Moon-Cups and Aunt Flow

Pebble thats Stubby

First of all I want to say that Men are Welcome in the thread, despite your lack of first-hand experience on the subject matter.  You all had Mothers, most of you have had Wives/Girlfriends and a lot of you have daughters.

I found an article the other week talking about washable towels and how environmentally friendly they are when compared to disposable towels or tampons.  For me personally although I would consider reusables and washing them myself I don’t think I could bring myself to hang them out to dry.  It just wouldn’t feel right.  However in the comments there were a lot of people talking about Moon-cups.

Moon -ups are as the name suggest it’s a silicon (I think) cup that you insert.  It collects the monthlies, you pull it out and tip down the toilet, then wiping with toilet paper (if in a public cubical) or rinse with tap water before re-inserting.   Although a Moon-cup cost 4 times the amount as a pack of towels or tampons, you only have to buy one, once in your life.  Also from the comments people where claiming they helped reduce the cramps.

So does anyone have any experience with Moon cups? Do they really last a lifetime? Is wiping with toilet paper really enough when at work?

So now for the personal bit.  I normally wear towels.  I can wear tampons but only for a short while (about 2 hours) before they affect me, and I won’t be able to wear another for about a day.  As Moon-cups are made of different materials and worn lower down (still completely inside) I might be able to wear them without the Itches – or at least that’s my theory.

Feel free to talk about any and all Women’s issues.

I've used something similar to a Moon Cup. I think I made it through two months -- maybe even started a third -- before I gave it up. I never noticed cramp reduction. It takes some practice to get the thing in there, so if you're not so great with the fine-motor control in your fingers, you might struggle a bit. I stopped using it because it wasn't very comfortable for me when it was all up in there (I have very sensitive skin) and I decided that it wasn't worth it. I've had at least one friend who says she was actually injured by one, although she never gave me the details as to how/why. But based on my own experience, I could see it happening. That said, many of my friends use Moon Cups or similar and swear by them. 

I am a huge proponent of cloth pads though. It's really no biggie to hang them up to dry, although to be fair I air-dry them in the apartment. I use Glad Rags. http://gladrags.com/ Back when I still regularly got periods (the birth control I use now means I only get like one period a year), I would use them, plus a tampon for the heavy flow days. Worked great. 

I've had good experience with mooncups, but not perfect. They're particularly useful if you're somewhere with no good plumbing and no modern waste disposal system. Basically, if you personally have to figure out where every bit of your garbage is going - composted, buried, carted out - you don't want to mess around with used tampons.

They need changing less than tampons - about 12 hours has usually been ok, to about max 8 for tampons - and you only need the one, of course, so you're never stuck without. In terms of hygiene, yeah, just washing it out with tap water does the trick. (You're supposed to boil them every now and then for long-term cleanliness.) The downside is that getting the thing in and out - even with practice - is still rather messier than tampon or pad, and there is a learning curve. Early usage resulted in bathrooms looking like something out of Dexter, though I've got it to a point where it's ok - ie, I don't have to have water in a stall, or even toilet paper. I don't really notice more of a difference in terms of cramps between tampons, but I suppose if the reaction to tampons is toxic, then yeah, mooncup may be better. There's also some different designs - the thick silicon ones, and lighter, semi-disposable ones (one per month, I think) that are a sort of much wider, flimsier celophane cup that rests higher, against the cervix, and uses angles rather than pressure to stay put. I think that's considered easier on the vagina, if you have a sensitive one. (http://softcup.com)

Downsides is that I find they do leak a little more than tampons (especially, drawing from both my and a few friends experience, they do get worse over time, particularly after being boiled.) It is more hassle. In short, while I like and recommend it, I still have tampons around and use them probably about 50% of the time, because (for example) theres always a few in my bag, which isn't the case with the cup, or I just default back to them. Then again, I have a basically 100%, no complaints experience with tampons (when I'm somewhere with running water) so I don't really have a motive to switch.

If tampons aren't a good solution for you, I would definitely give it a serious try, particularly not giving up after once or twice, and trying the different types if the basic silicon one doesn't work. Whatever the downsides, I find it vastly preferable to pads, at least in my opinion. The actual feeling of using it - outside the logistics - is basically exactly like a tampon for me, ie, effectively invisible. 

I'm a big fan of menstrual cups.  Been using them for over a decade now.  There are several brands out there.  I prefer the Diva Cup myself, though I've tried the Mooncup and found it to be fine, just not for me.

As mentioned, there is definitely a learning curve.  The recommendation is usually to give it a good three months before making a yay or nay decision.  When I first tried the menstrual cup, I couldn't get it out and had to call a friend to come over and literally help me pull it out.  These days, there are plenty of youtube videos that give demonstrations and tips on how to insert and remove so I'd recommend checking those out.  I think another difficulty people might have is potential leakage.  It's another one of those trial and error things.  This is where I found changing brands helped.  Every body type is different and not all brands are shaped or move exactly the same.  Sometimes it's also a matter of fiddling with position inside you to make sure there is the proper 'seal'.  I don't think I've had a leakage in ten years when wearing my Diva Cup. It did take until about my third month before I felt genuinely comfortable using it, especially out in public, and maybe a bit longer than that before I worked out every kink, but I'm glad I stuck with it.  

As for how it feels, after I learned to properly insert and remove it, I really don't feel it at all.  I notice it less than I ever noticed tampons.  Apart from the rare extremely heavy flow (and I do mean extreme, the sort where you'd have to change a pad or tampon once every hour or two), I can go the entire work day without needing to empty it.  If there is a need to empty midday and you aren't in a private bathroom or a place where you'd feel comfortable using the sink to clean, then yeah, a simple wipe with toilet paper or a baby wipe is good enough until you get home and can properly clean it.  I think most people's issues is really more about getting blood on them so the wiping is really just about keeping your own hands cleaner, tbh.  

I did have a short period of time a couple of years ago where I kept getting UTI-like symptoms every time my period rolled around and I used the menstrual cup.  I still don't know what was causing it.  My doctor was anti-menstrual cup and said that it was bruising my urethra.  I think it had more to do with sanitation.  These things are supposed to last forever, but I've seen some evidence that they can start breaking down a bit after a while.  I saw some micro holes in my old one and even after the monthly boil and an extreme cleanse, I could never get those tiny holes perfectly cleaned out.  Eventually I just replaced it with a new one and it's been fine since.  Before I replaced it I did switch briefly to the Soft Cup that Datepalm mentioned above.  I liked it, though experienced leakage.  That and it being a disposable made it not a long term method.

I can't wear tampons at all and I don't care all that much for pads so menstrual cups are really my only thing.  I'll just reiterate that it's a learning curve.  If you're truly interested, give yourself three months before making a decision.  

On a different note, I was checking out hiking & hygiene videos this weekend and without fail, every time they got to the topic of periods, the person doing the video would go through this thing where they warned the male viewers that they were going to talk about feminine stuff and so they really needed to turn off the video and if they didn't it was their fault for what they heard.  It was completely absurd and ridiculous.  So it's nice to see a post where men aren't being coddled over a little bit of menstrual talk, as though it's a topic somehow genuinely harmful to them.

The older ones had to be dried and dusted with cornstarch.  It was also necessary to be refitted after weight loss/gain of 20 lbs (1 stone) in order to maintain the correct fit.

A tampon is just a whole lot easier.

Not to get too graphic about it, but i don't think theres particularly more internal contact of digits in inserting a mooncup than a non-applicator tampon. (I find that tampons with applicators DO leak, and leave me with an extra piece of non-flushable trash.)

I would say that if you aren't already a handwasher/sanitizer, it's a good habit to get into, especially if you're using a menstrual cup (or tampons, if that's your choice).  The great thing about menstrual cups is that it really limits the number of times you'd need to physically touch the various parts of your vulva or vagina.  A lot of women can go the entire day without needing to empty their cup.  

I think, aside from learning curve, the number one reason women are reluctant to use menstrual cups is often a fear of it being dirty.  If you're already wearing tampons, then you're already probably cleaning your hands before removal and insertion.  Further, you're stuffing something inside you that isn't all that clean and definitely isn't sterile.  I like that I have control over the cleanliness of something going inside my body.  

I'm already in the habit of washing my hands before and after going to the toilet let alone changing Pads or even the occasional Tampon.  I'm extra careful when it does come to tampons giving my hands an extra long scrub, thats generally down to the effect tampons have on me, I don't want to add even more irritants.  So washing hands before sticking my fingers up is not gonna be an issue.   nor is washing them afterwards.

I think I'm going to try one of these out.  although from the sound of it I guess my first attempt I'll put on while in/over the bath.

I'll also wear a Pad for any leaks at least until I'm confident they fit and seal right.

pads are sorta gross but theyre the only things i can deal with i hate the idea of tampons i don't know why they freak me out, i'd like to get into moon cups or whatever but i think i'd hate them too maybe it'd childish i don't know i just feel uncomfortable about them 

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

pads are sorta gross but theyre the only things i can deal with i hate the idea of tampons i don't know why they freak me out, i'd like to get into moon cups or whatever but i think i'd hate them too maybe it'd childish i don't know i just feel uncomfortable about them 

Well I guess to work out if you can deal with mooncups would be to work out what about tampons freak you out and why you hate them.   If its cos they go inside you, then well that’s still going to be an issue.

On the bright side, Pads today are so much better than they where 20 years ago.  They are a lot more comfortable, leak less and somehow less messy (I guess cos they absorb everything quicker).  I guess I'm trying to say the pads of the future will be even better.

On 9/6/2016 at 7:25 AM, Pebbles said:

First of all I want to say that Men are Welcome in the thread, despite your lack of first-hand experience on the subject matter.  You all had Mothers, most of you have had Wives/Girlfriends and a lot of you have daughters.

I found an article the other week talking about washable towels and how environmentally friendly they are when compared to disposable towels or tampons.  For me personally although I would consider reusables and washing them myself I don’t think I could bring myself to hang them out to dry.  It just wouldn’t feel right.  However in the comments there were a lot of people talking about Moon-cups.

I'm a seamstress by trade and made reusable pads to sell for years, locally and online. I've experimented and tested with different methods of construction and materials over the years and I've never hear of hanging them to dry. Mine go through the washer and dryer with no problems, several are six or seven years old and still work perfectly. The big thing is to use a smaller amount of detergent and rinse well. I run through a couple extra rinse cycles with mine. Toss in the dryer when done. 

I know several women who use the diva cup with no problems but have no personal experience with it. Since my flow was extremely heavy, I decided to try the IUD route with Mirena. Love it so much. It took a few months but my period has mostly gone away, just some very light spotting which a pantyliner takes care of for me. One of the best decisions I've made in years.

I don't have a dryer.  which means everything gets hung up outside.  

If its raining, I don't do washing.

Which is why I'm rather reluctant to use cloth pads.

As for birth control, we don't use it.  We've give up actively trying and stressing out, but if something were to happen, we'd call it a miracle.  several rounds of IVF did not help us either.

10 hours ago, Pebbles said:

I don't have a dryer.  which means everything gets hung up outside.  

If its raining, I don't do washing.

Which is why I'm rather reluctant to use cloth pads.

If you're already hanging the laundry, I can't imagine it would be much more time and effort to include the pads with it if that's something you're interested in.  

I'm actually quite curious about them myself.  When I had to use pads recently, I was rather shocked at how amazingly absorbent they were these days, and also how thin.  I keep a couple of pads on hand just in case and honestly, I'd like to be able to wear them more often for various reasons, but I simply can't due to the environmental factor.  @Kittykatknits do they wick the moisture away pretty well?  Which material is the best?

For those that have used them and gotten on ok with them long-term - does this include during exercise? Like during a 90 minute hot yoga class? I guess you're meant to be clamping your pelvic floor in most postures anyhow - but who actually remembers to do that for 90 minutes without pause?

I do feel a bit guilty about the environmental impact of using tampons (have never used pads in my life and don't intend to start now or ever) but...I'd need to know that cups could cope with i) my visciously heavy periods (for like 1-2 days) and my hot yoga habit.

13 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

If you're already hanging the laundry, I can't imagine it would be much more time and effort to include the pads with it if that's something you're interested in.  

I'm actually quite curious about them myself.  When I had to use pads recently, I was rather shocked at how amazingly absorbent they were these days, and also how thin.  I keep a couple of pads on hand just in case and honestly, I'd like to be able to wear them more often for various reasons, but I simply can't due to the environmental factor.  @Kittykatknits do they wick the moisture away pretty well?  Which material is the best?

If you do cloth full time, then your probably only washing once after your cycle is done. That's what I did anyways. So, it's another laundry load once a monthish, assuming you have enough to go through your entire period. 

Cloth wicks incredibly well and I find them to be much more comfortable than disposable. It's like having rough paper and plastic against my skin the entire time. As to material, how much you need depends upon what stage your cycle in. I use multiple layers of cotton flannel for pantyliners. Heavier flows need either zorb or PUL. My favorite combo is cotton flannel on the side towards me, terry flannel and either PUL or zorb in the middle layers, and then either more flannel or fleece on the outside layer towards the underwear. Minky is popular but touching it makes my teeth itch.  If you get some with PUL, see if it's ecopul. Every other PUL brand I've tried is shit in comparison, Babyville is the worst. 

7 hours ago, Kittykatknits said:

If you do cloth full time, then your probably only washing once after your cycle is done. That's what I did anyways. So, it's another laundry load once a monthish, assuming you have enough to go through your entire period. 

Cloth wicks incredibly well and I find them to be much more comfortable than disposable. It's like having rough paper and plastic against my skin the entire time. As to material, how much you need depends upon what stage your cycle in. I use multiple layers of cotton flannel for pantyliners. Heavier flows need either zorb or PUL. My favorite combo is cotton flannel on the side towards me, terry flannel and either PUL or zorb in the middle layers, and then either more flannel or fleece on the outside layer towards the underwear. Minky is popular but touching it makes my teeth itch.  If you get some with PUL, see if it's ecopul. Every other PUL brand I've tried is shit in comparison, Babyville is the worst. 

Oh gods I hate minky fabric. I'd never buy pads made out of that.

Archived