Books That Make You Cry

siyxx

This year the last installment of Daniel Abraham's "Dagger and the coin" got me, particularly at the end. Usually tears of elation - something Abraham is good at providing. There were also a few moments in "the Stand" that got me as well and "the wizard and the glass". King often gets me with his characters being reasonable or sticking up for people in otherwise mundane slice of life scenes. Larry Underwood

when pleading to not leave Redman behind and in his final moments

got me.

Attenborough's "life on air" got me when he recalled his wife's death but I guess I'd be pretty heartless not to get upset at a man I deeply respect recounting an awful point in his life.

On 2016-09-07 at 0:32 AM, Darth Richard II said:

Oh yeah, I knew i was forgetting something. The Price of Spring is like being punched in the gut..

Yes, thirded or what not, Price of Spring had me using up all the tissues in the house.

The other one that caused an immense amount of tears was of course Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee.

If I recall correctly, the final chapters of Lions of Al-Rassan also made me use a significant number of tissues.

• 1 year later...

I generally don't cry at books (as opposed to movies and TV shows - eg, I cry like a baby when Smash tells his mom he's gotten into college in S3 of "Friday Night Lights"), but...I can think of 3:

As a young adult, reading the very last two pages of A Prayer for Owen Meany I cried at how much I'd loved the book and the mournful lament at the end.

A few years ago, I cried on the interstate and had to pull over at the epilogue/last scene of Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al Rassan - the reveal of who won the one-on-one battle and who lost...and the feelings that dredged up. Never mind the sheer beauty of the prose and the poetic last scene. Just got to me.

And then last year, I remember crying tears of joy at the climax of Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend when autistic 8-year old Max

Spoiler

who has escaped his kidnapper, returned to his house and is trying to get away from the kidnapper, who has followed him home...yells out for help (a major moment of progress for him) and Max's dad bursts through a window and tackles the kidnapper, saving his son

As a father of a young kid...it just floored me.

5 hours ago, Sword of Funny said:

I've noticed emotional intensity is significantly multiplied when reading aloud to a young child. Speaking the words aloud to an innocent is so hard. Watership Down reminded me of that. I'll add the end of The Sword in the Stone.

Yeah. I didn't mention it because I wasn't thinking about it, but I wept for 15 minutes after reading The Velveteen Rabbit to my son.

• 2 months later...

Archived