Xray the Enforcer

What's For Dinner, Take 7

87 posts in this topic

Steak and Guinness pie tonight. I slow cooked the beef for 9 hours in beer, beef broth, and Worcestershire and added julienne chopped carrots, oyster mushrooms, red onions, garlic, and green peppercorn while thickening the concoction with flour all through the day.

I did cheat and used a store bought puff pastry because I just don't think that the time I spend making my own is worth the effort in the slight taste difference. It was absolutely delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still enjoying leftovers from Labor Day. Hot link sausage with a big bowl of salad and a glass of Big Red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I was a guest in my mom's house so I had a very tasty dinner ^_^ It consisted from the fresh salad with tomatoes, onion, cucumbers and cheese (my favourite!) :rolleyes: Also some spicy grilled meat and fried potatoes, amazing! And for the dessert I had sweet homemade donuts made with such stuff http://jonsguide.org/best-top-donut-maker-reviews/ and a cappuccino with cinnamon ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Behold the Chocolate Top:

http://i.imgur.com/XScMkZz.jpg

This is the best cookie in the entire world. I grew up eating them and I still love them. I've been trying to figure out how to make them at home and it's like looking for Bigfoot.

Some research suggests they may be specifically a Baltimore thing, or at least regional. They are not the same as Berger cookies, though those are delicious too. Pretty much every kosher bakery sells them around here.

The cookie seems to be a basic butter cookie, although every home recipe I've ever seen labeled "butter cookie" produces light, thin wafers. No idea how to make those. Other bakeries produce the same kind of cookie, chocolate topped or not. The icing is what really confuses me, though. It seems both too firm and too shelf-stable to be buttercream; it does look piped, and it always looks like that.

Anyone know how I can replicate these at home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inigima said:

Behold the Chocolate Top:

http://i.imgur.com/XScMkZz.jpg

This is the best cookie in the entire world. I grew up eating them and I still love them. I've been trying to figure out how to make them at home and it's like looking for Bigfoot.

Some research suggests they may be specifically a Baltimore thing, or at least regional. They are not the same as Berger cookies, though those are delicious too. Pretty much every kosher bakery sells them around here.

The cookie seems to be a basic butter cookie, although every home recipe I've ever seen labeled "butter cookie" produces light, thin wafers. No idea how to make those. Other bakeries produce the same kind of cookie, chocolate topped or not. The icing is what really confuses me, though. It seems both too firm and too shelf-stable to be buttercream; it does look piped, and it always looks like that.

Anyone know how I can replicate these at home?

First of all the cookie looks like shortbread. Try looking up recipe for that.  Secondly, if the icing is firm at room temperature then look for an icing recipe with milk and icing sugar rather than a butter based icing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Inigima said:

Behold the Chocolate Top:

http://i.imgur.com/XScMkZz.jpg

This is the best cookie in the entire world. I grew up eating them and I still love them. I've been trying to figure out how to make them at home and it's like looking for Bigfoot.

Some research suggests they may be specifically a Baltimore thing, or at least regional. They are not the same as Berger cookies, though those are delicious too. Pretty much every kosher bakery sells them around here.

The cookie seems to be a basic butter cookie, although every home recipe I've ever seen labeled "butter cookie" produces light, thin wafers. No idea how to make those. Other bakeries produce the same kind of cookie, chocolate topped or not. The icing is what really confuses me, though. It seems both too firm and too shelf-stable to be buttercream; it does look piped, and it always looks like that.

Anyone know how I can replicate these at home?

I agree with maarsen, it's totally a shortbread cookie base.

Found this article, which might be a starting point.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/bs-fo-recipe-finder-silbers-cookies-20160301-story.html

If you don't have or want to mess with a cookie press, roll the dough into a 2" log and slice it into less than half an inch thick.About a quarter. I'm just eyeballing it here. If you want it exact, then you will need the cookie press.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately they are not shortbread. I found a recipe for butter cookies of the type typically found in Italian bakeries and might give that a go.

I've seen the Sun article but I don't know if that's the right cookie or not. Without pictures it's hard to tell. Might be worth trying to see... I just wish I knew whether I was starting in the right place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inigima said:

Unfortunately they are not shortbread. I found a recipe for butter cookies of the type typically found in Italian bakeries and might give that a go.

I've seen the Sun article but I don't know if that's the right cookie or not. Without pictures it's hard to tell. Might be worth trying to see... I just wish I knew whether I was starting in the right place.

They look like what my family calls 'sugar cookies'.  They are slightly more cake-like than shortbread.  I will ask my sister for my great grandmother's recipe.

She and one of my uncles have an annual sugar cookie competition.

Edited by larrytheimp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two hot dogs topped with onions, pickles, mustard, and ketchup with a salad on the side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the family sugar cookie recipe:

1 cup regular (not low fat) margarine

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

4.5 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup buttermilk

Beat margarine and sugar until very light, add eggs and vanilla and continue beating.  Mix flour and other dry ingredients, and add alternately with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour mix.  Chill dough.  Roll out gently to 1/4 inch + thickness, using as little flour on pin and board as possible. Cut with 3 or 3.5 inch cookie cutter* and place on lightly greased baking sheet.  Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or until just barely golden brown.

*Asterisk mine, not in recipe, but my family also makes these smaller, with a 2 or 2.5 inch cutter.  Additionally, although recipe says till golden brown, i feel like they are always pulled before that.

 

 

 

 

Edited by larrytheimp
Sperlling. Also, no idea on the frosting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I just slip in here and ask for a rec? I want a really nice book on cooking vegetables. This is not necessarily a vegetarian cook book, because we aren't vegetarians (although we're only eating meat a couple of times a week now). We both just really want to eat more vegetables, and prepare them in different ways. The book will be a present so it can be a luxury item (or not). I'm just interested to know if anyone has a book they love that might be the kind of thing I'm after. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isis said:

Can I just slip in here and ask for a rec? I want a really nice book on cooking vegetables. This is not necessarily a vegetarian cook book, because we aren't vegetarians (although we're only eating meat a couple of times a week now). We both just really want to eat more vegetables, and prepare them in different ways. The book will be a present so it can be a luxury item (or not). I'm just interested to know if anyone has a book they love that might be the kind of thing I'm after. 

We have this and it's 'sequel' Plenty More. The recipes have a Mediterranean bent, but deliciousness abounds. There's a cauliflower recipe I can't wait to try. And yes, vegetarian. His other books have a nice mix of vegetables and meats and legumes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CRY2O6/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, kair. I'm a lover of cauliflower but my husband has an irrational fear of it. I need to remedy this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing some pork chops, fried okra, black eyed peas, and cornbread for dinner...and of course, some sweet tea.

Am craving some comfort food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been doing some work for my mom at her house the past few weeks and she offered to make dinner the other night and asked what I wanted.  I asked her to make Tuna Casserole, I haven't had it in nearly 30 years, she was utterly shocked, she used to make it when I was a kid and we were living in pretty poor circumstances and never thought I'd want to see the stuff again, I had it for dinner last night and it tasted wonderful, I can't wait to get home and heat up some leftovers :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

offered to cook mrs lobster a special dinner, anything she wants, and she has requested lobster mac and cheese. now i am not, ironically enough, a big lobster guy. does anyone have any recommendations for elements that will work in harmony with my poor sacrificial brethren? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

offered to cook mrs lobster a special dinner, anything she wants, and she has requested lobster mac and cheese. now i am not, ironically enough, a big lobster guy. does anyone have any recommendations for elements that will work in harmony with my poor sacrificial brethren? 

I like fontina and gruyère  with lobster Mac or a lobster grilled cheese.  A friend made some a couple years ago that was more like a lobster Mac and cheese pie, the flakycrust added a pretty special element.  He also melted the cheese down in a lobster bisque.  Never had 'extra' lobster bisque lying around myself.

I've made  it  a few times without the crust (lazy Larry) but usually add some lump crab meat.  I use fontina, cream, garlic and onion, season with a little tarragon and thyme.  chuck in what ever other cheese bits are lying around (usually jack or mild cheddar).  

 

Think I used cavatapi last time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

offered to cook mrs lobster a special dinner, anything she wants, and she has requested lobster mac and cheese. now i am not, ironically enough, a big lobster guy. does anyone have any recommendations for elements that will work in harmony with my poor sacrificial brethren? 

 

DO NO OVERCOOK IT, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!

personally i am allergic to lobster, but i know fucked up lobster vs. nonfucked up lobster. 

here is what i would do... make a nice bechamel (roux, milk), add the cheeses of your choice. make sure not to fuck it up. grainy cheese sauce is something i would slap you for. cook your pasta in salted water until tender, 8 minutes will do.

your bugs should be dispatched viciously. sorry. but there is no other way. tear off their fucking tails and their claws. sure, they are live. yes, you are an asshole. do it anyway. so, now that you have those still twitching pieces they need cooked. in rapidly boiling water give the tails about three minutes, and the claws about two minutes. chill them in ice water and pull the meats from their shells.

mix your mac and cheese, add your pieces of lobster (chopped or as is). let the lobster finish in the mac and cheese and eat.

fucking gross, dude. you just dismembered a couple animals and ate them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.