Star Trek (TOS) Digitally Remastered

Martini Sigil

Has anyone else been tuning into the BBC America Star Trek 50th anniversary marathon?....  they've digitally enhanced Original Series episodes without --IMO-- infringing upon the soul of what made it great.... "The Doomsday Machine" in particular looked amazing... Most of the enhancements are just shots of the Enterprise, and they've made the planets look better... the sets are all the same... and if I'm not mistaken, they've even added crew extras to make scenes more plausible...

.... anyway... they've done a really great job... check it out if you haven't

Yeah, they did this a long, long time ago and did a really good job with it. They did an even better job with The Next Generation.

Alas, apparently sales of the remasters were only so-so, so the chances of DS9 and Voyager getting the same treatment are sadly minimal.

That's weird, I literally just watched The Doomsday Machine and thought it looked particularly good. I'm watching them through for the first time after having watched TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT plenty of times, and it's quite a slog. So far this and Balance of Terror are the only episodes that feel like true, unapologetic Star Trek episodes in the way I'm used to.

It does look like a difficult task, keeping true to the original effects when they could clearly make them far better if they wanted. I could swear the ship still flies a little wonky in the opening titles.

Did they add any scenery?  I swear I don't remember quite as much going on when Sarek first arrives in "Journey to Babel" when I was watching last night.  Specifically the shuttle coming into land and security arching out to meet him...

You can definitely tell more is added in Amok Time when Kirk and Spock battle on Mt. Selaya, it pulls back a couple times and it looks just like it did in Star Trek III.

But yeah, I like the enhancements, think it looks great, as long as the originals are available as well.

Archived