For FUN: What excluded moment from the books do you wish was included in the show?

Lady Noble

I get that there isn't enough time to include every little detail from the books on the show. However, I'm re-listening to ASOS and there's a lovely moment in Arya IV(ish) that I wish could have been incorporated into the show! It's when Lady Ravella insists Ayra be dressed proper. She even calls her beautiful after all of the scrubbing and it definitely has an effect on Gendry. I think it would have been lovely if Arya could have been given a "pretty" scene, even if it didn't last. A lot of Arya's spunk is that she is who she is (i.e. not a lady), but I think it would have added another (brief) dimension to her character.

What's your excluded moment from the books you wish was incorporated into the show?

Faegon, sure it'd be a waste of sceentime in the long run if he turns out to be a fraud but hey it'd spice things up, and it would of made Varys character much more complex than what he is right now in the show.

They could of easily made this show last like 10+ seasons if they would of kept most of the side plots.

On 9/6/2016 at 11:25 AM, Lady Noble said:

I get that there isn't enough time to include every little detail from the books on the show. However, I'm re-listening to ASOS and there's a lovely moment in Arya IV(ish) that I wish could have been incorporated into the show! It's when Lady Ravella insists Ayra be dressed proper. She even calls her beautiful after all of the scrubbing and it definitely has an effect on Gendry. I think it would have been lovely if Arya could have been given a "pretty" scene, even if it didn't last. A lot of Arya's spunk is that she is who she is (i.e. not a lady), but I think it would have added another (brief) dimension to her character.

What's your excluded moment from the books you wish was incorporated into the show?

Oh, great post!

I'm hoping Arya and Gendry end up together, and I predict they will.

Not sure about my own deleted scene from the books I'd most like to see in the show, I'll have to think about it.  It's been about 5 years since I read the books, and I've watched a LOT of show since then, memory can start to kind of mash them together.

It might be some of Brienne's questing scenes, though, or maybe some Strong Belwas stuff.  I've always felt Strong Belwas should not have been omitted.  Probably Young Griff stuff, too, I had really been looking forward to seeing the rest of the characteres and crew on that boat, but nope, instead we just got Jorah and Tyrion.

Oh, yeah, I just saw Future Null Infinity's suggestion about Darkstar, and I agree with that, too.  Also, for me, Arianne Martell and Arys Oakheart.  I still can't believe all 3 of these characters were left out in the Dorne storyline.

3 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Faegon, sure it'd be a waste of sceentime in the long run if he turns out to be a fraud but hey it'd spice things up, and it would of made Varys character much more complex than what he is right now in the show.

They could of easily made this show last like 10+ seasons if they would of kept most of the side plots.

Ohhhh, yes, i agree completely with everything you wrote.

To this day I am amazed by how they raced through the canon material, omitting SO many things, and then basically ran out of material.

I agree 100 percent that they could have milked this cow a LOT longer than they did.  In fact, if you add "canon-plausible filler scenes," yes, they could have gone 10 seasons or more.  (when I say "canon-plausible filler scenes," i'm referring to stuff that is 100 percent consistent with the books, but we never saw in the books.  Excellent examples from Season One:  Rober'ts hunt, and Robert's conversation with Cersei, both of which were entirely plausible and COULD have happened in the books, we just didn't see them.)

Another massively lost opportunity:  The full showing and telling of Robb's meeting, falling in love with, and marrying Jeyne Westerling.  They could have burned SEVERAL HOURS on that alone, and it would have been excellent, if done right.  I REALLY wanted to see all that in the show, thought it would have been awesome, but...NOPE.

On ‎06‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 5:25 PM, Lady Noble said:

this one too....

there are dozens I would have liked:

-Jaime burning Cersei's letter

-Jaime saying: I dreamed of you

-Jaime talking to Lancel before joining The Faith....Lancel not wanting to marry

-the scenes inside the cave of the 3eyed....with sunsets, snow......

-Arya meeting Sam

-Arya learning braavosi and befriending the girls

-Arya spying in Braavos

1 hour ago, dsug said:

I wish they kept Cersei sleeping around more. Don't really have a good reason, but I would have liked that. 

Well, I have a "good" reason for it, from a storytelling standpoint:

It will make Jaime turning on Cersei all the more believable.  Jaime actually LOVES Cersei, he has NEVER been with any other woman.  In the books, Jaime is VERY upset by what Tyrion and Lancel (I believe) tell him about Cersei having sex with multiple (if not numerous) other men.

By taking this stuff out of the show, they are making Cersei look better and Jaime look worse (if and when he crosses Cersei off)

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

this one too....

-Jaime talking to Lancel before joining The Faith....Lancel not wanting to marry

-Arya meeting Sam

-Arya spying in Braavos

Great comments, I loved reading them all!

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Theon's heartfelt confessional in the Godswood. Alfie would have done it full justice and it would have been beautiful. If Theon had got his exact same story of ADWD, Alfie would be up for numerous acting awards.

That could have been a really good scene. They could have included some whispers as well

AGOT - Sandor telling Sansa how his face was burned.  Sets up their relationship beautifully and it's scary too.  "If you tell anyone ... I'll Kill you." 

ACOK - Rorge threatening Arya at Harrenhal.  Also "The Innkeeper's Daughter".   Or anything at all that indicated how horrible and dangerous a place Harrenhal was.  I also miss Hot Weasel Soup.

ASOS - The Peach.  Robert's bastard daughter Bella hitting on Gendry, her half-brother.  "Lots of people have hair like Robert's.  Heck, Gendry has hair like that!".  Why, yes he does.

ASOS - Jaime telling Tyrion the truth about Tysha.

AFFC - Arya meeting Sam and hanging out with the Braavosi and actually learning stuff.

AFFC - Brienne defending the orphans.  And losing half her face in the process

58 minutes ago, Cron said:

Well, I have a "good" reason for it, from a storytelling standpoint:

It will make Jaime turning on Cersei all the more believable.  Jaime actually LOVES Cersei, he has NEVER been with any other woman.  In the books, Jaime is VERY upset by what Tyrion and Lancel (I believe) tell him about Cersei having sex with multiple (if not numerous) other men.

By taking this stuff out of the show, they are making Cersei look better and Jaime look worse (if and when he crosses Cersei off)

:agree:

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

this one too....

Oh I'd love to see these! :wub:  And Brienne called “The Kingslayer's whore.” (I'm becoming predictable)

9 minutes ago, Nevets said:

AGOT - Sandor telling Sansa how his face was burned.  Sets up their relationship beautifully and it's scary too.  "If you tell anyone ... I'll Kill you." 

ACOK - Rorge threatening Arya at Harrenhal.  Also "The Innkeeper's Daughter".   Or anything at all that indicated how horrible and dangerous a place Harrenhal was.  I also miss Hot Weasel Soup.

ASOS - The Peach.  Robert's bastard daughter Bella hitting on Gendry, her half-brother.  "Lots of people have hair like Robert's.  Heck, Gendry has hair like that!".  Why, yes he does.

AFFC - Arya meeting Sam and hanging out with the Braavosi and actually learning stuff.

good choices!

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

I'd back this one; especially since Rory McCann kicked ass while reading that scene for his audition. It would have done a great job of setting up how screwed up the Hound was.

On 9/7/2016 at 11:41 AM, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I'd like to see this one too.

- a serpantine scene between Sansa and Sandor (it was even filmed, they just cut it out)

Sandor telling his story, and Sansa's response:

The silence went on and on, so long that she began to grow afraid once more, but she was afraid for him now, not for herself. She found his massive shoulder with her hand. "He was no true knight," she whispered to him.

Serpentine scene, a proper one, with just them, and with Sansa asking, Why won't you let anyone call you a knight? after Sandor protected her from Boros. This one is nothing to fear, girl. And then of course, that kiss... not easy to show, but try.

As the boy's lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

On 9/7/2016 at 4:09 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

this one too....

-Arya meeting Sam

-Arya spying in Braavos

Yes. Come, curse me, or kiss me, or call me a liar... You are still maiden, I hope? Oh, good. I only rescue maidens... You ought to be blowing me kisses, wench... Returned safely to King's Landing by Brienne, the Maid of Tarth... Put this in the fire...

Arya and Gendry in the acorn dress scene. Sandor and Arya, This thing about your mother... I know she's dead. I saw her in a dream. Jon calling for Ghost and remembering Arya, Stick them with the pointy end. Arya skinchanging the cat.

Ned dreaming of Lyanna. Jaime dreaming of Brienne. Sansa dreaming of Sandor.

On 9/7/2016 at 6:06 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

Theon's heartfelt confessional in the Godswood. Alfie would have done it full justice and it would have been beautiful. If Theon had got his exact same story of ADWD, Alfie would be up for numerous acting awards.

The whole storyline as in the books. "Theon," a voice seemed to whisper... The old gods, he thought. They know me. They know my name... "Please." He fell to his knees. "A sword, that's all I ask. Let me die as Theon, not as Reek." Tears trickled down his cheeks, impossibly warm...

Archived