Star Wars Rogue One: Now With Less Rouge

Myrddin

I was concerned about it being the first Star Wars movie without Williams, but that score is pretty amazing (assuming it's from the film and not from somewhere else).

I am completely and utterly blown away by the CGI in this. They've either taken it up to a new level or they're deliberately framing shots more like motion control. The Star Destroyers next to the Death Star and the X-wings attacking the space station look like model shots, 100%. Some of the other stuff is more obviously CG (the cargo-walkers on the planet, the Star Destroyer hanging over the city) but the space stuff looks absolutely fantastic.

The movie looks great, but I don't like that trailer for the simple reason that it gives far too much of the plot away. I hate when trailers do that, and I thought the Ep. VII promotion did a lot better at avoiding it. Guess I'm done with paying attention to the marketing at this point; don't want everything spoiled before I see the movie.

17 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I was concerned about it being the first Star Wars movie without Williams, but that score is pretty amazing (assuming it's from the film and not from somewhere else).

I am completely and utterly blown away by the CGI in this. They've either taken it up to a new level or they're deliberately framing shots more like motion control. The Star Destroyers next to the Death Star and the X-wings attacking the space station look like model shots, 100%. Some of the other stuff is more obviously CG (the cargo-walkers on the planet, the Star Destroyer hanging over the city) but the space stuff looks absolutely fantastic.

I'm tempted to say that, based on the trailer at least, this is the best looking movie there has ever been. 

I'm also thinking that this looks like an even better movie than TFA.

1 minute ago, Guess who's back said:

The trailer looks awful like one of those generic blockbusters that come out few times every year and flop or barely make any profit. Doesn't feel anything like star wars. 

It has a very Star Wars-EU feel to it, to me. 

27 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I agree that the music is great, but I also don't think it's part of the actual soundtrack. It sounds a lot of like the music you hear for most trailers. That being said I have confidence that Michael Giacchino will create a decent score. He did so for the Star Trek movies.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I agree that the music is great, but I also don't think it's part of the actual soundtrack. It sounds a lot of like the music you hear for most trailers. That being said I have confidence that Michael Giacchino will create a decent score. He did so for the Star Trek movies.

I thought Alexandre Desplat was doing it? * goes to Wiki * Oh, he's been replaced? Argh. Giacchino's very variable, sometimes great and sometimes very humdrum. When he's on form he can be very inspired though.

If it's a temp track, it must be from some other Star Wars project, as there's that slow piano version of the Imperial March near the start of the trailer which is totally boss.

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I thought Alexandre Desplat was doing it? * goes to Wiki * Oh, he's been replaced? Argh. Giacchino's very variable, sometimes great and sometimes very humdrum. When he's on form he can be very inspired though.

If it's a temp track, it must be from some other Star Wars project, as there's that slow piano version of the Imperial March near the start of the trailer which is totally boss.

Of course Giacchino is doing it. He's buddies with JJ, and since there is no way that LucasFilm would have agreed to replace Williams with him, JJ must have gotten him this gig as consolation. 

The music for the TFA trailers, while still having the Star Wars themes was arranged by other people, so probably it's the same case here.

A neat trailer, which, unfortunately confirms my earlier impression that there are very few beings of female persuasion included in this movie, even as extras, which feels like a bit of a slap at this late date. All the more so since the new canon books, Rebels series and TFA created an impression that this bullshit was being gradually put behind us. And all the aliens that have been described so far were referred to as male too, ditto the droid. Bleargh.

Even our protagonist only gets involved because of her connection to her father, otherwise it would have been a total sausage fest among the rebels, it seems. Because women would never become involved in a rebellion just due to ideals or anything...

Seriously, that was their chance to modernise the OT time period and they give us this regressive stuff? I am grateful for a female protagonist, but one woman doesn't a decent or plausible representation make, when 90% of the cast is male for no good reason.

That's Eunice Olumide, who is playing the representative of a planet that's joined the Rebel Alliance (I think). The only other female roles announed so far are Mon Mothma, Jyn and her mother so yes, it's a bit less representative than TFA. The lack of female villains also seems to be a missed opportunity.

Given the subject matter, it would have been fun to thrown in a New Canon version of Admiral Daala, but alas I guess not.

I was curious, so I looked it up. IMDb lists the announced cast so far: there are around 7 times as many male cast as female cast. So, yeah, 90% is hyperbole. It's only, like, 85% or so.

Hadn't looked at the cast list, so I didn't realize it was that bad. However, I do think that TFA and this movie have shown some progress considering the female leads. I personally wouldn't direct criticism towards a franchise that at least appears to be trying when there are other Disney properties, among others, that have really screwed the pooch on gender equality. I'm looking at you Marvel. Where is my Black Widow movie!

I know that Star Wars is not alone as it pertains to movie franchises, but to me, even more than most (whit the exception of the Jurassic series, which is the worst offender), I think they feel like they can make movies that really aren't written well, show us a trailer with the iconic images with the score playing in the background... and we'll all keep going to see it like suckers.

That said, I'm going to see this, like a sucker... but I would not be surprised if I will be disappointed by some Ewok-esque child marketing and a betrayal of their own cannon (like how Finn lasted more than 3 seconds in a light saber fight with the emo Sith) so as to spin-off the spin off.... maybe they can open a new ride in Disney World....

I hate being a cynical asshole... the asshole part comes naturally, but I am not cynical by nature.

Archived