If Arya Stark was trained by Barristan Selmy

SavosDeaworth

As the title of this thread indicates I would like to reflect on what the consequenses would been if BS was AS "dancing teacher".

In AGOT Eddard Stark hires Syrio Forel to train Arya Stark in the way of the sword.

After some training sessions with the first sword of Braavos, AS is training her balance and tells her flather that she is going to chase cats the next day.

ES seems to be worried and disturbed by the things AS is practicing. ES even suggests that Jory Cassel can train AS or even having a word with Barristan Selmy.

AS rejects the thought of replacing SF with someone else even if it's à legendary kingsguard such BS.

So if by some event led to BS becoming AS trainer how would this escalate?

AS would learn the westerosi way of swordplay. Byt what would happen if it was BS who was with AS when the Stark Purge was raging? Would he let the Lannisters capture AS or whould have defended her? Maybe letting her escape?

What are your thoughts?

It's interesting. I agree with the poster above, in that Arya's lesson probably would have been postponed at that time. But the topic raises more questions than just what would have happened during the purge...

I think the Bravosi style was better suited for Arya. A knight really relies on strength. I don't think Arya would have progressed as well. Even if she somehow escaped the purge, I think she would have been at a huge disadvantage. 

I can't help but wonder now, though. Where WAS Selmy during the purge. 

Another, question: What the FUCK was Stark thinking to send Arya off to play while attempting a coup?

It's necessary for Arya to train with Syrio, because her training with him isn't limited to using the sword. She's also learning parkour-like skills and control of her emotions, something neither Barristan nor Jory could teach her. Those skills dovetail with what she's learning from her Faceless Man training where simple swordsman skills would not.

I don't believe Sir Barristan would have ever agreed to train Arya due to her gender, as he always seemed to me to be traditional to an extreme in his views.

It is not as if he and Ned are friends, mutual respect for being honest men who try to stay out of political games sure but not friends unless I missed something.

15 minutes ago, No True Knights said:

I don't believe Sir Barristan would have ever agreed to train Arya due to her gender, as he always seemed to me to be traditional to an extreme in his views.

It is not as if he and Ned are friends, mutual respect for being honest men who try to stay out of political games sure but not friends unless I missed something.

He is traditional, but not Randyll Tarly traditional, he may be reluctant, but I think he would eventually agree. However, you raised very interesting question here.

To the OP, she is too tiny and weak to be trained as a knight, Braavosi dancing actually is the best style for her and it certainly was one of reasons why Forell was chosen.

I agree with people above that Selmy would be with Joffrey in that moment and that lesson would be delayed, but if somehow he stayed I am 100% sure he would let her escape at least.

Archived