September 2016 Reads

aceluby

3 hours ago, SkynJay said:

I am almost out of Vorkosigan books.  Finished up Diplomatic Immunity and the novella Winterfair Gifts this week.

It's a bit depressing isn't it? I'd been holding off on reading Cryoburn because I didn't want to run out but when Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen came out I decided to bite the bullet and finish them.

I've decided to give The Fifth Season a try. I wasn't a fan of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms but Jemisin in general and this series in particular seem to be getting a lot of praise so I thought I'd give her books another go.

18 hours ago, unJon said:

Read The Call by our very own  @Peadar

Loved it. Go read it right now. 

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I dunno, I heard it has icky romance cooties!

(Nah I'm going to pick it up this week)

Many, many thanks to you both! Cooties are actually an excellent source of protein ;) 

Almost finished with Snow Crash - I had to go on a short trip Wed- Fri and there were about 40 pages or so left so I did not want to take an almost finished book with me. This one must have been quite spectacular in 1992 (or when it came out). It shows more than a little that it was first planned as a graphic novel and Stephenson can tend to the longwinded sometimes but overall he seems a pretty good writer despite such pacing issues. I found it also more readable than Gibson's Neuromancer (it's been a long time I read that one but I didn't get the "magic", might have been the translation, though, as I read the Gibson in German, the Stephenson in English).

So for the train ride I took Cryptonomicon instead and while this is also good I am (at about 120/900 pages) not yet drawn in as much as in the older book. It is of course even more elaborate and detailed, I think. It is obviously also far more ambitious and "serious", maybe not always to its advantage.

13 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Hey @Peadar

Just wondering if there's anywhere I can buy a couple of signed hardbacks. I've heard it's virtually impossible to find a copy in Dublin that isn't signed, but what about your UK fans? :D

:D Well, I'm doing an event in Waterstones Piccadilly on the 30th. I imagine I'll leave a few signed copies behind me like a trail of droppings...

Many thanks for asking, though :)

Binge read the lass 5 Saxon Tales books over the last couple weeks cause I was in an Uhtred mood. I loved

the prologue to Empty Throne and was hoping it would lead to more of the story being told from Uhtreds sons pov, sadly that wasn't the case. Still all in all the books were very enjoyable though I think Uhtred is getting a little old for the Shield Wall

:D 

Yesterday I finished The Fifth Elephant as part of my read through of the Disc and frankly its another Watch book that I really loved.

I'm now reading Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS, Britain's Secret Special Forces Unit that Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War by Ben Macintyre.  The book comes out later this year, but I received an Uncorrected Proof via LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program.  I enjoyed reading Macintyre's book on Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal, so I'm looking forward to getting into this book.  But honestly, publishers need to shorten some of these subtitles they come up with to market books.

About halfway through Cold by John Sweeney.  I think I will be giving up here.  I had some high hopes.  Within the first few pages saw this line that I really loved:

... he killed the phone and turned his back on London's distant skyline, an old, comfortable face scarred by new, jagged piercings.

The book reminded me a lot of the old Jack Ryan Tom Clancy books, but I couldn't get into these characters with the exception of a retired Soviet general trying to discover what happened to his daughter.  That guy I really liked.

This was a kindle first book so I can't really complain since it was free.  My last kindle first book Enemy by K Eason was outstanding.

I think I will move on to Bakker now.  I'm usually a kindle reader (more precisely I use the kindle app on my phone), so hopefully the maps & appendix will be easy to access!

9 hours ago, Peadar said:

:D Well, I'm doing an event in Waterstones Piccadilly on the 30th. I imagine I'll leave a few signed copies behind me like a trail of droppings...

Many thanks for asking, though :)

Nice one, Peadar. I'll definitely come along and say hi.

Was in the mood for science fiction, so I decided to delve back into CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series. I found #9 to be pretty disappointing so I took a long break (I read #9 in May 2015), but I think I'm ready to get cozy with nand' Bren again. So I got Conspirator lined up as my next read.

5 minutes ago, Starkess said:

Was in the mood for science fiction, so I decided to delve back into CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series. I found #9 to be pretty disappointing so I took a long break (I read #9 in May 2015), but I think I'm ready to get cozy with nand' Bren again. So I got Conspirator lined up as my next read.

I only read the first one. I liked it, it was very different from anything I;ve ever read, but the size of the whole thing has made me reluctant to start it back up til i get that to read pile down to a reasonable number

I have reread both The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear.  After finishing Name of the Wind I was wondering why I wasn't more in love with the series.  It wasn't perfect but was entertaining as hell and a real page turner.  I was also starting to see some of those hidden clues for several plot lines.

Then I reread Wise Man's Fear and remembered why I cooled on the series.  The first half continues to be great; the second half is a complete drag.  What the hell happened to this series?  Is it completely reliant on the setting of the University to work?  That doesn't seem right because I enjoyed Kvothe as the rich man's Cyrano too. 

Still looking forward to the final book in five to ten years.

I don't think I've posted here in a couple of months. Read various things all summer long but won't list them here, just the September stuff.

I read and absolutely loved our own Peadar's The Call. And I'm not just saying it because I like the guy and hope to meet him in Helsinki next year, I really couldn't put the book down and was truly invested in this story. I was sad to see it end and I can't wait for the next one.

Then I read The Broken Harbour by Tana French. It's the 4th book in the Dublin Murder Squad series and it's as good as the previous ones. I really love her writing and the haunted feeling of the stories and the characters.

I'll be starting Unclean Spirits by M.L.N Hanover (aka D. Abraham) next.

11 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Nice one, Peadar. I'll definitely come along and say hi.

Please do! :)

3 hours ago, mashiara said:

I read and absolutely loved our own Peadar's The Call. And I'm not just saying it because I like the guy and hope to meet him in Helsinki next year, I really couldn't put the book down and was truly invested in this story. I was sad to see it end and I can't wait for the next one.

Thanks, Mash! Looking forward to meeting you guys next year too :)

Back on topic, up next for me is The Graces by Laure Eve.

Archived