Why do smart TVs suck?

MisterOJ

1 hour ago, Howdyphillip said:

I have an Amazon Firestick that I caught on sale for $25. I have a 70 inch 4k flat screen that has a really good smart TV system, and I use the stick instead. The Amazon stick is programmable to allow me to connect to any web site, and it is easier to run through the sound system I have as my system converts and upscales video as well. I highly recommend it. 

Web sites? I have the Fire TV, and I'm pretty sure I can't connect to the web.

Technically blu-ray player rather than TV, but the principle is the same. Netflix starts playing sound before the picture comes up, response to pressing buttons (pause etc) is slow, subtitle timings tend to be off, and it doesn't show time elapsed on the blu-ray display. And the list of Apps is non-configurable, so there's a bunch of stuff we never use taking up space, and it picks a random menu item to be selected by default when you switch it on, rather than remembering where you left it. Watching discs is a much better experience. (And no, internet bandwidth isn't an issue.)

8 hours ago, Howdyphillip said:

I have an Amazon Firestick that I caught on sale for $25. I have a 70 inch 4k flat screen that has a really good smart TV system, and I use the stick instead. The Amazon stick is programmable to allow me to connect to any web site, and it is easier to run through the sound system I have as my system converts and upscales video as well. I highly recommend it. 

70inches? Holy shit, man. I thought my 50-incher was big. 

I've also got an Amazon Firestick. It really is a great bit of kit.

Smart TVs are flawed conceptually. Having all your streaming stuff tied to the TV is a pain in the ass, because if there's anything you don't like about it, you can't change it without buying a new TV. A separate sub-$100 streaming box is the ideal because it's modular. I really like the Roku, and you really don't need more than a Roku 2 ($70).

20 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Web sites? I have the Fire TV, and I'm pretty sure I can't connect to the web.

The Firestick, and Amazon Fire are both Android devices. Download ES File Explorer File Manager and spend some time getting to know how to use it. It is available to download under tools in the Fire App section. You can install a web browser (or pretty much anything) from there. You will need a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to navigate though, but those are fairly cheap.

13 hours ago, Spockydog said:

70inches? Holy shit, man. I thought my 50-incher was big. 

I've also got an Amazon Firestick. It really is a great bit of kit.

I just purchased this TV and sound system a couple of weeks ago. I had an ankle reconstructive surgery, and I am stuck without moving around right now. It actually is helping me from going bonkers right now having my living room set up like a theatre.

Archived