Stannis on the throne

Coolbeard the Exile

Does anyone else believe Stannis will sit the iron throne ever in the books? I believe so and im going to explain why he has a very good shot at siting the iron throne before Danerys comes and reks everybody.

Stannis will no doubt win the battle of ice and capture Winterfell and reinstall Rickon Stark as Warden of the North in my mind. This will earn Stannis many loyal soldiers and ships which should put him up to 15 000 troops and 60 ships. Patchface's prophecie of we will ride Seahorses seems to imply that the royal fleet will join stannis which puts him up to 75 ships and if Justin Massey remains loyal Stannis will have 35 000 Soldiers as Stannis asked for Justin to bring him 20 000 sellswords. With the full support of the iron bank Stannis will have at his command 35 000 soldier and 75 ships that are well paid, fed and equipped. That is a huge army and with the strongest fleet on the east coast of westeros Stannis can freely strike anywere he wants and if he decides to march down the neck and defeat the Freys Stannis will have atleast 5000 more soldiers bringing him up to 40 000 SOLDIERS! This fleet and army under the greatest commander in asoiaf will smash anything besides dragons which will be his downfall as prophecised by Danerys. Should he turn his atention to the Vale Sansa and Petyr would probably join him bringing him up to 70 000 soldiers and more than 100 ships. With the battle between Euron and Redwyne Stannis Will have the largest army and navy in all of westeros.

As i said i believe Stannis will sit the iron throne before being killed by Danerys dragons.

What do yOu think of Stannis and his chances of siting the iron throne?

I am certain he wins battle of ice, but I think he either returns to Wall to help NW and dies defending Realm, a proper end for him, or he heads south and retakes Dragonstone (or simply returns, I think Dragonstone never fell) and there he faces Daenerys as King with no shadow. 

In that time I think Aegon will take IT and have support of what is left of Reach (at least 45k), what is left of Stormlands (10-15k), Dorne (~10k), what is left of Riverlands (no more than 5k), Vale (not entirely loyal 40k) and if Varys has Tyrek he might have 20k army from West. This army isnt unified, but he will be by far the strongest player before Daenerys arrives. 

There is one problem with Massey, can he get 20k sellswords? If so can he do it quickly? If so how trained and experienced are they? The best and largest companies are either in Slavers Bay or in Westeros. 

30 minutes ago, Knight of valour said:

We don't really know anything of bravosi sellswords so there is plenty george can come up with there. We only really know of sellswords from slavers bay so im sure there are plenty more.

Yes, but Yunkai hired Windblown, Company of the Cat (more than 2k men), Second Sons, Long Lances (800 cavalry) and tried to buy Golden Company and had pretty generous offer, if there is some company 5k strong I really think Yunkai would try to hire them.

35 minutes ago, Knight of valour said:

He is rightful king by the laws of westeros

The laws of Westeros are enforced by a strong ruler.  They only apply to those not strong enough to ignore them.  If the majority of Westeros is strong enough to ignore your laws then clearly you have no power to enforce them.  If you can't enforce your rule, you're no King/Queen.

I believe that Stannis will discover that Jon Snow is truly Azor Ahai, the Prince that was Promised and the saviour of the realm, and I fully believe that Stannis, after much grinding of his teeth, will bend the knee and acknowledge Jon as his rightful King.

(I mean, really, you can't establish a character as "someone who will never bend the knee" and not have him bend the knee. That's like having a giant wall that "must never fall" and not having it fall!)

I think Jon will sacrifice himself defeating the Others, and Daenerys and Aegon will kill each other over Pentos, leaving Stannis as King. He'll accept it but will be haunted by the knowledge that it was never really his, as well as the horrible things he did, and was prepared to do, to get it. I think that'll spur him on to legitimise Edric Storm and name him as his heir ('cause Shireen is toast) as a means of atonement to both Robert and Renly.

Edric'll marry Sansa, finally uniting the Baratheon and Stark line on the third attempt.

I don't see stannis taking winterfell it just doesn't fit where the story is going.

my View is stannis fakes his death in the up coming battle, as he said he would in his letter, what he'll do in this time is up in the air but at the very least burn his daughter and set up his next big scene won't likely be until he has his 20,000 sellswords and facing off against Dany later.

Jon will be the one to take winterfell as its the logical way to build up his KITN plot line and continues the mirrored plot between Jon and Dany. 

49 minutes ago, UnFit Finlay said:

I believe that Stannis will discover that Jon Snow is truly Azor Ahai, the Prince that was Promised and the saviour of the realm, and I fully believe that Stannis, after much grinding of his teeth, will bend the knee and acknowledge Jon as his rightful King.

(I mean, really, you can't establish a character as "someone who will never bend the knee" and not have him bend the knee. That's like having a giant wall that "must never fall" and not having it fall!)

I think Jon will sacrifice himself defeating the Others, and Daenerys and Aegon will kill each other over Pentos, leaving Stannis as King. He'll accept it but will be haunted by the knowledge that it was never really his, as well as the horrible things he did, and was prepared to do, to get it. I think that'll spur him on to legitimise Edric Storm and name him as his heir ('cause Shireen is toast) as a means of atonement to both Robert and Renly.

Edric'll marry Sansa, finally uniting the Baratheon and Stark line on the third attempt.

Holy shit, I seriously hope you're right about this. I doubt it, but I really want you to be.

I also have a hunch that he won't be going south of the Neck again. It's something aesthetic really. The chapters of Stannis in the north are awesome. Heck, even the show Stannis aging rapidly and spent, marching in the snow was very cool to look at.  If an army of wights ever break the Walls deffenses or even if thy show themselves at the Wall, Stan will be the first to attack 'em, with Lightbringer in hand... Only to prove that he wasn't really Azor Ahai. May even be some parallels with the show Stannis, dying in the most pathetic way.

4 hours ago, Dex drako said:

I don't see stannis taking winterfell it just doesn't fit where the story is going.

my View is stannis fakes his death in the up coming battle, as he said he would in his letter, what he'll do in this time is up in the air but at the very least burn his daughter and set up his next big scene won't likely be until he has his 20,000 sellswords and facing off against Dany later.

Jon will be the one to take winterfell as its the logical way to build up his KITN plot line and continues the mirrored plot between Jon and Dany. 

Burn his daughter? It seems more in character that he steps himself to be burnt.

The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead  "

" You will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

this doesnt seem like the man who has any intention of burning his daughter and heir, the last Baratheon. However maybe Mel burns her to bring Jon back or for whatever reason, this is actually likely IMO, no one would object, not Queens Men, not wildling (the child is not clean) and NW has better things to do.

With what army? Wildlings? Sorry but 2k men with rocks and alittle bronze have no chance against Boltons+ thousand at least would die in march, now it is snowing in KL. And please dont tell me that Roose gets killed by Ramsayand marches outside massive double walls to fight Jon, it is more likely ghat Roose kills Ramsay (which is what I argue he is trying to do indirectly).

46 minutes ago, dariopatke said:

Burn his daughter? It seems more in character that he steps himself to be burnt.

Hide contents

The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead  "

" You will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

this doesnt seem like the man who has any intention of burning his and heir, the last Baratheon. However maybe Mel burns her to bring Jon back or for whatever reason, this is actually likely IMO, no one would object, not Queens Men, not wildling (the child is not clean) and NW has better things to do.

With what army? Wildlings? Sorry but 2k men with rocks and alittle bronze have no chance against Boltons+ thousand at least would die in march, now it is snowing in KL. And please dont tell me that Roose gets killed by Ramsayand marches outside massive double walls to fight Jon, it is more likely ghat Roose kills Ramsay (which is what I argue he is trying to do indirectly).

I feel stannis has to be the one to call for his daughter to be burned because otherwise he would be devastated if someone else did it and we don't really have time for stannis to work through that. that's why I honest don't see Mel actively trying to bring Jon back and that's Jon raising will likely be a "side effect" of something like trying to wake a stone dragon. so stannis would get a fake stone dragon and it brings Jon back to life all at the same time.

It can still be something like they burn the daughter to "save" stannis if they think he's dead but I just find that less likely.

as for how the battle of ice happens or what part Roose plays that not something I can say because its not dictated by the over reaching flow of the story. I have confidence its Jon that wins the battle of ice because it fits that flow 1000's of times better then stannis alone doing so.
my best guess is if Jon does it alone (with wildling army of course) he uses his knowledge of winterfell secrets passages and and goes gorilla warfare on the Bolton. or Jon could take the vales story from the show and ride in to save stannis like he did for Jon at the wall.

but those are just guesses the part that matters is Jon taking winterfell moves the plot forward while stannis doing so just becomes a road block for Jon's plot.

14 hours ago, UnFit Finlay said:

Stannis won't bend the knee to Azor Ahain why would he do that? Azor Ahai dosn't mean king.

On 04/09/2016 at 11:26 PM, Oakhearts head said:

Holy shit, I seriously hope you're right about this. I doubt it, but I really want you to be.

Oh I agree that it's out of left field - I actually came up with it backwards. Going from "There's loads of foreshadowing of Sansa being Queen but how?" and building it from there.

It's the only scenario that I think of that would actually feel like an ending though. Jon, Daenerys, Aegon or even Euron or Victarion sitting on the Throne at the end would just leave me going "Right. What next?" The Greyjoys are psychotic and the three Targs are steeped in magic and mystery. Stannis, on the other hand, is just a bloke. A bloke who thought he was destined to be a great hero, sure, but ultimately just a normal guy.

It would also mean that Davos would end up being one of the most powerful men in the realm. Another fitting end.

On 05/09/2016 at 1:05 PM, Knight of valour said:

Stannis won't bend the knee to Azor Ahain why would he do that? Azor Ahai dosn't mean king.

"For the good of the realm".

The entire series Stannis has used those prophecies to justify his actions and demand obedience because the fate of the realm depends on it. He's said, repeatedly, that he doesn't want to be King (and he might actually believe that) he NEEDS to be King in order to defeat the Others. When he discovers Jon's true origins, he's going to have to make a choice - Does he want to save the realm or does he want the Throne? It could go either way, granted, but I personally think it would be a tragic end to such a complex character. His evolution since the Blackwater has been great. I'd hate to see him go backwards.

I don't think Jon will ask him to kneel, by the way. I think Stannis will do it for the symbolism.

Archived