What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...

That was an intense experience. The Tripel (high carbonation, booze, bitterness, loads of esters and phenols) really stood its ground against the fatty cheese, rich crab, bite of chilli, and the incredible chew and crust of homemade (not by me) bread. The Dubbel did ok but lacked something. Also tried a double IPA from The Veil/Cloudwater but it got lost, it didn't have enough bitterness or carb. That was a surprise. Anyway, definitely eat a grilled crab mac n cheese with a Tripel. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

I need to go grocery shopping.  Had the saddest cabbage and potato dinner last night.  I overcooked it and there was a lack of sausage.

I'm going to go eyeball y'all's dinner for ideas.

That is the worst thing i have ever heard.  I feel so sorry for you.

I made a pretty delicious caesar dressing the other day with lots of garlic and white anchovy in it. tonight will be a salad of curly kale, arugula, and romaine topped with red onion,  radish,  grated reggiano.

oh, and a dry aged strip steak cooked medium rare in a blazing hot cast iron skillet. 

Tonight it will be homemade turkey soup.  I was early-craving Thanksgiving leftovers and cooked up a quartet of turkey thighs this weekend and then transformed the bones into a (rather thin, alas) turkey stock.  I used extra aromatics to make up somewhat and will over-reduce to make up for the thinness.  And use big chunks of turkey to make sure it has the proper flavor.  Stock should become soup tonight.  Normally I add papardrelle to my homemade soups but I think this time I'm going to cook then saute gnocchi and add them only at service.

12 hours ago, Seli said:

Bits of bacon, with chanterelles, garlic and (boiled) brussels sprouts fried in the grease. Served with brown rice. 

Sprouts fried with bacon is the prime example of how bacon can make anything, no matter how disgusting it normally is, taste amazing.

A bunch of my friends, much like your friends, have gone gaga for the Instant Pot, a multifunction electric cooker whose primary appeal is pressure cooking. I decided to take the plunge and ordered one, and I now have two questions.

1. I made a recipe in it today. It came out pretty good. But the thing people supposedly like about pressure cooking is reduced cooking time, and I'm not sure I see it. Electric pressure cookers take time to come to pressure and the cooking time doesn't start til that happens. I don't know If this was really any faster than a regular pot would have been. Maybe other recipes are different but it seems to be a common theme. Is this whole Instant Pot thing a pointless fad? I've been looking forward to trying it but I'm a little worried that I might ultimately decide it was a waste of money and shelf space.

2. Please give me your best IP/pressure cooker recipes. The ones that taste great and for which the IP imparts some advantage to doing it on a stove or in the oven. My brother's wife mostly recommended things that I might as well do on the stove. I don't need an Instant Pot to make mac and cheese.

Archived