Is Eddard Stark the protagonist of the Story and why?

whatsupchic

No, Ned is what we call a "Decoy Protagonist", a character that has great importance in the beginning of a story, taking up all or the majority of the reader's attention, but then greatly diminishes in importance or exist the narrative altogether.  Ned's roles in the narrative pretty much were 1) to introduce us to the world of Westeros and its politics 2) to lay the foundation of the Wo5K and the fall of the Starks. 

While the fandom often likes to say there is no protagonist(s) at all and that "everyone can die" that is simply not true, it's merely part of ASoIaF's and GoT's marketing shtick. We do have the "Big 6" Brann, Arya, Sansa, Tyrion, Daenerys and Jon, and of those Daenerys and Jon are pretty clearly the protagonists.

No one is imo; like in real life, too many a great Lords are involved and them alone cannot change things exactly the way they want them to change. I believe that GRRM managed to apply a realistic approach on how history rolls out, definitely not by a single person.

No. He shares time with other POV characters in the first book and he doesn't appear in the series after that. He is one of the protagonists. Or among the protagonists of the first book. Not all characters that appear in asoiaf are equally important even some POV like Arys Oakheart aren't that important but there is a relatively large main cast and Ned is part of the important main POV characters.

11 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Yup one of the thing I enjoy about Martin's work is there isn't one villain or hero. We have a diverse cast.

I think that just means that there are multiple protagonists and antagonists.  The line between them may be blurry but it's not really possible to Not have either.  

I wouldn't say there are no protagonists. I think you could fairly call Bran and Brienne Protagonists. It might be harder to name an antagonist, but Petyr Baelish might turn out to fit that description.

Also it seems like characters move in and out of those roles. Cersei, and Jamie for example. Catelyn too, and now maybe Brienne.

Arya seems to remain a protagonist.

The roles are definitely unconventional, but I don't think this story is without Antagonists or Protagonists. I think it's just that the characters are more complex. There is a lot more gray to people than there is black and white.

52 minutes ago, PCK said:

House Stark are the protagonists, if anyone. 

The Lannisters, LF, and Boltons have been the closest thing to an antagonist thus far. Really, there are shades of gray all around.

The problem is that protagonists and antagonists are identified, usually, by the different sides to the over all conflict.  Man vs man, man vs nature, etc.  

ASoIaF has so many different conflicts and groups of people that aren't even in contact with each other that you have multiple protagonists and antagonists.  You also have situations where a protagonist in one conflict becomes an antagonist in a different conflict. 

He is not the protagonist because he leaves the scene far too early, although he could arguably be considered the protagonist of the first book.  

As for the overall series, I would say that the "big six" of Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, and Bran are co-protagonists.  They are who the story is essentially about.  Everyone else is supporting cast or antagonists in some way,or will be in the end..

Assuming that The George's original outline of a trilogy, consisting the 1) The War of the Five Kings, 2) The Second Dance of the Dragons, and 3) The War for the Dawn, still forms the basic framework for this saga, I think we can say that House Stark, collectively, are the protagonists, and House Lannister, collectively, are the antagonists in the first part of the trilogy. Sansa and Tyrion occupy special roles, akin to deuteragonists in classical Greek plays. And Petyr Baelish turns out to be the big bad. Eddard is the decoy. 

I think one of the reasons Feast and Dance feel like the story is drifting is that The George has spent so much time transitioning into the second act. I am gueswing that Daenerys is the protagonist and Aegon is the antagonist of the second act, and the Illyrio is the big bad. 

I suspect Jon will emerge as the protagonist in the the third act, and the Others, which started the whole thing off in the Prologue to Game, will be the antagonist. 

17 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Yup one of the thing I enjoy about Martin's work is there isn't one villain or hero. We have a diverse cast.

Exactly.

"I've always been attracted by gray characters," says Martin. "I don't see Orcs and I don't see angels. The hero is the villain on the other side."

Literary terms aside to me Eddard Stark is the ultimate player in the Game of Thrones, all because of one move he made. 4 books after his death, he is still in the game because his masterstroke has yet to be realized.

While other players like Varys and Littlefinger run around making move after move, Ned's casual farce will undoubtedly have a major impact on the end game.

Archived