What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Going to dissent. I really dig peas, although I agree that they really ought to be in season, especially if they're a standalone side-dish, rather than incorporated into something else.

I’m in agreement with X-Ray here. I may not be looking forward to Christmas dinner but if there are no peas I will be most annoyed.

In general I like to have peas with roast dinners involving white meat though, hence why they are a must for Christmas Day for me.

Our veg selection will be carrots, parsnip, peas, cauliflower and swede this year, I think. 

we are putting on a pretty aggressive holiday meal spread. 

proteins will be roasted duck breast with ginger-apple chutney, poached halibut and 48 hour red wine braised short rib.

accompaniments are maple glazed brussels sprouts, creme fraiche mashed potatoes, carrots glazed in carrot juice, mushroom risotto and curry style collard greens. 

it is an eclectic selection but i want to give the people dining with us ample variety.

Trying to stress the simple for nieces, who so far are not inclined to learn to cook, I made a simple roasted chicken noodle soup, using chickens from Costco.  Did a bit of browning on onions, carrots, celery and leeks and the bones after I'd stripped the chicken off.  Made stock.  Same vegetables (cut much smaller) and pappardelle for the soup.  The kids LOVED it.  But didn't love it enough to want to make it for themselves in the future. :(

I am so looking forward to the holidays to be over so i can get back to vegetables. Just got to get a wedding today and NYE out of the way and that is me done with booze, chocolate and garbage for a good long while. 

I have my meals planned for the next fortnight and my main food group is 'green'. 

55 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I am so looking forward to the holidays to be over so i can get back to vegetables. Just got to get a wedding today and NYE out of the way and that is me done with booze, chocolate and garbage for a good long while. 

I have my meals planned for the next fortnight and my main food group is 'green'. 

Quoting this for posterity. Will there be roasted peas on the menu?

Peas are awful. I cannot stand it when watching some cooking show on tv and there's a really great looking dish being created and then at the last minute it gets ruined with peas. I will allow for some seasonal use but as a wise man pointed out, what possible place would they have in a roast dinner?

Still have about £50's worth of fancy cheese to get though here. So I guess it's cheese and lambics for dinner tonight. 

• 5 weeks later...

I made a soy-sauce based sweet and sour sauce yesterday, while having a cold. I realized how much I rely on smells while cooking, I had to trust proportions because besides the basic sweet/sour/salty balance hardly anything of the flavours came through.

• 2 weeks later...

Proving simple is always best, on Monday I made a whole roasted lemon and thyme chicken. Skewered the skin and flesh, pushed a couple of sprigs of thyme under the skin, then zested and juiced two lemons. Mixed the juice with the set and some salt and pepper, poured over the bird and stuffed the juiced lemons into the cavity. Placed in a roasting dish with various root veggies roasted for two hours. Divine.

Tuesday night I had some of the leftover chicken in a salad. It was arguably even better the second day, with stronger flavourings.

Last night I had date night with myself and treated myself to pan fired sea bass with beurre blanc sauce. I love myself sometime

Archived