Jon Snow and Religion

3 hours ago, James Christopher Rodgers said:

The question I set before you is: If Jon Snow gets resurrected by Mel WILL he change his religion towards the Red God??

There are many references in the books that show Jon thinks of himself, and Ghost, as one and they are of the old gods. I do not see Jon changing his religion anytime soon. Jon even declined taking WInterfell because it would mean burning down the weirwood, which is a massive rejection to the old gods.

And chances are Mel will not have as much to do with Jon rezzing back up as some may think. She will probably mess things up more than help, just like when she reads her flames. There are other people there at the wall who are healers of the old gods, who Jon realizes he is like, and they will have the hand, or a large hand in healing Jon.

Too much to explain in one post.

• A Storm of Swords - Jon XII

His friends were still out in the practice yard, but Jon was in no fit state to face them. He left the armory by the back, descending a steep flight of stone steps to the wormways, the tunnels that linked the castle's keeps and towers below the earth. It was short walk to the bathhouse, where he took a cold plunge to wash the sweat off and soaked in a hot stone tub. The warmth took some of the ache from his muscles and made him think of Winterfell's muddy pools, steaming and bubbling in the godswood. Winterfell, he thought. Theon left it burned and broken, but I could restore it. Surely his father would have wanted that, and Robb as well. They would never have wanted the castle left in ruins.
    You can't be the Lord of Winterfell, you're bastard-born, he heard Robb say again. And the stone kings were growling at him with granite tongues. You do not belong here. This is not your place. When Jon closed his eyes he saw the heart tree, with its pale limbs, red leaves, and solemn face. The weirwood was the heart of Winterfell, Lord Eddard always said . . . but to save the castle Jon would have to tear that heart up by its ancient roots, and feed it to the red woman's hungry fire god. I have no right, he thought. Winterfell belongs to the old gods.
  • Red eyes, Jon realized, but not like Melisandre's. He had a weirwood's eyes. Red eyes, red mouth, white fur. Blood and bone, like a heart tree. He belongs to the old gods, this one. And he alone of all the direwolves was white. Six pups they'd found in the late summer snows, him and Robb; five that were grey and black and brown, for the five Starks, and one white, as white as Snow.
    He had his answer then.

3 hours ago, James Christopher Rodgers said:

NOTE: I am aware of the fact that GRRM has confirmed that Jon Snow's wounds don't cost his life for the time being

Did he? Can you provide a quote or reference?

On 02/09/2016 at 7:03 PM, James Christopher Rodgers said:

NOTE: I am aware of the fact that GRRM has confirmed that Jon Snow's wounds don't cost his life for the time being

I'm not sure how much the info is genuine. I found this reference:

http://unleashedreality.com/got-jon-snow-alive/

Yes, Jon Snow is alive. That should be pretty obvious to anyone who has actually watched the show. But he was not resurrected by Melisandre and he did not warg into Ghost. That’s just dumb.

Obviously Jon was dead in the show, and was resurrected by Melisandre. In the books, it is still open to debate. But the show is not the clue.

IMO GRRM was playing with the public. Because asking this question was stupid. Who expected GRRM to answer?

“Okay, fine, I’ll tell you everything,” Martin hissed at the fan.

“Jon Snow wasn’t at Castle Black in the last few episodes of the season. The man you saw die was a doppelganger, somebody Jon had paid to take his place.”

ETA: I don't think Jon will be resurrected by Melisandre. And even if he was, I believe he is Old Gods and will remain.

• 4 weeks later...

That doesn't mean he won't die. I think he will die, and I think he will come back from death, but not by any rite of Melisandre's.

It is possible that his actual "death" will be postponed for a time by having him lying critically wounded on the border between life and death for a time, and eventually lose the fight: but for long enough to be "only recently dead" whenever the aftermath of the Stannis / Bolton battle at Winterfell is made clear, either for Stannis to defeat the Boltons and return to Castle Black to try and set it to order, or for refugees from the Wall to bring Jon's body to Winterfell either after being driven out by the remaining Watch or by the assault of the Others and the fall of the Wall.

In either case, I'm certain that Stannis will meet Shireen and Melisandre again, and a funeral pyre scene, with a potential sacrifice, will be set up - but it will NOT pan out the way it did in the show. And it will be the choices of Stannis (as the Azor Ahai - not AA as the hero, but AA as the one with the fatal choice) that make or break events. I think *this* is how Stannis will die... he's seen a vision also in the flames himself, the only vision seen by an atheist (back in ASOS): it was a burning king. Not a burning child-princess. It will be Stannis who ends up in the fire.

Two kings to wake the dragon. Fire and blood to wake the dragon. Both of these things have been said.

Another king - Theon, who can't claim his throne because there is no way the ironborn would have him, but he was not present to be rejected at the kingsmoot so technically his claim still stands - is already going to die by the sword. Plenty of "blood". And Stannis has already seen a vision of a king dying in, erm, "fire", and he too is - like Theon - a king whose kingdom won't have him...

And Jon is a bastard dragon who will be at that time in need of, erm, "awakening"...

On 9/5/2016 at 2:34 PM, BalerionTheCat said:

I'm not sure how much the info is genuine. I found this reference:

http://unleashedreality.com/got-jon-snow-alive/

Yes, Jon Snow is alive. That should be pretty obvious to anyone who has actually watched the show. But he was not resurrected by Melisandre and he did not warg into Ghost. That’s just dumb.

Obviously Jon was dead in the show, and was resurrected by Melisandre. In the books, it is still open to debate. But the show is not the clue.

IMO GRRM was playing with the public. Because asking this question was stupid. Who expected GRRM to answer?

“Okay, fine, I’ll tell you everything,” Martin hissed at the fan.

“Jon Snow wasn’t at Castle Black in the last few episodes of the season. The man you saw die was a doppelganger, somebody Jon had paid to take his place.”

ETA: I don't think Jon will be resurrected by Melisandre. And even if he was, I believe he is Old Gods and will remain.

That article is completely fabricated. Martin never said any of that.

(If you already knew that, and I sound like that guy I apologize :P)

On 30/09/2016 at 0:29 AM, Maelys I Blackfyre said:

That article is completely fabricated. Martin never said any of that.

(If you already knew that, and I sound like that guy I apologize :P)

I'm not familiar with what could be trusted or not. I found only this one reference. So it was not looking high confidence. I didn't read all the article before. But in the end, he says the book will not be before mid 2018 at the earliest. Definitively not something GRRM would say, or it would be everywhere now.

Thanks for the confirmation.

6 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I'm not familiar with what could be trusted or not. I found only this one reference. So it was not looking high confidence. I didn't read all the article before. But in the end, he says the book will not be before mid 2018 at the earliest. Definitively not something GRRM would say, or it would be everywhere now.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Not a problem! Sounded a little bit fishy, and the "about" section of the website specified that it was a satirical news site. Would be nice if there was some real info out there something, and not all this parody nonsense for once.

• 3 weeks later...

As many times as history sort of repeats itself in ASOIAF it's perfectly natural That Jon would be grievously injured in order to produce the same sleep that allowed Bran to listen to the 3EC.  For all I know Jon is that character GRRM went on about changing last year.  Dead, not dead, it doesn't matter so much to Jon as it does to the readers.   I think we all expect some out of body traveling in Ghost and dream communication with Bran and 3EC, maybe Euron, who knows!   Really as busy as Jon is how else can anyone hope to have his full attention?   

Jon is an Old Gods guy all the way.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:02 PM, JLE said:

In either case, I'm certain that Stannis will meet Shireen and Melisandre again, and a funeral pyre scene, with a potential sacrifice, will be set up - but it will NOT pan out the way it did in the show. And it will be the choices of Stannis (as the Azor Ahai - not AA as the hero, but AA as the one with the fatal choice) that make or break events. I think *this* is how Stannis will die... he's seen a vision also in the flames himself, the only vision seen by an atheist (back in ASOS): it was a burning king. Not a burning child-princess. It will be Stannis who ends up in the fire.

Two kings to wake the dragon. Fire and blood to wake the dragon. Both of these things have been said.

Another king - Theon, who can't claim his throne because there is no way the ironborn would have him, but he was not present to be rejected at the kingsmoot so technically his claim still stands - is already going to die by the sword. Plenty of "blood". And Stannis has already seen a vision of a king dying in, erm, "fire", and he too is - like Theon - a king whose kingdom won't have him...

And Jon is a bastard dragon who will be at that time in need of, erm, "awakening"...

Damnit I've never considered this "Two kings to wake the dragon" thing before and now I'm convinced.  I might suggest that Mance Rayder would be the second King instead of Theon, but either is possible.

Archived