Any other plausible options for Daenerys to consider?

Lord Friendzone

I think we can all agree that Jon is best option for marriage. In terms of politics he brings the North, maybe even the Vale or Riverlands but that depends on other things. Let's also asssume he's still going to be KITN when they meet. Otherwise marriage is irrelevant.

But what about others choices?

We got Euron but also know that he's going ally himself with someone else.

Sweetrobin is really young and while it would make sense in some ways...the Vale got an army. Doubt it

Littlfinger is interesting choice but Varys or Tyrion would advise against it. Also it seems LF is dead meat next season. It' either him or Jon and Jon is needed for the fight against white walkers. also Jaime...but marrying him wouldn't bring much of politics value to the table and he's a Lannister. Hated all around and would only meant end of her alliance with Dorne and Tyrells. Same with Tyrion... who is already her Hand and she gains nothing more than she already has.

It seems show for purpose cut down all male rulers and possibilities for Jon and Dany to marry. Also we got George talking about mariage between Targaryens and mentioned aunt and nephew. Not sure if that ever happened.

10 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I think we can all agree that Jon is best option for marriage. In terms of politics he brings the North, maybe even the Vale or Riverlands but that depends on other things. Let's also asssume he's still going to be KITN when they meet. Otherwise marriage is irrelevant.

Sweetrobin is really young and while it would make sense in some ways...the Vale got an army. Doubt it

Littlfinger is interesting choice but Varys or Tyrion would advise against it. Also it seems LF is dead meat next season. It' either him or Jon and Jon is needed for the fight against white walkers. also Jaime...but marrying him wouldn't bring much of politics value to the table and he's a Lannister. Hated all around and would only meant end of her alliance with Dorne and Tyrells. Same with Tyrion... who is already her Hand and she gains nothing more than she already has.

It seems show for purpose cut down all male rulers and possibilities for Jon and Dany to marry. Also we got George talking about mariage between Targaryens and mentioned aunt and nephew. Not sure if that ever happened.

No aunt/nephew marriages, but Rhaenyra Targaryen married her uncle (Daemon Targaryen). The Stark family tree also has one instance of uncle/niece marriage (Jonnel and Sansa Stark).

• She could marry Jaime.  Now wait, before everybody shouts me down....Jaime has changed.  He just went through this whole scene with Edmure, talking about his love for Cersei.  Where did we see Jaime act like that before?  When he was bringing Myrcella home and just before her death.  And now after another emotional description he has seen Cersei in all her evil, in essence his Cersei (if she ever existed) is dead.  Meanwhile Dany is coming with Tyrion by her side.  Yes, this is the man who killed her Father but Tyrion is one of the few who understands.  Jaime broke his oath and sentenced himself to a lifetime of derision to save a city and thousands of lives.  Tyrion knows what this means, he also knows and has told Dany what her father was really like.  No one, not Selmy or Jorah or Illyrio has ever told her the complete story of her Father's descent into madness.  Now if we are looking ahead to the future war with the White Walkers and the others what betterway to unite the Seven Kingdoms than to unite Lannisters and Targaryens?  Improbable?  Yes, impossible no.  And I'll admit, really really unlikely.  But we might as well have fun with these questions, it's a long way to next summer.

21 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

I could be wrong, of course, but I believe Daario is going to follow Dany to Westeros, she's going to realize she DOES love him, and she will marry for love.

I really don't see Jon and Dany getting married, for multiple reasons, and as you basically point out, who is left???

Not many eligible suitors at all.   They've nearly all been wiped out, and as for some of the other possibilities still out there...yikes..

So...who's left?   Daario, who IS a good match for her, in a lot of ways.

Yes, yes, I know that in Season 6, after telling Daario to remain behind, Dany claimed to Tyrion that she didn't feel anything when she did that, but I simply do not believe her.   Daario IS a good match for her, they get along very well, they complement each other well (indeed, I believe there's a good chance Daario would make a better ruler than Dany; more than once he's given Dany advice she SHOULD have followed, but didn't, and things turned out badly.  Indeed, my strong memory is that in Season 5 or Season 6 she openly admitted at least once, if not twice, that she should have followed Daario's advice), and when she could and did choose a lover, who did she choose??

Daario Naharis..

2 hours ago, Cron said:

I could be wrong, of course, but I believe Daario is going to follow Dany to Westeros, she's going to realize she DOES love him, and she will marry for love.

I really don't see Jon and Dany getting married, for multiple reasons, and as you basically point out, who is left???

Not many eligible suitors at all.   They've nearly all been wiped out, and as for some of the other possibilities still out there...yikes..

Yes, yes, I know that in Season 6, after telling Daario to remain behind, Dany claimed to Tyrion that she didn't feel anything when she did that, but I simply do not believe her.   Daario IS a good match for her, they get along very well, they complement each other well (indeed, I believe there's a good chance Daario would make a better ruler than Dany; more than once he's given Dany advice she SHOULD have followed, but didn't, and things turned out badly.  Indeed, my strong memory is that in Season 5 or Season 6 she openly admitted at least once, if not twice, that she should have followed Daario's advice), and when she could and did choose a lover, who did she choose??

Daario Naharis..

Daenerys in the books is strongly attracted to Daario, while still considering him unsuitable as a husband.  Show Daenerys doesn't give a damn about him by the end of Season 6.

6 hours ago, Cron said:

Daario Naharis..

Show is very predictable and easy to read. Shireen's death, R+L=J, Ramsay's demise, Jon and Dany marriage. It seemed they telegraph everything forward.

If anything Daario will follow her and betray her. Which might be her betrayl for love. He truly loves her as Tyrion said and doesn't seems like he will be in Meereen. Just like Jorah will go to Westeros.

Dany on the other hand probably thought she loved him but that wasn't the case. Like she said she felt nothing ... when she said goodbye to him.

Dany need to make political alliances and best on is with King in the North of course if he's still the King by the time the meet... his parentage and LF around but should be a King ... if their mariage is to have any chance. Daario bring no value in terms of political alliance and Lords in Westeros would never agree to it... sellsword as a King ... not to mention Jon is her family. If truth is known to the world ... another reason for her to marry him.

Tyrion is still there... A crap ton of Freys... Edmure could be fished out of his cell and annulled... Sandor Clegane is still kicking ass and eating chicken... 

Euron is very unlikely, and is allegedly making an alliance with Cersei. And if Daenerys has any values, so is Jaime. 

Of course everything is pointing towards Jon :rolleyes: so I just settled for rooting for Daenerys to die a beautiful heroic death and reunite with Drogo in the Night Lands. 

6 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Of course everything is pointing towards Jon :rolleyes: so I just settled for rooting for Daenerys to die a beautiful heroic death and reunite with Drogo in the Night Lands. 

This. I'm rooting for her and Drogo to reunite, too.

28 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

Tyrion is still there... A crap ton of Freys... Edmure could be fished out of his cell and annulled... Sandor Clegane is still kicking ass and eating chicken... 

Euron is very unlikely, and is allegedly making an alliance with Cersei. And if Daenerys has any values, so is Jaime. 

What would she gain form marriage with Tyrion? House Lannister will be basically reduced in power to minimum and he's already her Hand and advice is what she needs from him. Same with Jaime who also got her father killed, basically Tyrells and Dorne would be against it. But with YMBQ prophecy... I think there is small chance for this. She is supposed to cast Cersei down and take what she holds dear and that is power most of all and Jaime probably. Since Jaime saved Tyrion, he'll vouch for him to be sapred.

Also they hammer us with this Mad King=evil guy. Last thing she needs is to disrupt their alliance. 

Edmure is married and got a kid....although did they consumated it? 

42 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Dany on the other hand probably thought she loved him but that wasn't the case. Like she said she felt nothing ... when she said goodbye to him.

Dany in both the books and the series is in Lust with Daario, not Love.  And Jorah has it right, Daario really isn't in  love with Dany either.  Oh he enjoys her in bed but the way that he spoke of her to Jorah, that whole "you couldn't ride the dragon" stuff, that's not a man in love, that's a guy bragging to another about his sexual conquest.  I also think that Daario realizes that as long as he's with Dany he gets all the benefits, not just a beautiful woman but riches and a Kingdom as well.  He'll follow her to Westeros and he'll betray her there.

7 hours ago, SeanF said:

Daenerys in the books is strongly attracted to Daario, while still considering him unsuitable as a husband.  Show Daenerys doesn't give a damn about him by the end of Season 6.

Superficially, those things are arguably true.

But I'm not convinced.

As I mentioned above, part of my reasoning is basically "Well, if not Daario, theh WHO?"  I'm struggling to come up with a good answer for this.  Any suggestions?   Cuz Dany being paired with ANY of the other surviving males at this point seems EXTREMELY unlikely to me.

2 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Show is very predictable and easy to read. Shireen's death, R+L=J, Ramsay's demise, Jon and Dany marriage. It seemed they telegraph everything forward.

If anything Daario will follow her and betray her. Which might be her betrayl for love. He truly loves her as Tyrion said and doesn't seems like he will be in Meereen. Just like Jorah will go to Westeros.

Dany need to make political alliances and best on is with King in the North of course if he's still the King by the time the meet... his parentage and LF around but should be a King ... if their mariage is to have any chance. Daario bring no value in terms of political alliance and Lords in Westeros would never agree to it... sellsword as a King ... not to mention Jon is her family. If truth is known to the world ... another reason for her to marry him.

Sorry, I don't buy the idea that Dany is going to end up with Jon, for multiple reasons.

I'll stick with Daario, for the reasons I set forth above.

Just my opinion, and prediction.

This show is not subtle and so many things are telegraphed, I agree. I do think Tyrion may start the talks between Dany and Jon for a political marriage/alliance. Jon will be deeply reluctant for a number of reasons, one of which will be that Dany is a Targaryen and the Targaryens brutally murdered what he believes to be his grandfather and uncle. (Remember he still thinks he's Ned's son). But then he'll see that Dany has dragons and agree to it for that purpose as dragons can fight the White Walkers. Dany will fall for him (not sure that will be reciprocated though--I'm tired of every man falling madly in love with Dany--it's irritating) and then once they're about to get married or consummate the relationship, Bran or Howland Reed comes forth and tells him Dany is his aunt. And that's it. I don't see D & D wanting to sully the Jesus Christ/George Washington/Dudley Dooright of the show with the taint of incest. No way will they fuck--most of the Western audiences who watch the show will not like it because they're aunt and nephew (I include myself in this group). Plus, Jon will NEVER go through with it once he finds out Dany's his aunt. Again, he was raised a Stark--not a decadent, incestuous Targaryen. And Jon is basically Ned 2.0. 

Honestly, I don't think either Jon or Dany will end up on the Iron Throne. I think it'll be Tyrion...and Sansa. But Jon will die a hero, of course. 

15 hours ago, Cron said:

I really don't see Jon and Dany getting married, for multiple reasons

Such as?

1 hour ago, Darksky said:

Such as?

(1) They barely know each other (no current reason to believe they are attracted to each other or even compatible; I'll get to the political stuff soon enough)

(2) There's unlikely to be enough time to develop a relationship (not only are there only 13 episodes left, but I'm guessing the characters are going to be real busy with battles and such, not lounging around nurturing romantic relationships)

(3)  I don't believe Jon would marry someone he doesn't love, and thus I believe all the "political" bases for a marriage between Dany and Jon are moot;

(4)  We KNOW Dany would marry someone she doesn't love (indeed, she already HAS, twice), but I believe her third marriage WILL be for love, not for political reasons;

(5)  Neither of them really NEED to marry for political reasons (they both have arguable claims in their own right, Jon is ALREADY King in the North and I don't believe he aspires to more anyway. and since they're both Targaryens that line is redundant.  Further, I believe the final "winner(s)" of the "Game of Thrones" will be a "three headed Dragon tri-archy" anyway, and it will NOT be necessary for any of the three to be married in order for that to happen); and

(6)   Dany is Jon's aunt, and I just don't believe the show or the books are going to have them get married.   That is simply my belief, that the show and books are not going to do that.

I might be able to think of more, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

By the way, note that none of what I just wrote above is an obstacle to a Dany/Daario marriage, and as I've already said above, "who else is there???"  Some random guy we are suddenly going to be introduced to with SIXTY  episodes done and only THIRTEEN to go?  Naw, that seems really unlikely to me, to say the least  I think we've already met Dany's next husband, and the name I keep coming back to over and over again is...Daario Naharis..

I had an idea the other day - maybe Dany marries Gendry?  He's the last of the Baratheon line, he won't challenge her authority to rule, he might lend legitamacy to her as blood of Robert Baratheon (she is bringing dothraki), and he has the view of the common people.  He also made a comment about wanting to be in the Brotherhood because they cared for the common folk, and that the Brotherhood was choosing to follow Dondarrian.  Dany seems to care about the poor and seems to generate loyalty in the show, so I wonder if that would appeal to him as well.  

If Dany and Jon do have a betrothal, I actually think it would end with him breaking it (perhaps he is the betrayal for love?)

Just some thoughts/speculation.

24 minutes ago, willowbark said:

I had an idea the other day - maybe Dany marries Gendry?  He's the last of the Baratheon line, he won't challenge her authority to rule, he might lend legitamacy to her as blood of Robert Baratheon (she is bringing dothraki), and he has the view of the common people.  He also made a comment about wanting to be in the Brotherhood because they cared for the common folk, and that the Brotherhood was choosing to follow Dondarrian.  Dany seems to care about the poor and seems to generate loyalty in the show, so I wonder if that would appeal to him as well.  

If Dany and Jon do have a betrothal, I actually think it would end with him breaking it (perhaps he is the betrayal for love?)

Just some thoughts/speculation.

I agree with you. Gendry is also a hunk who can fight and is strong--and Dany likes that. BTW, Joe Dempsie (who played Gendry) was sighted in Belfast...

Archived