September 2016 Reads

aceluby

5 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

If you like the novelty of exposition, you may agree with brunhilda.  

It's not like I didn't like them (or pre-order them and stay up until midnight on the day of) but I want her to write a new story and a new journey so badly. And I'm a little grumpy that the weird ambassador didn't get her own book.

In the last week or so I've read NK Jemisin's The Fifth Season which was very good

I'm still waiting for it to come into the library. Since I didn't like the hundred thousand kingdoms very much (and yes, if prodded, I can go into long expositions as to why), I'm willing to be patient. "His Majesty's Dragon" just showed up in the library for me and I have no idea why I put this on hold. Any clues?

Just finished One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor. It was okay: about 90% of a good fun light read, and 10% of "I don't like where she took this"

On 9/18/2016 at 5:40 AM, Lyanna Stark said:

Regarding the Ancillary debate, we shall just have to see how I feel! Ancillary Mercy and Ancillary Sword should arrive next week. :)

I totally loved Justice, found Sword to be meh, and enjoyed Mercy. Could have been an excellent duology, I think, but instead it was a solid trilogy. Definitely worth reading them all (and Mercy wouldn't make sense without Sword), but it just didn't live up to Justice for me. Curious to hear your thoughts!

I just finished Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5, a wry recounting of the Dresden bombing by a hapless POV bumbling through life and disconnected from time.  Enjoyable and recommended.  I always enjoy Vonnegut, who's like a more sedate, less funny, journalistic version of George Carlin, but I don't enjoy him quite enough to justify all the hype.  Worth a read for a change in style and perspective, but not an author whose books I feel compelled to read.

Now reading The Way We Wish Things Were, a recent free monthly Kindle book from Amazon.  Hard to describe but basically about interwoven relationships and the shadow the past casts over our lives.  The POVs are all female, which doesn't often happen in my reading selections.  OK so far.

Finished Deceiver. Solid book, and ended without resolution so I'm headed right into Betrayer, the 12th Foreigner book and the 3rd in this sub-trilogy.

Spending way too much money on books this month, after this I'll probably try to tackle one of the dozens of books I've already bought and had sitting around for ages...

19 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Finished Mr. Mercedes. King has written some sick motherfuckers in his career, and Brady Hartsfield is definitely near the top of that list.

Starting Finders Keepers on audio when I head to the gym tomorrow. Gonna be using tonight to really delve into The Darkness that Comes Before.

I'm not sure if that makes me want to read Mr Mercedes more or less. o.O

Have you read Van Gulik's "Judge Dee" mysteries? It's about my only source of knowledge about old China but I really loved them. Written in the 1950s and 1960s by Dutch sinologist and diplomat Robert van Gulik. One of them is actually a translation/edition of an actual old chinese novel but Van Gulik then decided to make up his own, still with many of the traditional themes and persons but somewhat closer in pacing and other respects to 20th century mysteries/whodunnits.

2 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Anyone know any good historical fiction set in Medieval or Ancient China (or even fantasy set in that sort of theme) I've kind of got a hankering after reading a couple non-fiction books about the Yuan and Qin dynasties.

I forget the dynasty it is based on but I really enjoyed the two Asian themed GG Kay books. 

9 hours ago, Talleyrand said:

Anyone know any good historical fiction set in Medieval or Ancient China (or even fantasy set in that sort of theme) I've kind of got a hankering after reading a couple non-fiction books about the Yuan and Qin dynasties.

I really enjoyed Daniel Fox's fantasy trilogy starting with Dragon in Chains.

Finished Betrayer. It was a quick read, and a solid one, though a bit of a re-tread. I'm hoping Ms. Cherryh takes the series somewhere a little new, but I'll have to wait awhile to find out because 3 books of tea and atevi in a row are quite enough for me.

I think The Martian is up next on my TBR pile. Been looking forward to this one, as somewhat of a science geek, plus I enjoyed the movie a lot.

Finished Simmons' Fall of Hyperion and was pretty disappointed after thoroughly enjoying the first novel. I'm now doubtful that I will complete the series.

Spoiler

Without the 'Canterbury Tales' format of the first instalment, I just didn't find the plot or characters particularly interesting.

Next on the reading list is Burgess' A Clockwork Orange, Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding and Bakker's The Great Ordeal.

Archived