Books That Make You Cry

siyxx

12 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh yeah, I knew i was forgetting something. The Price of Spring is like being punched in the gut..

Was just about to remind you.

I get teary just thinking about the end of that book. One of the saddest, most beautiful endings to any story. Ever.

The Lies of Locke Lamora didn't quite make me cry but it came close when

Bug, Calo and Galdo were killed. I spent the rest of the book expecting them to pop up, that it had all been a hoax. Nope! I loved those rogues, and their relationship with Locke and Jean

:(

19 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

the opening to the Fifth Season may not have made me cry but I was emotionally raw after reading it.

If you didn't cry during Fool's Assassin you're all heartless monsters. I bawled when

Reveal hidden contents

Molly died

I didn't cry but I came close.  Also, when

we're led to believe that she's going senile

.  I didn't cry over Nighteyes, as he'd made it clear he saw his death as simply part of a natural process, and viewed it quite calmly.

I know I cried when Gandalf was dragged into the chasm by the Balrog, the first time I read LOTR.  The part I find most moving now is when Frodo bursts out laughing at Sam, on the borders of Mordor, and it's the first time that laughter has been heard there in hundreds of years.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

I didn't cry but I came close.  Also, when

Hide contents

we're led to believe that she's going senile

.  I didn't cry over Nighteyes, as he'd made it clear he saw his death as simply part of a natural process, and viewed it quite calmly.

I know I cried when Gandalf was dragged into the chasm by the Balrog, the first time I read LOTR.  The part I find most moving now is when Frodo bursts out laughing at Sam, on the borders of Mordor, and it's the first time that laughter has ever been heard there in hundreds of years.

I also cried at the spoiler tagged bit. Also towards the end with the Fool. And a few things at Withywoods.

Thinking about it I was pretty much a simpering wreck through that book.

I never cried at LotR but I do find it full of deeply moving moments. I particularly like the one where Gollum sits over Frodo and there is a line about how a birds eye view could mistake it for three hobbits. 

Speaking of Hobb, am I the only one who cried most in the end of Assassin's Quest when

(spoilers for Farseer, Tawny Man and Fitz and the Fool trilogies)

Spoiler

Molly and Burrich end up together?

Nighteyes' and Molly's death were small affairs compared to that for me. Still very sad, but I did not sob at them like in the first trilogy.

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I also cried at the spoiler tagged bit. Also towards the end with the Fool. And a few things at Withywoods.

Thinking about it I was pretty much a simpering wreck through that book.

I never cried at LotR but I do find it full of deeply moving moments. I particularly like the one where Gollum sits over Frodo and there is a line about how a birds eye view could mistake it for three hobbits. 

Especially as Gollum very nearly repented at that point.

Also "Deserved death.  I daresay he did.  Many live that deserve death.  And some die that deserve life.  Can you give it back to them?  Then do not be so eager to deal out death in judgement........the pity of Bilbo may yet rule the fate of millions."

2 hours ago, stonebender said:

Came close a few times throughout ....The Wizard Knight.  -

The Wizard Knight got me on a reread at the very end. Something about the way Arthur concludes the letter to his brother with, "Do not worry about me, I am fine." when he's anything but gets me every time.

Going back to Abraham, in addition to the ending of Long Price there's a line from Dagger & Coin that also gets to me. Can't recall what book it's in (3 maybe?) but it's when Cithrin says, "Because you bought me a plant." Doesn't make sense out of context, but if you've read the series I think you'd understand.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Speaking of Hobb, am I the only one who cried most in the end of Assassin's Quest when

Reveal hidden contents

Molly and Burrich end up together?

Nighteyes' and Molly's death were small affairs compared to that for me. Still very sad, but I did not sob at them like in the first trilogy.

Thanks for fooling me into thinking that was only a spoiler for Assassin's Quest.

Archived