What's For Dinner, Take 7

Xray the Enforcer

On 13.01.2017 at 4:26 AM, larrytheimp said:

A grilled cheese.  Cheddar.  With leftover short ribs and brisket in it.  On two thick slices of sourdoughmygod!!!

Oh, that sounds so tasty! I want to try this food now too :rolleyes:
And I had today for dinner a very delicious spicy steak with fried potatoes and a salad with vegetables, mushrooms and cheese ^_^ I cooked steak with using such simple tips as here on stylemann.com, it was easy (as I like in case of recipes :D) but the dish was very tasty ^_^
And some white chocolate with a cup of good coffee ended perfectly my dinner B)

Fish pie.  I never tried fish pie until a couple of months ago, even though I work as a fishmonger and my wife and I eat seafood once or twice a week.  I read a few recipes on line and settled on a Jamie Oliver recipe that has the word "fantastic" in it.  The first time I made it we both loved it.  Sauteed carrot and onion with cream and mustard powder added and brought to the boil.  Chopped fresh raw white fish (I used pacific grey cod) and spinach and lemon juice are added.  The whole thing is topped with mashed potatoes, much like a shepherds pie or a cottage pie, and baked until the spuds brown nicely.  It has become a go-to comfort food and we play around with adding other fine ingredients like celery, white wine and lemon zest.  I could imagine many variants on this dish.

2 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Fish pie.  I never tried fish pie until a couple of months ago, even though I work as a fishmonger and my wife and I eat seafood once or twice a week.  I read a few recipes on line and settled on a Jamie Oliver recipe that has the word "fantastic" in it.  The first time I made it we both loved it.  Sauteed carrot and onion with cream and mustard powder added and brought to the boil.  Chopped fresh raw white fish (I used pacific grey cod) and spinach and lemon juice are added.  The whole thing is topped with mashed potatoes, much like a shepherds pie or a cottage pie, and baked until the spuds brown nicely.  It has become a go-to comfort food and we play around with adding other fine ingredients like celery, white wine and lemon zest.  I could imagine many variants on this dish.

Should probably try lamprey in place of cod next time!

I have so much :wub: for fish pie. for me I like a nice veloute made from cod bones accented with saffron, lemon, creme fraiche and tarragon. add the large chunks of cod meat and fennel, leek and celery all poached in clarified butter. top with piped potatoes and bronzed under the broiler and you have a lovely and amazing meal!

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Should probably try lamprey in place of cod next time!

Regrettably, lamprey is not available locally.  :D

1 hour ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

to fuckery with lampreys

Right?

1 hour ago, MercurialCannibal said:

I have so much :wub: for fish pie. for me I like a nice veloute made from cod bones accented with saffron, lemon, creme fraiche and tarragon. add the large chunks of cod meat and fennel, leek and celery all poached in clarified butter. top with piped potatoes and bronzed under the broiler and you have a lovely and amazing meal!

Wow!  That sounds great!  Any excuse to work fennel and cream into a dish is worth the effort.  We make our own creme fraiche and have on hand almost always. 

• 2 weeks later...
On Mon Feb 20 2017 at 1:06 AM, kairparavel said:

For reasons I can't explain, I bought a spiralizer. So we had spiralized zucchini with pesto to accompany the rest of the meal this evening. Pretty good.

We have one too. :/

Fish pie is super comforting and easy to make.  Always make enough for two sittings so you can have smug fish pie the next day.

I recently started making it with a lighter topping of mashed potato and it makes it much less hefty. I tend to use two fish (e.g. Smoked haddock and salmon) and some prawns. 

I was just thinking of this very thread as I ate my dinner last night!

Ukrainian style borscht followed by slices of herring in oil with chopped onions on a slice of rye bread. I really felt the need for eastern European food last night. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Had lunch at this cutesy little restaurant in Bristol which is inside a container (like a shipping container but smaller) and has only 14 covers. Starter and main were great (smoked trout salad and cauliflower spelt risotto) but the dessert was a revelation. I've eaten quite a few vanilla pannacotta in my time but never one so full and creamy without being overly sweet or perfumey. The main flavour was milk, so clean and fresh and moreish. I never wanted it to end. <3

I had fun in the kitchen this wknd. On the stovetop cooked Quinoa, also made a Ginger and Garlic seasoned Chicken Chilli w/ various dark Beans and Peppers. In the Wok I made Cod and Pollock with String Beans and Cauliflower. Everything was really great and have many servings of leftovers to snack on through the week.

Archived