What if the Lannisters had found Arya?

TheDemonicStark

Remember the incident with Mycah? When Arya had struck Joffrey?

Just imagine what would have happened if Jaime Lannister had found her. We know Ceresi wanted to cut off Arya's hand. It's likely that is what would have happened to Arya.

The ramifications of this are pretty big. Sansa would probably have told the truth upon seeing her little sister missing her hand. This would ennoble Eddard to take a much bolder stand against the Lannisters, and he would pretty much refuse to allow any of the direwolves be to killed. I bet even Robert would agree with him on the matter.

I suspect that Jon might even have reconsidered joining the Night's Watch, feeling he should protect Arya.

2 hours ago, TheDemonicStark said:

Wait, really? I should reread the books then.

This would have certainly messed things up between the Starks and Lannisters.

It's actually one of my favorite parts of the series. For Jamie anyway. It's while he is training with Ser Illyn Payne. It's really good, because you're just starting to feel for Jamie. I think it's in A Feast For Crows...

17 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

It's actually one of my favorite parts of the series. For Jamie anyway. It's while he is training with Ser Illyn Payne. It's really good, because you're just starting to feel for Jamie. I think it's in A Feast For Crows...

Okay. But, back on topic, what would have happened if Arya had, at best, her hand cut off? Or, at worst, killed?

35 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Seriously, I can see no way it would not have led to the rest of the Seven Kingdoms against the Lannisters in a war - hence why GRRM didn't let it happen.

Well....I think the Lannister's would have spun it. Kinda like they did.

Hell, they might have blamed Nymeria. I think many Lords would have clung to that explanation as it is the least likely to lead to war.

All the same, Eddard would not have bought it for a minute. But the Starks were outnumbered there on the road. Shit... it would have been a real mess.

1 hour ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Hell, they might have blamed Nymeria. I think many Lords would have clung to that explanation as it is the least likely to lead to war.

All the same, Eddard would not have bought it for a minute. But the Starks were outnumbered there on the road. Shit... it would have been a real mess.

Nothing would have stopped Ned, and with such an easy emotional parallel to use on Robert he would have come down on their side. Then you also have the Darry's, whose land they were on, who would certainly fan any conflict to sow discord amongst the usurpers.

1 hour ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

If Jamie killed Arya and the only witnesses were other Lannisters then they would have claimed she did something to provoke them. Robert probably would have folded and not punished Jamie too harshly (he was weak), causing Ned to resign as hand and return north.  

After that?  Can't even guess. 

More than likely Arya would have just disappeared into a shallow grave.  Maybe Nymeria would have dug her up at that point and tried to take her home. 

10 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

If Jamie killed Arya and the only witnesses were other Lannisters then they would have claimed she did something to provoke them. Robert probably would have folded and not punished Jamie too harshly (he was weak), causing Ned to resign as hand and return north.  

After that?  Can't even guess. 

Provoke them?

No one would have bought that for a second.

Ned would have done a lot more than resign.

My guess is they would have blamed it on Nymeria, or, come back to camp without saying anything and then have a little pow-wow to plan their next move.

No way in hell Jamie Lannister would have told the realm he killed a 9 year old girl in "self defense." :rofl:

Robert probably would have folded and not punished Jamie too harshly (he was weak), 

Though I'd like to debate the Arya murder cover up with you further, I have a feeling the Robert Baratheon fan club we be along shortly with torches and pitch forks. Hopefully we can pick this up 9 pages from now....

4 minutes ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

Provoke them?

No one would have bought that for a second.

Ned would have done a lot more than resign.

My guess is they would have blamed it on Nymeria, or, come back to camp without saying anything and then have a little pow-wow to plan their next move.

No way in hell Jamie Lannister would have told the realm he killed a 9 year old girl in "self defense." :rofl:

Yeah, I amended it with the whole "disappeared in a shallow grave" part after realizing how ridiculous it sounded.  :)

You underestimate Ned if you think he would just resign and return North if his daughter was killed. He practically did the same thing in protest at Rhaegar and Elia's children's deaths let alone his own kids. And yes Robert is weak, but he is incredibly manipulatable - so much so that even Ned should be able to get what he wants from him. Everyone says how naïve Ned was for being played by Cersei once, but Robert had been for well over a decade. Even more importantly, the two things he loves most is still the memory of Lyanna and the simplicity of the Rebellion, where you were either with him or against him. If Ned makes it clear that it is war, Robert will support.

2 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

You underestimate Ned if you think he would just resign and return North if his daughter was killed. He practically did the same thing in protest at Rhaegar and Elia's children's deaths let alone his own kids. And yes Robert is weak, but he is incredibly manipulatable - so much so that even Ned should be able to get what he wants from him. Everyone says how naïve Ned was for being played by Cersei once, but Robert had been for well over a decade. Even more importantly, the two things he loves most is still the memory of Lyanna and the simplicity of the Rebellion, where you were either with him or against him. If Ned makes it clear that it is war, Robert will support.

You're right, it definitely doesn't work if everyone knows Jamie or another Lannister killed Arya.  If she just disappeared though, the reasonable doubt would give Robert an out to not do anything.  Since Ned couldn't prove anything he'd probably head north if only to "find his daughter" since the Lannisters would probably claim that she ran home or some other b.s.  

56 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

You're right, it definitely doesn't work if everyone knows Jamie or another Lannister killed Arya.  If she just disappeared though, the reasonable doubt would give Robert an out to not do anything.  Since Ned couldn't prove anything he'd probably head north if only to "find his daughter" since the Lannisters would probably claim that she ran home or some other b.s.  

That is, unless Nymeria showed up with Arya's bloody clothing.

7 minutes ago, TheDemonicStark said:

That is, unless Nymeria showed up with Arya's bloody clothing.

Definitely see that happening.  They drop Arya in a shallow grave, Nymeria digs her up and tries to take her home or to Ned, and bam...  proof she was killed and reason enough for Ned to call his banners.  

I can't imagine that, if she were killed,it would remain a secret for long.  Hiding a body successfully isn't as easy as it sounds, and people talk.  As Doran Martell put it, "someone always tells."   Also,it seems as if Ned himself was concerned about Arya's safety if she were found by Lannister men,so a disappearance would have led to an even more extensive search for signs of a body, which I think they would find.

If she shows up dead or maimed, it puts a great deal of pressure on Robert, as he is heavily dependent on the Lannisters for support, both political and financial.  But he can't really afford to have someone as powerful and respected as Ned mad at him either.  I think whoever was responsible would get the opportunity to serve the realm on the Wall.

Archived