UK Politics: The Overton Defenestration

Hereward

16 hours ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

Wait, that's unfair. It's not hell where Arakan or I live, and at least some people here can see that the only reason the CSU is not treated like the AfD is that the CDU needs to pretend those two are not at all alike in order to stay in power (and if there's one thing the CDU is incredibly good at, it's deluding themselves and their voters in order to stay in power...)

The hell part was of course a play on Seehofer describing his state as "the precursor to paradise".

TBF the CDU used to be morally as bankrupt as their Bavarian appendix. But Merkel has moved her party pretty much to the center and their most despicable members like Koch, Kanther or Steinbach are goners. I would never ever vote for them, but I acknowledge that the CDU is way more centrist than it used to be. But as the Ferengi rule of Acquisition 285 puts it so nicely. "No good deed ever goes unpunished." The little CSU often attacks Merkel exactly for that, and the AfD is benefitting from that void on the right.

So I find a CSU supporter hiding behind Merkel, while his party is attacking her, to be quite a bit bizarre. It gets of course particularly rich for non-Bavarians, when a CSU supporter claims his party is nothing like the AfD, while the AfD and CSU launch pretty much the same attacks against Merkel on her refugee policy. And cognitive dissonances like those simply deserve to get called out imo. And Seehofer praising Trump. Same story.

That's the funny part about the CSU they want it both ways. They want the moderate voters to vote for them, because of Merkel. And at the same time want the more right wing voters by attacking Merkel. 

I think the last Euro politics thread was filled up and another one was closed after a few messages for no obvious reason. I really think it is bad moderating style to close threads without warnings.

5 hours ago, Arakan said:

Polishgenius, what is so hard to understand for you?

There's nothing hard to understand about your argument here. It's not complex, it's just silly.

And yes, to be fair, you have so far been consistent in this particular argument. So consistent that you're not actually responding to any disagreement- you're just reposting the same points over and over with variations on the theme of 'if you don't agree you must be stupid' attached. I'm pretty sure I dislike May a lot more than you, but that doesn't mean I have to pretend I don't see the tough situation she's in, even if I don't agree with how she's handling it.

Archived