Snatch: the tv show

AncalagonTheBlack

Rupert Grint To Star In Crackle Series Based On Guy Ritchie Movie

Harry Potter alum Rupert Grint is set to star in and executive produce Snatch, the new series for Sony’s streaming network Crackle, which is based on the cult 2000 Sony movie of the same name that starred Jason Statham and Brad Pitt.

Also cast in the straight-to-series drama are Dougray Scott (Fear the Walking Dead) as a regular and Ed Westwick (Wicked City) as a recurring guest star. Nick Renton (The Musketeers) will direct. Production on the 10-episode first season begins next week in Manchester, England. The series will premiere in 2017.

Cast

This and the ‘The Departed’ TV Series .Do we really need these shows that are based on such wonderful movies ? What's the point ? Would you watch these ?

27 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Rupert Grint To Star In Crackle Series Based On Guy Ritchie Movie

This and the ‘The Departed’ TV Series .Do we really need these shows that are based on such wonderful movies ? What's the point ? Would you watch these ?

I could see Snatch working as a series mostly because it was so character driven. The caper itself wasn't as interesting as all the folks who became entwined in it. I could see inserting these characters into other ongoing situations.

The Departed I can't see working, as the tension of that story was such that it had to be resolved rather quickly. And once it ends, I don't really see how you'd carry it on realistically. Like how could Dicaprio's character in that movie go on to work undercover with another gang in that same cit?. That would be an inevitable death sentence. 

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The Departed I can't see working, as the tension of that story was such that it had to be resolved rather quickly. And once it ends, I don't really see how you'd carry it on realistically. Like how could Dicaprio's character in that movie go on to work undercover with another gang in that same cit?. That would be an inevitable death sentence. 

In fairness, the original film is the first in a trilogy, with one prequel (which you could definitely mine if you so felt it) and one sequel. But you'd be using different actors for the prequel bits, and I'm not sure that would fly.

I still haven't seen them... Really should, love the first Infernal Affairs.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

In fairness, the original film is the first in a trilogy, with one prequel (which you could definitely mine if you so felt it) and one sequel. But you'd be using different actors for the prequel bits, and I'm not sure that would fly.

I still haven't seen them... Really should, love the first Infernal Affairs.

Yeah, the prequel bit seems viable. The Whitey Bulger character is always talking about DiCaprio's uncle, and all the crazy shit he did back in the day. I suppose that would make for some decent backstory. 

• 4 months later...

Crackle always seems to hang up when I try to watch something on it... Start Up kept freezing on me to the point where it was unwatchable... . that said, I think this show could work.... after all, Westworld was a movie (and a book)... but whether anything works or not is dependent upon how well its conceived, and written....

• 1 month later...

I used to hate Snatch, as it was maybe the zenith of the British Gangster movie craze, and possibly the most Guy Ritchieish movie ever made (there are a few contenders here). On reflection I'm sure its enjoyable if you viewed it outside of that that cultural climate, but I don't think I could ever go back to it.

This .. ugh.. looks a bit like Skins... with guns.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I like guy Ritchie stuff for the most part - not seen all his films but he's a bit like a british tarantino especially in regards to his soundtracks to his films which are always fantastic 

I think he likes to think of himself that way I'd say, as the British Tarantino, but his movies don't quite live up to the hype. Lock Stock was a pretty refreshing movie with a lot of energy and that late nighties look that now kind of seems try hard. Unfortunately most of his movies seem to follow that formula, Rocknrolla being a real low. 

I did enjoy Man from UNCLE for what its worth, it seemed more restrained that Ritchie is used to. 

I just looked at his IMDB, its actually a much worse collection of movies than even I thought. I get him mixed up with Matthew Vaughn who did Layer Cake, who seems to have gone on and done some genuinely good movies instead like Kingsman.

On 10/03/2017 at 3:54 PM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I just looked at his IMDB, its actually a much worse collection of movies than even I thought. I get him mixed up with Matthew Vaughn who did Layer Cake, who seems to have gone on and done some genuinely good movies instead like Kingsman.

Being that they're good friends and Vaughn produced Ritchie's early movies, I strongly suspect the reason Rock'n'Rolla was the mess it was is that Ritchie got a bit irked that Layer Cake was as good as it was for his mate making his directorial debut and decided to shoehorn the main plot of it into what would have been a perfectly reasonable plot about the rock and roll star, rather wrecking them both.

10 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Just finished first ep, I'm in for the rest now.

I will say not being British, understanding WTF the characters are saying without subtitles can be a challenge.

Lol, I always wonder about that. So many parts of the British dialect is never really shown on tv outside of these shores and I'm sure a lot of people would be shocked at how people actually talk to each other here, its not like in the movies. 

10 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

I will say not being British, understanding WTF the characters are saying without subtitles can be a challenge.

This doesn't help either

The first thing you’ll notice about Crackle’s new Snatch adaptation are the accents. Oh good God, the accents. Everyone’s at it. There are Scottish people playing English people, English people playing American people, northern people playing southern people. And, almost without exception, they miss the mark by a country mile. Watching Snatch is like travelling to a dimension where Don Cheadle’s character from Ocean’s Eleven has repopulated the world by having babies with Benedict Cumberbatch’s character from Black Mass, before bringing them up in a haunted sensory deprivation chamber.

Haha, well thats put me off this show then!

From that article above:

But that’s fine, because Snatch wasn’t a very good film either. It was an overpacked, overcomplicated hodgepodge of ideas, made by Guy Ritchie like he’d just been told he’d never get to work again. It was too showy, too convoluted. It was a mess. Meanwhile, the TV show barely has any ideas, which actually ends up working in its favour. All the storylines have been streamlined, and every new development being explained and explained again, just to make sure that everyone gets it. It’s shameless spoon-feeding, but at least it’s easy to digest.

I mean, if I agree with them 100% on the Snatch movie I see no reason I'd disagree with them about the show.

Archived