Why do smart TVs suck?

MisterOJ

So, a year or two ago, I bought my first "smart" TV. It's a Sony. And a couple months back, I bought a smaller one for my bedroom that is a Vizio.

It's great that I can watch Netflix on them directly, but it is frustrating to no end that you can't use other streaming services like ESPN or NBC Sports or HBO or (once Star Trek: Discovery starts) CBS. Is there a reason for this? And is there a way to make your smart TV "smarter" so that you can stream on them? (Without buying additional equipment like a Roku box.)

3 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

So, a year or two ago, I bought my first "smart" TV. It's a Sony. And a couple months back, I bought a smaller one for my bedroom that is a Vizio.

It's great that I can watch Netflix on them directly, but it is frustrating to no end that you can't use other streaming services like ESPN or NBC Sports or HBO or (once Star Trek: Discovery starts) CBS. Is there a reason for this? And is there a way to make your smart TV "smarter" so that you can stream on them? (Without buying additional equipment like a Roku box.)

I bet you can watch that stuff on the newer models. I also wonder if some of those services have exclusive licensing agreements with Roku. 

1 minute ago, MisterOJ said:

you can't use other streaming services like ESPN or NBC Sports or HBO or (once Star Trek: Discovery starts) CBS

I'm surprised they don't have those. My brother has a Samsung smart TV and I'm pretty sure he at least has HBOGo on it. Not sure about the others. 

I just have a Chromecast for my regular TV personally. Works like a charm. 

18 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

My Samsungs support lots of streaming channels (US) but I still prefer to use my Roku.  The functionality is clunkier and processing is slower on the TV.

Agreed.  I bought a smart Samsung tv for the living room a while back and recently "cut the cord".  I was not able to download a Sling tv app for the smart Samsung tv (but it has plenty of other available apps so that kind of surprised me).  It really didn't matter, though, because I bought Roku's for all our tv's anyway.      

Smart TVs suck mostly because they record your conversations and send them to third party data collectors. Seriously. ROKU is better anyway. You can get one for fifty bucks, and it's super simple to set up (all you need is an HDMI cable and a WiFi connection). And ROKU's got a shitload of apps. All that stuff you mentioned, and pretty much any other streaming service. 

The ability to update channel apps is a big deal.... I think that there will be a few online TV channels in the near future... and the ability for a TV/device to be able to add TV sites to their line-up will be a deal breaker...

on a side note.... Cablevision has a channel for Hulu and Netflix... it makes it really easy... But I think that ultimately it is kind of making it easier to have access to their competition...

5 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Smart TVs suck mostly because they record your conversations and send them to third party data collectors. Seriously. ROKU is better anyway. You can get one for fifty bucks, and it's super simple to set up (all you need is an HDMI cable and a WiFi connection). And ROKU's got a shitload of apps. All that stuff you mentioned, and pretty much any other streaming service. 

All of them, or just the ones with cameras and voice commands? My TV is a couple years old and I plan to avoid those features, due to privacy/spying concerns (though apparently your wireless router can spy on you anyway).

Samsung is the only one I've heard about actually recording your conversations, but Vizio and LG are collecting data on your viewing habits, connecting it to your IP address, and sending it to third parties. At this point I'd have to imagine that all smart TVs are recording your viewing habits, and all smart TVs with built in microphones (usually in the remote) are recording your conversations. 

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Samsung is the only one I've heard about actually recording your conversations, but Vizio and LG are collecting data on your viewing habits, connecting it to your IP address, and sending it to third parties. At this point I'd have to imagine that all smart TVs are recording your viewing habits, and all smart TVs with built in microphones (usually in the remote) are recording your conversations. 

How is this legal? In many states it's illegal to record people without their knowledge and consent. Even if something in the terms of service (do TV's have these now?) waves that away, it should still be an issue. Say I visit your house to watch a movie with you, I haven't agreed to let your TV record my conversation. 

I have an Amazon Firestick that I caught on sale for $25. I have a 70 inch 4k flat screen that has a really good smart TV system, and I use the stick instead. The Amazon stick is programmable to allow me to connect to any web site, and it is easier to run through the sound system I have as my system converts and upscales video as well. I highly recommend it. 

Archived