Fighting the White Walkers may not be interesting for readers.

SerDerrick

I've noticed that the White Walkers just seem to be mindless zombies, unlike Lord Randyll Tarly.

I've also noticed that since A Clash of Kings, none of the battles really had much planning beforehand, unlike the Battle of the Whispering Wood and the Battle of Blackwater Bay.

It seems that the supposedly greatest threat, the White Walkers, will be easily defeated, assuming Westeros just simply deploys the correct weaponry (Valyrian steel, fire, Dragonstone, etc.).

I was so hoping that Jon Snow/Targaryen, Danaerys Targaryen and others would have had to work together to make a good plan to fight the White Walkers, who hopefully will develop enough intellectual capability to come up with some good attack plans together.

Please George R. R. Martin, don't make defeating the White Walkers like beating Sauron in Lord of the Rings.  Bring us back to the good old days of A Game of Thrones where an actual plan was required.

Do not confuse WW and wights. Wights ARE mindless zombies. White Walkers are strong, fast, smart... And deadly.

Then again, as Fist showed, wights alone are difficult enough to stop - only thing that stops them is fire and for all practical purposes, fire arrows are a terrible weapon, not the graceful tracer-like things from movies (though given the time GRRM uses them he is also going with the romantic version). Ordinary fire, however, does not stop the White Walkers.

To date, the only loss on their side is Ser Puddles of the Haunted Forest, caught unawares by dragonglass dager into his throat. If we take show into account, there are TWO fatalities, one from dragonglass, another from Valyrian steel. In both cases the White Walker in question underestimated his oppoosition, but definitely was not mindless zombie.

6 hours ago, SerDerrick said:

It seems that the supposedly greatest threat, the White Walkers, will be easily defeated, assuming Westeros just simply deploys the correct weaponry (Valyrian steel, fire, Dragonstone, etc.).

Valyrian Steel/Dragonglass has been established as a very scarce resource, with only some dozen swords around Westeros. And of course, there are only three dragons. Add to this that Westeros is exhausted from years of civil wars, with few armies left to recruit and lots of irreconcilable feuds to deal with.

If the Wall falls and the Others are able to increase massively their numbers by making thousands of wights, I can't see how they can be easily defeated.

On 02/09/2016 at 6:40 AM, SerDerrick said:

Please George R. R. Martin, don't make defeating the White Walkers like beating Sauron in Lord of the Rings.  Bring us back to the good old days of A Game of Thrones where an actual plan was required.

1) Darling, don't insult Tolkien in relation to Martin, are we clear? And there was a pretty elaborate plan going on in the Lord of the Rings, several actually. It's not Tolkien's fault you didn't pay attention.

2) Don't tell me what's interesting. I'd take midnless zombie fighting over the bulk of "A Nap for Crows" and "A Wait with Dragons"

3) As others have said there's a difference between the Others and the Wights. The Others seem to be capable of thought and reason and scheming.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2016 at 9:40 PM, SerDerrick said:

I've noticed that the White Walkers just seem to be mindless zombies, unlike Lord Randyll Tarly.

I've also noticed that since A Clash of Kings, none of the battles really had much planning beforehand, unlike the Battle of the Whispering Wood and the Battle of Blackwater Bay.

I was so hoping that Jon Snow/Targaryen, Danaerys Targaryen and others would have had to work together to make a good plan to fight the White Walkers, who hopefully will develop enough intellectual capability to come up with some good attack plans together.

You are right, but also oh so wrong.

You're right: GRRM won't show us the Other's being beaten.

Because they won't be.

They win.

Last scene in the novel includes sun setting for the last time, maybe ever.

On 9/14/2016 at 3:37 AM, Damon_Tor said:

You are right, but also oh so wrong.

You're right: GRRM won't show us the Other's being beaten.

Because they won't be.

They win.

Last scene in the novel includes sun setting for the last time, maybe ever.

Lol, George has already said we won't end with the Long Night starting. 

Archived