Trailer Thread III

Veltigar

11 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

New trailer for Ghost in the Shell

New trailer for Goon 2: Last of the Enforcers

Awesome. I had no idea Goon was getting a sequel. The first one was such an under-rated movie.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Awesome. I had no idea Goon was getting a sequel. The first one was such an under-rated movie.

Yeah I loved the first one and am really looking forward to seeing the sequel. There's way too few good hockey movies.

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I want to hate Ghost in the Shell based on its absurd casting choices, but it looks so fucking bad ass.

I'm curious to see how it turns out. If nothing else I really like the aesthetics of it.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

Yeah I loved the first one and am really looking forward to seeing the sequel. There's way too few good hockey movies.

I'm curious to see how it turns out. If nothing else I really like the aesthetics of it.

Yeah, its a real shame. There's Slap Shot and Miracle, and basically nothing else, unless you want to watch the Mighty Ducks. 

Ghost in the Shell looks like it'll either be really innovative, well-done sci-fi movie or a complete disaster a la Jupiter Rising. With probably an equal chance of either, and no in-between.

26 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Eh, it was never established if Kusanagi actually had an Asian appearance, im fine with the casting.

The default being white for a movie based on a Japanese comic starring someone with a Japanese surname is absurd. Yes, it's not hideously implausible - but it was also an opportunity to go a different way, one they chose explicitly not to. 

14 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The default being white for a movie based on a Japanese comic starring someone with a Japanese surname is absurd. Yes, it's not hideously implausible - but it was also an opportunity to go a different way, one they chose explicitly not to. 

I don't agree at all, because we are talking about an artificial body in a country that is becomes more and more obsessed with Western standards of beauty (not making that up). The fact that Motoko Kusanagi was basically drawn with "western" eyes (like most anime figures) doesn't help.

Another thing is that Ghost in the Shell was never that big UNTIL it came to the West. It was not huge in Japan.

Also, Hollywood just lacks the Asian star power to sell this project.

Just now, Red Tiger said:

I don't agree at all, because we are talking about an artificial body in a country that is becomes more and more obsessed with Western standards of beauty (not making that up). The fact that Motoko Kusanagi was basically drawn with "western" eyes (like most anime figures) doesn't help.

Another thing is that Ghost in the Shell was never that big UNTIL it came to the West. It was not huge in Japan.

Also, Hollywood just lacks the Asian star power to sell this project.

You can rationalize it all you want, and I fully expect them to - but you could just as easily say 'yep, she's Japanese', cast a Japanese actress and it would also have been fine. It's not like it's a reach for them to go for Kusanagi as, ya know, a Japanese woman. 

I agree that Hollywood lacks some star Japanese actors and actresses as talent goes. On the flip side, one of the ways to make a star is to give them actual roles, and until you do that you'll keep casting Emma Stone as half-hawaiian and ScarJo as Major Kusanagi. 

I used to think precisely the same way - I thought GitS wasn't particularly Japanese-centric and recasting as a non-Japanese story wasn't the cultural appropriation that something like Aloha was. I've decided that I was wrong, precisely because if you don't make efforts you won't get changes. And it's not like you absolutely need a star in the role. Plenty of movies have been led by a new person who rocked it, or someone who isn't super well-established. 

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

You can rationalize it all you want, and I fully expect them to - but you could just as easily say 'yep, she's Japanese', cast a Japanese actress and it would also have been fine. It's not like it's a reach for them to go for Kusanagi as, ya know, a Japanese woman. 

I agree that Hollywood lacks some star Japanese actors and actresses as talent goes. On the flip side, one of the ways to make a star is to give them actual roles, and until you do that you'll keep casting Emma Stone as half-hawaiian and ScarJo as Major Kusanagi. 

I used to think precisely the same way - I thought GitS wasn't particularly Japanese-centric and recasting as a non-Japanese story wasn't the cultural appropriation that something like Aloha was. I've decided that I was wrong, precisely because if you don't make efforts you won't get changes. And it's not like you absolutely need a star in the role. Plenty of movies have been led by a new person who rocked it, or someone who isn't super well-established. 

I appreciate the liberal take on this, "if you don't make the effort to change, nothing will and all", but I really, really don't think this is the project to do it with.

The last Airbender? Sure. M Night Shyamalan should be imprisoned for that stupidity. Zuko and the Fire Nation SHOULD have been Japanese, as it was based on Imperial Japan.

The Dragon Ball movie? Yes.

But this? A project that Japan largely ignored, but the west embraced and has a protagonist with non-Japanese features?

Sounds like a tough sell to me, my good man.

THE SINNER

first look at Jessica Biel as a killer without a cause in USA’s upcoming crime thriller anthology series The Sinner. Bill Pullman also stars as an investigator who’s trying to figure it all out.

Written by Derek Simonds, the first installment of the close-ended series, based on acclaimed German crime writer Petra Hammesfahr’s book.

Archived