Trailer Thread III

Veltigar

On 17/03/2017 at 8:14 PM, Leap said:

I've seen this trailer at the cinema 3 times since it was released, and I really like it. Syncing Led Zepellin up with soldiers is probably 90% of that, because it otherwise looks pretty fucking stupid. I don't know if I'll go see it (although Guy Ritchie is usually pretty good), but I do like the trailer.

Really? I can't see anything to like about it. I mean there hasn't been a good King Arthur tory since 70's excalibur, but this looks like a poor mans Snow White and the Huntress, or a version of that crappy 90's Richard Gere movie with added awful CGI. 

Guy Ritchie being the director does not help either.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Second trailer for Transformers The Last Feminism: 12 year old girl outsmarts Men and Robots.

It looks dreadful. 

Apparently Anthony Hopkins was brought into this. :ack: why waste your talents man

Michael Bay will ruin anything. Hopkins is a top 5 favorite actor of mine and I have a great deal of his movies on dvd.

They are even tying this into cool things like King Arthur, Merlin etc. You'd once again begin to think that this might actually be tolerable.

But you can already tell from the trailers that this is going to suck.

53 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Apparently Anthony Hopkins was brought into this. :ack: why waste your talents man

All sorts of decent acting talents have appeared in these films, they appear in the big cash spinning films, and in return they get to do their smaller more interesting pet projects, that's clearly the way it works.

26 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Lol, I feel I am directly responsible for this being made having watched the anime  on Netflix! Looks kinda bad though, the anime is pretty unbearable in the way most anime is.

I loved the anime, so I can't help but feel excited for this. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, though.

18 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

I loved the anime, so I can't help but feel excited for this. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, though.

It does look a bit 'teenish'. Yeah can't say I loved the Anime, maybe it was the english dubbing, but the constant over extrapolation of all the situations and inner monologue stuff really grated on me. Its a bit of a cultural thing though, I do find a lot of Anime hard to digest.

I watched a couple of episodes of it and loved the concept but it just didn't grab me, still planning to re try it at some point. I think my main issue was the lead, he wasn't compelling and I didn't get his motivation, he was just this high school psychopath who immediately started mass murder. Oh, and he immediately rigs his draw to become a bomb? What the fuck guy.

25 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

New trailer for Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 

I love it already.  I hope it does Avatar-money and has a dozen sequels.

Odd that Clive Owens is in this as a side character apparently...   His role is probably more substantial than it seems.  Secret villain, perhaps?

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Do I detect a little sarcasm? ;) 

IT Part 1 looks amazing.  As does Fargo Season 3.  Can't wait for both of those.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

It looks like the kind of high concept genre movie that a studio almost certainly spent more money than they should've on and that will bomb horribly. Which is a shame, because I like high concept movies and this one looks like it could be pretty neat (though the leads are too young).

Whereas, IT looks really good. I just hope that Pennywise still gets to talk and isn't a mindless monster though. 

29 minutes ago, Fez said:

It looks like the kind of high concept genre movie that a studio almost certainly spent more money than they should've on and that will bomb horribly. Which is a shame, because I like high concept movies and this one looks like it could be pretty neat (though the leads are too young).

When it comes to high concept SF movies, I trust Besson. 

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Do I detect a little sarcasm? ;)

Not at all.  I trust Luc Besson too.  It's not that high concept -- it's a comic book.  The only thing close to it that really bombed was Jupiter Ascending, and that did NOT look good, in fact it looked obviously bad. 

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The only thing close to it that really bombed was Jupiter Ascending, and that did NOT look good, in fact it looked obviously bad. 

See also: Tomorrowland, John Carter, Ender's Game, and Cowboys and Aliens. And that's just high-concept science fiction in the past few years.

If we expand to high-concept fantasy and historical fiction, we also get stuff like Jack the Giant Slayer, Gods of Egypt, Ben-Hur (2016), Seventh Son, RIPD, Pan, and Conan the Barbarian.

Movies like this, especially when its a new IP or one that's not been in the public mind for a while, very often bomb. Some of these movies were also noticeably bad movies, but not all. 

Archived