The Great British Bake Off 2016

Veltigar

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Mary Berry to lead judges on BBC show 'Britain's Best Cook'

Mary Berry is to return to her role as a judge on the BBC in a new programme called Britain’s Best Cook.

Berry will be joined on the programme by Claudia Winkleman, who will present it, and a second judge, not yet named.

Britain’s Best Cook, over eight episodes, will feature 10 contestants cooking “the most perfect version of dishes that define modern British home cooking, as well as create their special take on well-loved classics”, the BBC says.

• 3 weeks later...

‘The Great British Bake Off’ Launches On Channel 4 On August 29th

Bake Off is back! Close to a year after the BBC lost the series, Channel 4 has announced that the new season will launch later this month.

The new ten part series – featuring long-time judge Paul Hollywood as well as new judge Prue Leith and hosts Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding – will kick off on Tuesday August 29th at 8pm. The first week is cake week.

Trailer looks terrible.Not sure if this will be show's opening theme.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I missed the first few weeks but I recently caught up.

How does it compare?  Favorably imo.  The new judge seemed a little stiff in the first show, but she has improved as the series went on.  

The hosts are great, I especially like Noel (i think that is his name), he is a little slapstick but not in an annoying way.  There is a sweetness to him that is appealing.  Sandi to my mind acts as his foil most of the time.  They all interact with the contestants really well.

Of the new contestants, I like Liam (he lives on the edge), Yan (a little mad scientist) and James (a bit hit or miss).  There are a few really good bakers with a memorable snail bake for bread week.

I think there are fewer puns this time, or at least so far and honestly, while I enjoyed Mary, Sue, and Mel, I am not missing them.  

I think the show is just as good as before (if not better a little voice whisper).

Unsurprisingly, it's a pale imitation of the original. It is just...lacking in personality. Noel Fielding seems to be holding back, he's just...a diluted version of himself. The show doesn't seem to have to charm or heart it used to have. 

Yeah I just can't seem to enjoy the new Bake Off the way I did the old one. I watch episode one and two but found myself channel surfing during the adverts and struggling to find the motivation to switch back to Bake Off. Seems to me it's trying too hard to capture the tone of Bake Off as it was despite having new judges and hosts. I've dropped it now.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that we are down to the last 5, now 4, it's worth watching the last few episodes.  Noel and Sandi still seem to be trying a bit too hard to be humorous during their banter with each other, but they do seem to be pretty good at talking with the contestants during the baking bit.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:59 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Yeah I just can't seem to enjoy the new Bake Off the way I did the old one. I watch episode one and two but found myself channel surfing during the adverts and struggling to find the motivation to switch back to Bake Off. Seems to me it's trying too hard to capture the tone of Bake Off as it was despite having new judges and hosts. I've dropped it now.

So, no horny squirrels to keep our attention :D 

Thing is, Sandi comes across the same as she has in almost everything else I've seen her in. The fact that Noel is this hushed, muted version of himself is just weird to behold. It feels wrong and artificial and it bothers me all the time he's on screen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2017 at 4:22 PM, Isis said:

Thing is, Sandi comes across the same as she has in almost everything else I've seen her in. The fact that Noel is this hushed, muted version of himself is just weird to behold. It feels wrong and artificial and it bothers me all the time he's on screen. 

Yeah I’m hoping next season Noel is let loose a lot more, I wanted him to go full fielding but he was very restrained 

• 9 months later...

The next season of The Great British Bake Off – the second on Channel 4 and the ninth season overall – will premiere on Channel 4 on Tuesday August 28th at 8pm, it has been announced.

Season nine once again runs ten episodes and will feature the same line up of hosts and judges from season eight, namely: Sandi Toksvig and Noel Fielding as hosts, and Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith as the judges. Twelve of the country’s best amateur bakers are competing. In a break with tradition, the first week is biscuit week (the first week has always been bread week in the past).

• 3 weeks later...

For more than a year, I pondered over this. To watch or not to watch... And, I watched it.

The new season was, in some way, the least painful transition. All the elements were there - older, nicer judge, humorous duo and a lot of baking (including me constantly cheering for the finalist and not for the winner. This year it was Steven)

Perhaps it is the fact that I am not British, but I really have to say that Noel and Sandi are doing a solid work.