What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

Someone (not me) got a book about kebabs so we've eaten a load of kebabs recently. Lots of different meat and fish, but trying to figure vegetable options that'll work when cooked on skewers. 

10 hours ago, Isis said:

Someone (not me) got a book about kebabs so we've eaten a load of kebabs recently. Lots of different meat and fish, but trying to figure vegetable options that'll work when cooked on skewers. 

A friend of mine cooks veggie skewers quite often and now I’m trying to think what she uses...off the top of my head I think it’s stuff like aubergine, courgette, onion, peppers and mushrooms. Whatever she uses it tastes great though. I’ll text her and find out :) 

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

A friend of mine cooks veggie skewers quite often and now I’m trying to think what she uses...off the top of my head I think it’s stuff like aubergine, courgette, onion, peppers and mushrooms. Whatever she uses it tastes great though. I’ll text her and find out :) 

Thanks. I am sure there is some stuff in the Posh Kebab book on this but whatever it was obviously didn't appeal to me at first glance, hence I failed to make a note of it. Decent sized mushrooms probably a good 'meaty' option. I suggested sweet potato but this was shot down in flames by the chef.

21 minutes ago, Isis said:

Thanks. I am sure there is some stuff in the Posh Kebab book on this but whatever it was obviously didn't appeal to me at first glance, hence I failed to make a note of it. Decent sized mushrooms probably a good 'meaty' option. I suggested sweet potato but this was shot down in flames by the chef.

So her actual recipe calls for only tomatoes, courgette and peppers but I was more or less correct, in that she usually adds other stuff like mushrooms and aubergine. I would have thought sweet potato would work too...is there a reason the chef shot that down?

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

So her actual recipe calls for only tomatoes, courgette and peppers but I was more or less correct, in that she usually adds other stuff like mushrooms and aubergine. I would have thought sweet potato would work too...is there a reason the chef shot that down?

I don't know really. We've had a great kebab with sweet potato in it before - but that also had chicken too. Yeah, you'd need to blanche it or something first. I love courgettes and peppers (less so tomatoes) so this is shaping up to be a plan.

Ok, I have something else to share which is mildly off topic, but it's something we've discussed in this thread previously (just scroll on):

We recorded an episode of Saturday Kitchen (which is a sort of magazine show with live cooking sections and recorded segments from other 'TV chefs'). It's not really my cup of tea, the only reason we had recorded it is because Tommy Banks was on the show*. They always have some other TV personality on the show and in this case it was Lisa Stansfield (female solo artist from the late 80's/early 90's), whom I hadn't even realised was still making any music. ANYWAY, the presenter is cooking her a dish and she is sat by the kitchen answering questions abotu what food she likes. At one point she says (paraphrase) 'you go to these restaurants (gestures towards Tommy) and you get like three vegetables with your dinner or they serve you a lamb shank! LAMB SHANK?! That's like the cheapest cut isn't it, where you go to the butcher and they give you something really cheap - but then in a restaurant you get charged loads for it.'

And I was like HOW FUCKING RUDE ARE YOU, LADY? :angry2: You're sitting there, insulting this Michelin starred chef whose lovely food brings people immense amounts of satisfaction and you're implying that he's overrated/overpaid for what he does, whilst at the same time I am sure you think that your bland mediocre pop is well worth the 15 quid or whatever a CD costs these days. Wow. I was shocked that one artist would be so openly dismissive and insulting to another professional artist.

And her music is shit anyway. And she was trying hard to hide her massive ego with this homespun, I'm just little old me from Yorkshire, I don't know 'the right way' to do anything I'm just me. URGH. What an absolute horror.

*NB MC & Kair we met Tommy at a collaborative chef dinner this month (which was fan-fucking-tastic) and we pre-warned him that the four of us would one day go on an epic adventure to his restaurant. :)

isis, people are ignorant assholes concerning restaruant prices. it infuriates me. 

yes, lamb shank, trotters, pork belly, chicken livers, etc arevall verily inexpensive in your market.

but, one the average consumer hasn't the skill and knowledge to take these items and really let their true beauty and deliciousness come out. 

and two, we are running a business. we have wages, rent, licenses,  utilities, taxes and all the myriad of costs to deal with. 

yes. we are charging you 8 to 10 times the cost of the raw product. but, we are hardly getting rich by doing it. 

I popped into the grocery store on Sunday just to get some lettuce and, of course, ended up buying an armful of stuff, including a rabbit, because the rabbit was 30% off for use by today.

So I made roast pancetta-wrapped rabbit in a white wine, mushroom, tomato, mustard sauce. The recipe actually called for two rabbits, but I just ignored that fact and mainly followed the recipe anyway. I had quite a few mushrooms I wanted to cook, and probably slightly adjusted the ingredients down. Since I was only cooking for myself I didn't bother using butcher's twine to hold together the pancetta. Worked out quite well. No bundles of fresh thyme therefore tucked under the twine either.

It was absolutely delicious, and I have leftovers! Yum!

If interested, it was easy to make: https://www.ricardocuisine.com/en/recipes/307-roasted-rabbit-with-pancetta-and-mushrooms

A couple of weeks ago the local trendy organic/local produce grocery store had sweetbreads in stock. I haven't seen them in a restaurant in ages and I had never made them either, but once again they were quite easy to make, if a bit fussy, and the result was utterly delicious. :) 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Found some ramps out in the woods today while walking the dog, think I'm going to do carbonara with ramps tonight.

nice!!!

We splurged and got a dry-aged ribeye, some ramps, and some asparagus. Idea is to cook the steak (med rare, ofc) and then dress with ramps butter. Extra ramps will be sautéd with the asparagus in the pan juices. We've made Sunday evening to be our Fancy Dinner evening for the week and I quite like the ritual. 

Just now, Xray the Enforcer said:

nice!!!

We splurged and got a dry-aged ribeye, some ramps, and some asparagus. Idea is to cook the steak (med rare, ofc) and then dress with ramps butter. Extra ramps will be sautéd with the asparagus in the pan juices. We've made Sunday evening to be our Fancy Dinner evening for the week and I quite like the ritual. 

Sounds delicious!  If you ever find yourselves up river this time of year there are tons of ramps up here in Columbia County! 

15 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

A type of wild onion that is indigenous to North America and is only available for a couple of weeks in springtime. Its flavor is a mix of garlic and onions

I want some of that.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I want some of that.

On our side of the pond the closest thing to ramps is probably Bärlauch (bear leeks) - ramsons.

They have become very popular in the past decades, so that you'll find them a lot in supermarkets in germany though they're usually cultivated and lack the flavor of the wild variety. I just use chives instead (for I'm stingy and lazy).

Archived