Which actor would have made a better Robert Baratheon than Mark Addy on GoT?

Free folk Daemon

I think I remember hearing that RB was modelled on Brian Blessed, not that that makes it true.  He may have been too old to play Robert but I would have loved to hear him give this speech.

And I'm not sure how anyone can say James Gandolfini doesn't have the range to play Robert Baratheon after carrying the Sopranos for six seasons.

But Mark Addy was fantastic.

He was modelled mainly on king edward iv of york, if someone can resurrect the man give it a go.

Matter of fact martun's view of robert comes from robert howard's conan, powerful, tall, black hair blue eyes, a paragon of war meant to gain a kingdom not rule it...

Phisically maybe the tall brother on supernatural or a hemsworth with black hair (prime bob looks like a comicbook bruce wayne/kal el)... Agot bob i stick with addy, or the  other two with "old movie magic"

On 12/9/2016 at 9:33 PM, Byfort of Corfe said:

I thought that he did a creditable job but if you're asking for dream casting maybe Sir Patrick Stewart.

What? IMNSHO he looks nothing like Robert.

I do agree with the others who said that Mark Addy was perfect. The only one I could also see as Robert is Henry Cavill as Robert Prime.

• 5 months later...

There are some roles, that are automatically associated with an actor. Without the actor, the role would be much worse. For example, Hannibal Lecter can only be played by Sir Anthony Hopkins, Gandalf by Ian McKellen. If another actror plays it, it can only be worse, but never better, since the actor personifies the role. Mark Addy is Robert Baratheon. He is the perfect Robert Baratheon. Sure you can play him with another actor, but you would loose quality. Same goes with Peter Dinklage aka Tyrion.

There are actors you could change, without loosing a lot of quality, some might even say improve it , for example Emilia Clarke or Kit Harrington. But Mark Addy as Robert, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Sean Bean as Ned are untouchable. There can not be anyone who fits better to the role, since they play it with perfection. 

P.S. Patrick-  a.k.a. Captain Picard - Stewart???? What the Hell?:P. This must be a joke, since there is no actor in the world, who would be more missfited in the role of Robert than him. Hell even Samuel L. Jackson would be better.:D

28 minutes ago, Dragonsbone said:

There are some roles, that are automatically associated with an actor. Without the actor, the role would be much worse. For example, Hannibal Lecter can only be played by Sir Anthony Hopkins, Gandalf by Ian McKellen. If another actror plays it, it can only be worse, but never better, since the actor personifies the role. Mark Addy is Robert Baratheon. He is the perfect Robert Baratheon. Sure you can play him with another actor, but you would loose quality. Same goes with Peter Dinklage aka Tyrion.

There are actors you could change, without loosing a lot of quality, some might even say improve it , for example Emilia Clarke or Kit Harrington. But Mark Addy as Robert, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, Sean Bean as Ned are untouchable. There can not be anyone who fits better to the role, since they play it with perfection. 

P.S. Patrick-  a.k.a. Captain Picard - Stewart???? What the Hell?:P. This must be a joke, since there is no actor in the world, who would be more missfited in the role of Robert than him. Hell even Samuel L. Jackson would be better.:D

There are LOTS of actors in the world who would be more misfitted to the role of Robert than Patrick Stewart, so saying he would be the biggest miscast in entire world for Robert is a gross exaggeration. In saying that though, there would also be many actors who would be a better fit for Robert than Patrick Stewart. And as for Smauel L Jackson being better fit, um, just no. 

But yeah, I'm in the middle of rewatching season 1 and Mark Addy was absolutely brilliant. I couldn't imagine anyone playing Robert better than him. Mark Addy may not have been most people's idea of Robert based on his physique and general appearance, but he sure as hell nailed Robert's personality. His scenes with Ned and their friendship remains amongst the highlights of the series for me.

In fact, most of the cast is brilliant. The only two main characters I wish they'd gone with different actors for as Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow. Emilia and Kit have improved, but I still don't think their acting matches the rest of the cast and I can imagine numerous actors who could have done so much more with those roles.

26 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

There are LOTS of actors in the world who would be more misfitted to the role of Robert than Patrick Stewart, so saying he would be the biggest miscast in entire world for Robert is a gross exaggeration. In saying that though, there would also be many actors who would be a better fit for Robert than Patrick Stewart. And as for Smauel L Jackson being better fit, um, just no. 

Ehhhm...I don't know if you understand sarcasm or humor...but I did not meant that post entirely seriously :blink:. All of the post regarding Patrick Stewart. Yes I am aware that there are actors who missfit worse than Stewart. Gees, now I have to explain sarcasm :D

Aaah...who am I lying... I would love Samuel L Jackson as Robert Baratheon :D. " Ned there are snakes on my throne"

Ok, I misread your post and missed the sarcasm. It seemed like you were being serious. 

Anyway, I agree it would be hilarious to hear Sam Jackson say some of Robert's lines in the show, even something as simple as "Quiet, woman" when talking to Cersei. I'm sure with Samuel's delivery the audience would interpret it as "Quiet, motherfucker" .

On 5/2/2017 at 8:52 AM, Angel Eyes said:

I had an idea for Ian McKellen as Tywin in the 2000s.

Meryn Trant voice: TOO OLD.

In all seriousness, I can't imagine anyone other than Charles Dance playing Tywin.

19 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

In fact, most of the cast is brilliant. The only two main characters I wish they'd gone with different actors for as Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow. Emilia and Kit have improved, but I still don't think their acting matches the rest of the cast and I can imagine numerous actors who could have done so much more with those roles.

A lot of actors who in my opinion are better actors than Kit auditioned for Jon Snow: Harry Lloyd (Viserys), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay), Alfie Allen (Theon), Joe Dempsie (Gendry) and Sam Claflin. If they wanted a pretty boy type, I don't know why Claflin wouldn't have fit the bill, although Claflin made it sound as if he bowed out because he had signed on to the Snow White movie. My guess is that D&D had a very specific idea for Jon Snow and Kit was the closest they got, acting ability aside. To be fair, I can't really see Rheon or Allen as Jon. Harry Lloyd seems...I dunno, too posh? Eye colour aside, Lloyd was probably the best physical fit for Book Jon: dark hair, long face, tall, lean, etc.

As for Dany, I have trouble believing that Clarke was the best they could find, although there aren't many young actresses as beautiful as Clarke running around; maybe they decided to prioritize beauty over acting ability.

Iwan would have made an interesting Jon Snow, also an interesting Theon.  Can't see Alfie as Jon Snow.  Richard Madden would have been good also as Jon.  Kit is servicable, that's about all I can say.

I have never found Emilia beautiful and for some reason I can't explain her screen presence to me does not show up in her film work really...only as khaleesi, maybe it's the blonde wig.

Mark Addy was a great Robert, his height to me is a non issue, if anyone wants to take issue with casting to the book it should be about Renly, who is suppose to be hot, hot, hot looking and he wasn't in the show.

2 hours ago, Newstar said:

Meryn Trant voice: TOO OLD.

In all seriousness, I can't imagine anyone other than Charles Dance playing Tywin.

A lot of actors who in my opinion are better actors than Kit auditioned for Jon Snow: Harry Lloyd (Viserys), Iwan Rheon (Ramsay), Alfie Allen (Theon), Joe Dempsie (Gendry) and Sam Claflin. If they wanted a pretty boy type, I don't know why Claflin wouldn't have fit the bill, although Claflin made it sound as if he bowed out because he had signed on to the Snow White movie. My guess is that D&D had a very specific idea for Jon Snow and Kit was the closest they got, acting ability aside. To be fair, I can't really see Rheon or Allen as Jon. Harry Lloyd seems...I dunno, too posh? Eye colour aside, Lloyd was probably the best physical fit for Book Jon: dark hair, long face, tall, lean, etc.

As for Dany, I have trouble believing that Clarke was the best they could find, although there aren't many young actresses as beautiful as Clarke running around; maybe they decided to prioritize beauty over acting ability.

Hence why I said 2000s, that is if Game of Thrones started airing in 2000.

Archived