UK Politics: The Overton Defenestration

Hereward

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Yeah, fair. But that insight comes from the fact that he's one of them, so naturally he thinks like them. Farage believed Trump would win for the same reason most Trump supporters believed it: he wanted him to win. That's not punditry. It's just agreement.

I'm not sure he is, I would not trust anything he says to be his honest opinion. He is certainly familiar with those demographics, that does not mean he has to be one of them. There are also variations in opinion  among them, so several groups, and he could at most be part of one, wouldn't you agree?

He's largely irrelevant anyway, first past the post ensures that. A more relevant question would be if the Tories would pander to them, or be too afraid of losing centre voters.

• 3 weeks later...

Christ, I don't know. These people need humanitarian aid, but it risks brinkmanship with Russia. My initial gut reaction is that we should do it - the situation is Aleppo is horrific and if we can alleviate some of that suffering then we should - but it's such a complicated and unstable situation that I can't really think through the various unintended consequences.

It sounds like sticking a band-aid over the side of the Titanic. Too little, too late, done just so we can feel better. We'd be better off sending humanitarian aid to the refugee camps in Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

He was more trying to run on Heathrow I thought.

Yeah, the idea seemed to be to resign and get re-elected as nominally an independent single-issue campaigner because everyone loves those. I suspect that many voters didn't buy it, particularly as it was transparently clear from the Tories' decision not to run a candidate against him that the whole thing was a facade.

• 2 weeks later...

Well not only do those foreign students, Steel University places from our own hard working Students, they also steel the Students part time jobs.   They probably can also be blamed for steeling some benefits somehow.

Maybe after they complete their degrees they will stay, and steel our benefits?  maybe bring over sponging family members and destroy the NHS.

And what would happen if these foreign students meet Good Honest British students of the opposite sex?   They might make babies together and steel even more of our benefits?  or shock horror they could get married and never leave us again.  We could be stuck with jolly foreigner for the rest of their Benefit sponging job steeling lives?

They might also be not fully white? 

In case its not clear,   I personally do not hold these views, nor agree with them in any way shape or form.   But it might be how the Government is justifying this?

Basically, the government has been told over and over that the sensible thing to do is exclude non-EU students (who are here temporarily, and who everyone agrees benefit the economy with no negative effects) from the immigration figures. So naturally they have consistently refused to do that. I work in higher education and I have no idea what the arguments are for not excluding non-EU students. I've never heard one. The government just says 'no' and doesn't explain their reasoning.

The conclusion I've come to is that this is maybe some way of reinforcing the status of elite HE institutions by the back door. Cut student visas then only grant the small remaining number to Russell Group institutions, that sort of thing. So 'proper' universities get more money and status from having non-EU students and the rest have to educate the hoi polloi at government rates.

In better news: the government is backing an SNP private member's bill on domestic violence despite the odious Philip Davies attempting to talk it out, rambling for 78 minutes about how the bill was 'sexist against men' and 'political correctness', chuntering about shoplifting, the evils of feminism and how he's the real believer in equality.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-38343735

A note: Philip Davies has just been elected unopposed as a Conservative party member of the Women and Equalities Committee.

Archived