What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

Scrambled eggs. Or at least they're going to be. I"m in a bit of a conundrum right now. My brother wakes up for work in two hours, so I don't think I can in good conscious make myself scrambled eggs for dinner, when, if I hold off for a little while, he can also have scrambled eggs for breakfast. 

But if I do wait to cook, what would that meal be called? While they are still in the pan, will aforementioned scrambled eggs be existing in a state where they are simultaneously breakfast and dinner?

I loves Pho !! 

So anyways, super pissed at a very foolish relative that threw out 5lbs of Smoked Brown Sugar Salmon, that I FedEx overnighted them. It was in a cooler, vacumn sealed and on dry ice, no way was that stuff spoiled when it got their next day. Fucking idiots throwing that out, they would be flogged and jailed for such behavior in Wisconsin. Grrrrrrrrrz!!!!!!!

While I was browsing online yesterday morning I came across a recipe for coriander and lime chicken. Extremely simple but super appealing. So that's what we had for dinner, with a homemade potato salad (shop bought ones are awful in my experience). It was incredibly satisfying. I'll try to dig up the link but FYI - in case anyone wants to feel as smugly satisfied as me:

Zest and juice two limes, grab a big handful of coriander, a spoonful of cumin, and a big glug of nice olive oil --> blend with some salt and pepper. Splooge 3/4 of your green marinade over chicken thighs and leave in the fridge for a couple of hours AND THEN... cook on a griddle. Use the remaining marinade to dress your chicken while it's resting. Enjoy your smugness.

Meat, all of the meat.  

As an aside, is there any easy rule of thumb for working out how much food to cook at a BBQ?  I always just scale up by how much I would like to eat and multiply it by the numbers attending.  However it appears I am a greedy bastard and there is always loads of food left over. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Meat, all of the meat.  

As an aside, is there any easy rule of thumb for working out how much food to cook at a BBQ?  I always just scale up by how much I would like to eat and multiply it by the numbers attending.  However it appears I am a greedy bastard and there is always loads of food left over. 

220g per person in pulled pork or brisket. 

a rack of ribs feeds 3 folks.

sausages chicken pieces or burgers 1.5 per guest. 

that is my basic formula.

18 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

220g per person in pulled pork or brisket. 

a rack of ribs feeds 3 folks.

sausages chicken pieces or burgers 1.5 per guest. 

that is my basic formula.

That is the starter sorted, what is the main course?

Another bbq question, eat food as it comes off the bbq in a scrum where only the strongest survive, or sit down like grown ups and have a plate full?

28 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That is the starter sorted, what is the main course?

Another bbq question, eat food as it comes off the bbq in a scrum where only the strongest survive, or sit down like grown ups and have a plate full?

eat as it is ready. and my country anyone who comes to the grill to get meat and doesn't bring the grill tender a beer is kicked out of the party. 

I have a busy day ahead of me today. It is prep day for tomorrows 4th of July BBQ. I will be making my multi olive based potato salad and Gorgonzola cole slaw. I will precook the bacon to add to the macaroni and cheese. I will be trimming and seasoning the 20 pound brisket and 6 racks of St Louis ribs. I will be brining the 6 chickens in habeneros, mango, oranges, salt and brown sugar. I will be making the patties for the 20 plus burgers by seasoning and stuffing them with blue cheese.  I will be soaking the beans. 

This will all lead up to midnight when I start to smoke the meats. I am going to be exhausted by the time the fireworks start tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

I have a busy day ahead of me today. It is prep day for tomorrows 4th of July BBQ. I will be making my multi olive based potato salad and Gorgonzola cole slaw. I will precook the bacon to add to the macaroni and cheese. I will be trimming and seasoning the 20 pound brisket and 6 racks of St Louis ribs. I will be brining the 6 chickens in habeneros, mango, oranges, salt and brown sugar. I will be making the patties for the 20 plus burgers by seasoning and stuffing them with blue cheese.  I will be soaking the beans. 

This will all lead up to midnight when I start to smoke the meats. I am going to be exhausted by the time the fireworks start tomorrow.

I'll be fucked of I don't want to just drive down to your place right now.  My phone tells me I'm a mere 25 hours to Dallas.

Archived