in the next stage of fighting)

In fact, off the top of my head I think the show has only really got 4 or 5 sub-plots to rotate amongst, especially if Sandor and Brienne SOON reunite with Jon and Sansa, which I strongly believe they will do (Sandor's already headed north with Thoros and Beric, and I can't imagine where Brienne and Pod would go after leaving Riverrun other than back to Jon and Sansa, especially since Brienne is sworn to serve Sansa).

Edited by Cron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are here for convenience. "If we (GRRM, show creators) want to get rid of some character without proper explanation and deeper thoughts, we just plug in those ridiculous girls to do the cleaning".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:56 AM, Cron said:

Well, I'm certainly not saying you're wrong, cuz I'm just guessing, but if the Sand Snakes don't get much screen time next season, then who will?  I know it's only 7 episodes, but they've crossed off so many characters (thereby ending their sub-plots...my goodness, they must have crossed off 12 or 15 fairly prominent people in the last half of last season) and joined up other characters (and thus their sub-plots have merged, so, for example, when we cut to Jon we see Sansa, Littlefinger, and very likely Sandor, Brienne and Pod very soon) that the main sub-plots are starting to converge, and there are fewer sub-plots to show. (I guess they could start to separate again, but frankly I don't see that happening.  The battle lines are pretty much drawn, and I believe they've been consolidating for a reason, which is to be allies in the next stage of fighting)

In fact, off the top of my head I think the show has only really got 4 or 5 sub-plots to rotate amongst, especially if Sandor and Brienne SOON reunite with Jon and Sansa, which I strongly believe they will do (Sandor's already headed north with Thoros and Beric, and I can't imagine where Brienne and Pod would go after leaving Riverrun other than back to Jon and Sansa, especially since Brienne is sworn to serve Sansa).

It will be interesting to see what kind of format the show takes in terms of plotlines in season 7. As you say things have certainly been slimed down a lot with a lot of the remaining characters linking together. If they keep to the format they have in recent seasons then you would think they could potentially feature major characters in every episode and only characters like Sam and Jorah potentially dropping in and out of the story.

An alternative might be to have episodes focused mostly on one major plot(with many some of minor plots like Sam/Jorah mixed in) but have them sub divided. It used to be really only Kings Landing had a situation like that which could be covered by a episode like Blackwater but now I think both the North and Dany do plus potentially Kings Landing as well if Ayra and the Hound end up there. You can't really have all of these characters in the same scene very often after all even if there in the same plot.

As far as the Sand Snakes my opinion is still that for the show they were originally written just as lackies for Elleria but ended up having to be used more to plug a few gaps in season 5. I strongly suspect they'll still be treated as lackies in season 7 and not given any more character depth.

Edited by MoreOrLess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MoreOrLess said:

It will be interesting to see what kind of format the show takes in terms of plotlines in season 7. As you say things have certainly been slimed down a lot with a lot of the remaining characters linking together. If they keep to the format they have in recent seasons then you would think they could potentially feature major characters in every episode and only characters like Sam and Jorah potentially dropping in and out of the story.

An alternative might be to have episodes focused mostly on one major plot(with many some of minor plots like Sam/Jorah mixed in) but have them sub divided. It used to be really only Kings Landing had a situation like that which could be covered by a episode like Blackwater but now I think both the North and Dany do plus potentially Kings Landing as well if Ayra and the Hound end up there. You can't really have all of these characters in the same scene very often after all even if there in the same plot.

As far as the Sand Snakes my opinion is still that for the show they were originally written just as lackies for Elleria but ended up having to be used more to plug a few gaps in season 5. I strongly suspect they'll still be treated as lackies in season 7 and not given any more character depth.

Great thoughts and points, I read it all with interest.

I dont't think Sandor is going to King's Landing, though.  He's with Beric and Thoros now, and they clearly stated they are headed north (as I recall, they specifically invited Sandor to go with them, and while it's true the scene cut off before Sandor decided, I consider it overwhelmingly likely that Sandor is now headed north with Beric and Thoros, very likely to soon join up with Jon, Sansa Brienne and Bran)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that one of the Sand Snakes, Tyene, given appearances, will go to Oldtown to meet up with Sam and give him someone to interact with, a la Sarella Sand as Alleras in AFFC. Maybe not disguised as a boy but as someone who interacts with both Sam and Gilly. Maybe Tyene renews her connection with Bronn. Too bad about the loss(?) of Lollys. I still think Bronn continues with Jaime and then meets back up with Tyrion, so Lollys is probably out. Too bad, though, I liked her brief screen appearance

Nymeria could go to KL. Obara probably stays to protect Ellaria. 

It seems to me that the three will be split up and used in the show as plot fodder. Ellaria, on the other hand, I think she's the show's substitute for Arianne, though in the show, the meeting of Arianne and fAgeon will just be Ellaria and her meeting with Dany.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bronn shoves a sword up Tyene's cunt and shows her just how bad he likes his pussy.

This would of course create a lot of shock value, controversy and create exposition in the scene for more terrible dialogue. Stuff typical of the show nowadays. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Karmarni said:

I think that one of the Sand Snakes, Tyene, given appearances, will go to Oldtown to meet up with Sam and give him someone to interact with, a la Sarella Sand as Alleras in AFFC. Maybe not disguised as a boy but as someone who interacts with both Sam and Gilly. 

Well, Olenna actually told her she already looked like a boy. Given D&Ds talent for subtelty in setup and repurposing book plots for different characters you might be on to something. 

I think they will just be Ellarias entourage, standing in the background whenever she get's a scene, maybe make a sexy(Tyene)/snarky(Nym) or angry(Obara) comment or two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My perfect end for the Sand Snakes involves them interrupting the Cleganebowl by challenging Gregor. Gregor and Sandor wipe them out, without breaking a sweat and add a few derisive comments to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had hoped that we had seen the last of the Sand Snakes and the Dorne story arc in general.  Whether it's in the books or the series it's just a massive waste of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 4:13 PM, Cron said:

Great thoughts and points, I read it all with interest.

I dont't think Sandor is going to King's Landing, though.  He's with Beric and Thoros now, and they clearly stated they are headed north (as I recall, they specifically invited Sandor to go with them, and while it's true the scene cut off before Sandor decided, I consider it overwhelmingly likely that Sandor is now headed north with Beric and Thoros, very likely to soon join up with Jon, Sansa Brienne and Bran)

One issue of course is that the Brotherhoods plot differs greatly from the books at the moment which opens the potential it could be a bit of a dead end plus we know Ayra is in a similar area to them at the moment and that Mel is heading in the same direction. Really though this is getting a bit off topic and perhaps best left to the Ayra thread?

Again though I think its not just as easy as each of the major story threads having a single plot thread featuring all of the characters involved, Dany's story especially seems to have way too many characters for that anymore hence I think its quite likely that the Sand Snakes and maybe Elleria get killed off in a separate sub plot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoreOrLess said:

One issue of course is that the Brotherhoods plot differs greatly from the books at the moment which opens the potential it could be a bit of a dead end plus we know Ayra is in a similar area to them at the moment and that Mel is heading in the same direction. Really though this is getting a bit off topic and perhaps best left to the Ayra thread?

Again though I think its not just as easy as each of the major story threads having a single plot thread featuring all of the characters involved, Dany's story especially seems to have way too many characters for that anymore hence I think its quite likely that the Sand Snakes and maybe Elleria get killed off in a separate sub plot.

Lotta great possibilities mentioned by you in the first paragraph about Arya.  Her story could turn in a lot of different directions at this point.  She could also head north alone, or head to King's Landing alone (planning to cross of Cersei), then join forces with Jaime (yes, Jaime), Dany & Company and head north for the final battle after Jaime crosses off Cersei.

Regarding the plot lines, yeah, they could separate some of these people again, but I think for the most part everybody is lining up with the major factions, and will stay aligned that way (basically) for the final battle(s) between the humans for control of Westeros (Season 7), with the survivors of that unitingin Season 8 for the final battle(s) with the WW/Others.

But I guess we'll see.

Edited by Cron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sue from WoTW has dropped a huge spoiler bomb with regards to Sand Snakes, Euron, Yara/Theon and Cersei today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now