How Catelyn Stark Became Stoneheart

At first please pardon my English. And sorry if that topic has mentioned before.

Its only a theory and has no effect in the greater events but i love this one anyway so here it is:

In the books at RW Catelyn Stark captured Walder Frey’s mentally incapacitated son ( can be considered like Hodor ) and she said son for a son let robb go etc. And you know the rest.

In the begging of the 4th book (3rd book finished by reveal of Lady Stoneheart ) it mentiones a man beyond the Wall and he is about the die so he tries to warged a women who cares with him. Woman rejectes him and he warges his oneeye wolf.

So warging a person is a actual thing and Hodor probably not the only example.

In theory when Robb got slaughtered he couldnt warged his direwolf cause they took him down aswell. So he warged Frey’s son (probably unwillingly) so when Catelyn Stark cut his throat that was the Robb who died.

She died right after she killed her son. I think noone has any doubt about how she fond to her children. And i belive thats the reason why she became stoneheart. Her being dead so long is not convincing reason to me.

After she killed Robb that part in her died also and she rose as stoneheart.

Again its only a theory and very tragic one. No proof to support it. But it

make sense for me.

7 hours ago, Daoriot Jemas said:

At first please pardon my English. And sorry if that topic has mentioned before.

Its only a theory and has no effect in the greater events but i love this one anyway so here it is:

In the books at RW Catelyn Stark captured Walder Frey’s mentally incapacitated son ( can be considered like Hodor ) and she said son for a son let robb go etc. And you know the rest.

In the begging of the 4th book (3rd book finished by reveal of Lady Stoneheart ) it mentiones a man beyond the Wall and he is about the die so he tries to warged a women who cares with him. Woman rejectes him and he warges his oneeye wolf.

In theory when Robb got slaughtered he couldnt warged his direwolf cause they took him down aswell. So he warged Frey’s son (probably unwillingly) so when Catelyn Stark cut his throat that was the Robb who died.

She died right after she killed her son. I think noone has any doubt about how she fond to her children. And i belive thats the reason why she became stoneheart. Her being dead so long is not convincing reason to me.

make sense for me.

Thank you for making ASOIAF more sad, somehow by having a mother kill her son.

On 31/08/2016 at 2:27 PM, Daoriot Jemas said:

make sense for me.

First of all, don't worry your English is decent. It could be improved but unlike some others I can understand what you want to say.

as to the theory, to me it doesn't make any sense at all. Warging humans seems to be more difficult than animals and it would be even more difficult to do so without noticing imho.  Though the mental retardation might have made it easier.

Plus we don't have any proof that Robb had any warging ability or that he warged into anything/anybody when he was killed.

The problem with the theory is that there is no indication that it happened, no clue to the reader or Catelyn, nothing. The only argument the theory has is "it can't be proven that it wasn't so" which, by itself, is never a good argument.

6 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

First of all, don't worry your English is decent. It could be improved but unlike some others I can understand what you want to say.

as to the theory, to me it doesn't make any sense at all. Warging humans seems to be more difficult than animals and it would be even more difficult to do so without noticing imho.  Though the mental retardation might have made it easier.

Plus we don't have any proof that Robb had any warging ability or that he warged into anything/anybody when he was killed.

The problem with the theory is that there is no indication that it happened, no clue to the reader or Catelyn, nothing. The only argument the theory has is "it can't be proven that it wasn't so" which, by itself, is never a good argument.

As you said this is one kind of theory that may never be prooven. No characters know anything about it. And probably there will be no LS POV chapters. We can learn only if GRRM explains that how CS became LS. 

Its actually an assumption more than theory. But its written for that might be the answer of this topic.

Robb was not a POV character so we cant have proof on this matter. But i think we dont need one. Considering the other Stark children have POVs (Jon-Arya-Bran) they all have warg abilities.(didnt count Sansa cause you know why) So guess we couldnt be wrong if we say Robb has this ability also.

And again as a said right after we saw LS in the books we saw that man beyond the Wall. Why was this chapter for but this? Depends on all the deaths in Westeros thought there should be deeper meaning of her death. 

And no need any further explanations other than this one. Because of we have no proof it is only matter of perspective. No proof to prove it no proof to not, belive it or not kinda situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you are wrong. :P I liked Catelyn and Robb.

GRRM has said that all Stark kids are wargs, but Robb had no "education" to use this power. The best possibility is that he had wolf dreams like Arya but it's not necessary. Sansa never recalls having such dreams while Lady was alive and Jon has rarely.

Catelyn knows nothing about wargs. 

I think she is just stuck to her last moments: madness,sorrow, all of her children dead/captives, break of guest right, betrayal from allies.

The biggest flaw with this "theory" is really that there isn't a point to it, since there's no pay off to the reader and no way to proof it unless we get a Stoneheart chapter.

The killing of a warged Robb is not necessary for Cat to go over the edge, she thinks she has lost all her children, save one who is in the hands of her deadliest enemies. She just saw her son die in agony and humiliation, the war is lost, her family is destroyed and will go down in history as villains who unjustly disturbed the King's peace. Not just their lives, but their Legacy (something very important to the Medieval mindset) is over. As far as she knows there won't be any Starks ruling over Witnerfell and the North anymore, a place and land dear to her late husband Ned, whom she adored. 

In addition to that, her birth family, the Tullys, share the same downfall and ruin. For all she know Roselin was just murdering Edmure in their merriage bed, and as the Stark's biggest supporters the Tully line might suffer a similar banishment. No Tullys ruling over Riverrun and the Riverlands either anymore, more Legacy lost.

That's enough to turn her into Stoneheart, killing a warged Robb in addition to all that would be unnecessary and soap-opera-like.

In addition theorizing about this is about as purposeful as theorizing whether Tyrion's first wife wore her hair in a braid as  Twyin had her raped by his soldiers.

Archived