Wearing a suit to a black tie wedding?

White Walker Texas Ranger

I have a wedding this weekend that's a few hours away by plane. Like an idiot, I just realized that it's supposed to be a black tie event. Unfortunately I don't own a tux.

Is it too late to call a local place and rent a tux for the weekend? What if I just wear a decently nice suit?

A few of my friends told me they're not planning on wearing tuxes. One will just wear a suit, while another will wear a suit with a bowtie.

1 minute ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I have a wedding this weekend that's a few hours away by plane. Like an idiot, I just realized that it's supposed to be a black tie event. Unfortunately I don't own a tux.

Is it too late to call a local place and rent a tux for the weekend? What if I just wear a decently nice suit?

Not too late for a good rental place methinks. As far as wearing a nice suit, I'd get the opinion of someone in the wedding party if at all possible. 

3 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Get the opinion of those in the know with the wedding if you can. If you go with a nice suit in lieu of a tux, make sure it's a black suit for heaven's sake.

My only suit colors are navy and charcoal, so I guess I'll just try a last minute rental.

46 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

You can get one of those tuxedo-printed t-shirts to go with some tight black yoga pants. Just don't forget a sequined cummerbund.

:lol:

I'd say try and go to a rental place if you can, you could wing it with a suit but if they specifically asked for black tie and it's feasible to do it, try and honour that 

I'm all about promoting sartorial excellence but in this case, unless 70%+ of male guests will be in black tie, I'd wear a suit with a tie & pocket square combo that's festive rather than business. 

A good suit that actually fits you is better than a rental. 

I used to own a tux.  I wore it twice in a decade.  When I went to wear it a third time, it was so hopelessly out of style -- boxy jacket and pleated pants -- (despite $200 in alterations the second time I wore it) that I donated it and went with a rental instead.  I hated the rental.  It was like a potato sack compared to my own suits. 

Tuxedos are tough.  Very few people have a lifestyle that supports the outlay to own a good one, and no-one wants to wear a pig-ugly rental.  Tell the preppy douche groom that your tailor would be on suicide watch if you wore a rental and you are sure he understands how tempermental true artists can be. 

Not sure its that uncommon. I've been to two wedding that were black tie "optional" (specifically said that on the invitation) in the past couple years. The idea was, wear a tux if you can/want to; but its fine to wear a black suit instead. Ties/pocket squares/vests as festive as you want.

For your case, I dunno if they're okay with the 'optional' part, but its usually pretty easy to rent a tux on short notice. The complicated part that takes time is getting one that fits the groom's requirements and is altered to best fit you, but that's only a issue for the wedding party. For everyone else, if you don't care that its a bit too baggy or whatever, short notice should be fine.

And just be glad you've never had to go to a white tie wedding. I almost did once, but the couple eventually changed their minds and were one of the black tie weddings.

Archived