Olympic Peninsula, Vancouver, Portland, Seattle

Datepalm

So as not to commit the crime of threadjacking!

I'm going to be in the Pacific Northwest for a few weeks at the end of October, specifically crashing with my cousin on the NE corner of the Olympic Peninsula and then in Portland for a few days for a conference.

Any tips - OP seems like some great hikes, but any particular recommendations, especially given the weather (whatever the weather is I assume it's going to be a problem for my fragile, rain-is-a-big-deal, middle eastern constitution,) and suggestions, favorite spots off the beaten track, etc, for the cities? I'll definitely make it into Seattle at some point as my cousin drives in for work, and I was wondering if it was worth heading up to Vancouver for a day or two as well.

I'm the worlds worst tourist, and get bored and antsy after more than 14 minutes of visiting landmarks or shopping or whatever it is people do in these circumstances, but I love to wander around random corners of cities, eat new things, check out particular oddities or participate in whatever is on hand to participate in. (For what it's worth, the conference already has a tour of microbrewries in the schedule, under some absurd made up title like "Economics of local industry clustering and urban culture in land-use patterns," snort. Beer trip.) 

And, natually, if anyone is around any of these places, I'd love to get a coffee.

I would usually say that it is always worth visiting Vancouver, if for no other reason than that the possibility of meeting me is such a rare thrill, but you might find that the city would offer you a very similar, but scaled-down, experience to that of Seattle (and even Portland in some ways, though we are technically a bigger city), especially at that time of year where the days are getting shorter and, usually, wetter.  

I'll be in Nashville from the 21st to the 30th of October, but if you do decide to visit Vancouver on either side of that window, I'd love to go for a coffee or beer. We've got both here.  Or we could hike up a local mountain in the rain if you'd prefer the true Vancouver experience.  

I've never actually hiked the Olympic Peninsula, though I hear good things. Mostly because we've got a lot of the same terrain here, and I don't have to cross any borders to get to it.  I would like to get down there sometime, though. 

Take the ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria and tour around there. Go to the butchart gardens and have high tea. It's a day trip and worth it. (This is in Canada, so if that is special or impossible take a note)

Portland you need to visit Powells, which is the best bookstore on the planet.

Seattle wise, visit the space needle, go check out the chihuly glass gardens, and then either do something like the museum of flight which has a shuttle and moon landing craft, or the Ballard locks.

Hurricane Ridge is a beautiful hike on the OP.  There's no way to avoid rain at that time of year so just resign yourself to it. 

You can also go white water kayaking in Oregon on a tributary of the Columbus.  I forget the name. 

I always thought Vancouver was worth a visit.  The train is a fun way to do it.  

Victoria & Vancouver Island are worth a day trip on the ferry.

I think Portland will have changed a lot since I was last there but Seattle has a lot of fun stuff: Space Needle and glass museum are tourist staples (although we skipped them on our recent visit), if you like the bohemian alt culture in Seattle then visit Fremont and Capitol Hill to hang out & explore and maybe hit a Halloween party, drop by UW campus which busy and buzzing at that time of year, museum of flight is fun too, hiking at Mt. Rainier or Snoqualmie Falls (for a shorter drive and easier hike) is great, I always love to drive across the I-90 floating bridge -- just a cool experience, and nice to drive around the idyllic garden that is Mercer Island, similarly the elevated West Seattle bridge leads to Alki Beach (probably a bit late for the volleyball tournaments) and I always like to walk in the arboretum.  Green Lake is nice for a jog or an evening promenade. Lots of great restaurants to enjoy (don't restrict yourself to downtown).  

Have fun. 

I will third or fourth the recommendation to go to Powells when in Portland.  Even if you don't want to buy any books to carry back, go there and weep, and despair that it is not located in your own city.  And third or fourth the recommendation to go to the Chihuly Garden and Glass in Seattle.

I spent only the smallest amount of time in Olympic National Park and it really is gorgeous.  The map on this page is helpful.

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/maps.htm

There are quite a number of hikes you can do such as around Sol Duc and Hoh Rain Forest.  (Just beware of sparkly vampires because you are in Twilight vampire hunting territory!)  But what I really loved most of all was walking along some of the beaches on the Pacific coast.  I went to Rialto Beach an it was a rocky beach with bleached dead trees and dense fog.  The tide was coming in and you had to be careful not to get cut off but it was fantastic scenery and atmosphere.  Could have spent all day just wandering along the beach and picking up rocks.  Also went to Ruby Beach a little further to the south which was equally gorgeous but had a completely different experience.  The tide was out and you could walk for miles on these pristine wide sandy shores.  There were rock stacks dripping with starfish.  Not a cloud in the sky and a brilliant blue sky.  Highly recommend visiting any of the beaches on the coast for walking.

And then just to enhance your enjoyment of the geology of the area...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/07/20/the-really-big-one

Oh and I just have to say...no one ever told me how hilly Seattle is.  I was not prepared.  Everyone who goes to San Francisco talks about the hills.  No one I talked to about Seattle before I went said, oh yeah, there are hills.  So, there are hills!  So steep in some places there are benches at the top so you can rest when you get to the top of the block.  After being there a few days I did figure some streets were less hilly than others that would get you to the same place so you could avoid the really steep ones.  But quite a few tourists are caught unaware and there is lots of fun people watching in sitting on one of those benches watching people haul their suitcases up the hill.

Thanks all, some great-sounding ideas there. Will definitely try to take the Port Angeles ferry, especially if I don't make it to Vancouver (ok I want to at least have been in Canada...) and I didn't even put it together that it will be Halloween. 

Scot...what mistake did you make on the Monorail? 

It's been 20 years but many parts of Seattle are quite nice to walk around. The UW campus is very nice, also downtown, waterfront, several parks. There are two lakes right in the city. If you have time for day trips I think one can go to Mt Rainier and do a day hike, maybe Mt. St. Helens as well. With clear weather one can see Mt Rainier looming in the distance like a ghost of the mountain one of the main squares on campus. Capitol Hill and another one used to be the "grunge" neighborhoods, as far as I remember but this might have changed >20 years post peak-grunge

OOOOOH!   LittleFingers In the Air just moved to Portland and my not-so-silent-sister Cat Stoneheart is there.  I'm going to message both of them to check in on this thread.

Most of Portland is GREAT to just walk around.  The downtown area is full of pubs, shops and restaurants.  Lots to see and do.  The largest bookstore in the US, Powell's books is located there.  You'll want a whole day just to wander around in it.  It takes up a whole city block.

It's beautiful this time of year.  I'm a little envious!  Have fun!

Many of us were in Seattle last year before WorldCon.  They have a giant Ferris wheel downtown that looks over the bay.  It's well worth a trip.  

On September 6, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Jo498 said:

Capitol Hill and another one used to be the "grunge" neighborhoods, as far as I remember but this might have changed >20 years post peak-grunge

Now it's craft beer and artisanal coffee.  Same idea, new timeline. 

Port Townsend is a fun town out in that direction.

http://enjoypt.com/

Thanks all, some great-sounding ideas there. Will definitely try to take the Port Angeles ferry, especially if I don't make it to Vancouver (ok I want to at least have been in Canada...) and I didn't even put it together that it will be Halloween. 

19 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Downtown area, I think. 

Lots of stuff to see and do.  Powells should be close.

Here's a schedule of events:

http://www.events12.com/portland/october/

Lots of restaurants.  Plenty of delicious food carts as well.

Chinese gardens, japanese gardens, rose gardens.  The zoo is nice if you're a zoo person.

Happy hour at City Grill is a tad pretentious, but great views.  Portland Spirit has a decent brunch cruise.

Lots of breweries, beer, cider and liquor.  I can help with specific recommendations if that's your jam.

Shame they closed the 24 hour church of elvis...

Archived