UK Politics: The Overton Defenestration

Hereward

This is actually one of those moments when the 'special relationship' can be taken to mean something other than desperate neediness by the UK, because Trump, believe it or not, wants something from the UK.

I mean, what he wants is an invitation to tea with the Queen because he's one of those pompous idiots who think that's a big deal. But still.

3 hours ago, Arakan said:

Please stop putting me in the AfD corner. This is a lie. Is CSU or CDU now AfD or what?

I don't think you're really an AfD guy at all. You're just so keen to keep an argument going sometimes that in that particular moment you ended up taking a position that even in the midst of it you were finding yourself having to deliberately distance yourself from them.

3 hours ago, Arakan said:

Furthermore...your nitpicking because I use European and EU values interchangeably. I will not comment on this. 

Why not? How is it nitpicking? It's a pretty important distinction. Heck, plenty of Europe isn't even in the EU.

4 hours ago, Arakan said:

Please stop putting me in the AfD corner. This is a lie. Is CSU or CDU now AfD or what?

Furthermore...your nitpicking because I use European and EU values interchangeably. I will not comment on this. 

Is the CSU not the AfD? Listening to Seehofer or Söder, I really can't see a difference? Well, the dialect differs a bit. But on a content level, not so much.

40 minutes ago, Notone said:

Is the CSU not the AfD? Listening to Seehofer or Söder, I really can't see a difference? Well, the dialect differs a bit. But on a content level, not so much.

Back in the day when Haider was still around the CSU used to be on the right of the FPÖ on a lot of issues and jumped on the anti-muslim bandwagon at least as far back as 911. It used to be a point of pride for some people that the CSU was so far right that there was no place for a legal(=non-nazi) party right of it.

I know, I like the Green's election posters from back then.

Beckstein would also deport Jesus.

Anyway, this is going off topic, and I had no and I still do have no intention of hijacking a UK politics thread. So this will be my last comment on right wing German parties.

Incidentally, congratulations to Jeremy Corbyn for yet again finding a way to turn a victory into a fiasco. I've seen a bunch of posts on FB and Twitter explaining the excellent reasons why the leadership ordering a three line whip in favour of triggering Article 50 was a brilliant strategy, none of which address the fact that imposing a three line whip when you can't actually deliver it is always a really terrible idea. Even the whips are rebelling.

You'd won, Jeremy. All you had to do was allow a free vote. The bill would have passed either way, so it didn't matter. Yet for some reason you decided to try to force a chunk of your MPs to vote against their constituents' wishes. So now the story is about how your party is divided and you can't lead it, yet again. Great strategy.

Did we just agree to supply an authoritarian regime hundreds of millions of pounds worth of military equipment at a time when it's cracking down on its own people and inflicting human rights abuses on its citizens?

I mean, we have form for this, sure, but this feels a bit of a blatant and desperate move by May. At this rate if North Korea was to offer a free trade deal, I'm not convinced she'd turn them down.

24 minutes ago, Notone said:

For a moment I was honestly baffled, since May was in Washington. But you meant Turkey. Don't worry, you are not the only ones supplying arms to that mad man.

Yeah, she got on the plane straight from Washington DC to Ankara. Apparently she's already flown on to Latveria to discuss a new trade and arms deal with President Victor V.D.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Did we just agree to supply an authoritarian regime hundreds of millions of pounds worth of military equipment at a time when it's cracking down on its own people and inflicting human rights abuses on its citizens?

I mean, we have form for this, sure, but this feels a bit of a blatant and desperate move by May. At this rate if North Korea was to offer a free trade deal, I'm not convinced she'd turn them down.

I would wipe away a nostalgic tear for the my childhood memories of the Arms-to-Iraq affair, but it's not as if the UK's ever stopped selling weaponry to unpleasant regimes. 

Conservative MP Nadhim Zahawi, who was born in Iraq but only has British citizenship, checked with a US immigration lawyer and was told that he would not be able to enter the United States under the travel ban. 

Still no statement by Theresa May on the issue.

I would wipe away a nostalgic tear for the my childhood memories of the Arms-to-Iraq affair, but it's not as if the UK's ever stopped selling weaponry to unpleasant regimes. 

Oh true. I don't think that makes it okay though, or not worthy of comment or criticism.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Conservative MP Nadhim Zahawi, who was born in Iraq but only has British citizenship, checked with a US immigration lawyer and was told that he would not be able to enter the United States under the travel ban. 

Still no statement by Theresa May on the issue.

Her conduct regarding Trump has been sickening. She is a national disgrace.

4 minutes ago, Chaircat Meow said:

She's right. US immigration policy is their business, British immigration policy is ours.

And we never ever comment on other countries' policies.

Oh, no, wait, we do and indeed Theresa May herself did that today, in Turkey.

Archived